[comp.unix.aux] GnuEmacs 18.54 & Gnubash

petechen@porthos.rutgers.edu (Peter Chen) (07/30/90)

Hi,
	Has any one successfuly compiled either GnuEmacs 18.54 or
Gnubash under A/UX 2.0?  I am using gcc-1.37.91 with the GnuEmacs
18.54 source from apple.com.  I followed the instruction for
installation and sadly found that it's missing the file s-aux-2.0.h.
If anybody has any helpful hints, do tell.
	Oh, I almost forgot about "bash."  In case, you haven't heard
of it, it's a superset of Bourn shell.  I want to compile it for A/UX since
it has the file completion feature which none of the shell included
under A/UX does.

Peter Chen

steveg@umd5.umd.edu (Steve Green) (07/30/90)

In article <Jul.30.10.10.07.1990.11102@porthos.rutgers.edu> petechen@porthos.rutgers.edu (Peter Chen) writes:
)Hi,
)[...]
)	Oh, I almost forgot about "bash."  In case, you haven't heard
)of it, it's a superset of Bourn shell.  I want to compile it for A/UX since
)it has the file completion feature which none of the shell included
)under A/UX does.
)
)Peter Chen

Well, I did a port of bash to AUX if anybody wants the diffs.  As a
warning though, I dont claim to know what I am doing in all cases.
It seems to work ok but I really dont use it enough.

If enough people want them, I will go ahead and post em and/or
make them available for ftp.

--
steveg@umd5.umd.edu

rmtodd@uokmax.uucp (Richard Michael Todd) (07/31/90)

petechen@porthos.rutgers.edu (Peter Chen) writes:
>Hi,
>	Has any one successfuly compiled either GnuEmacs 18.54 or
>Gnubash under A/UX 2.0?  I am using gcc-1.37.91 with the GnuEmacs
>18.54 source from apple.com.  I followed the instruction for
>installation and sadly found that it's missing the file s-aux-2.0.h.
>If anybody has any helpful hints, do tell.
   Well, I've compiled it, but it's hard to call it a success, since the
resulting xemacs binary freaks totally (doesn't even redraw the screen when
suspended and "fg"ed).  I used the s-aux-1.1.h include file.  I used
gcc-1.37.91 and the GNU Emacs 18.54 source from wuarchive (which I assume
is the same one as the one on apple.com...).  One doesn't get a working
xemacs binary when compiled with cc either.  I suspect it's because of the
weirdness in the crt*.o files in 2.0 now that they support shared libs.
Tonight I plan to pull the A/UX 1.1 crt0.o and libc.a files off my backup
tapes and try linking with those, maybe this will work.
  Anybody succesfully build GNU Emacs 18.54 under A/UX 2.0?  How'd you do it?
--
Richard Todd   rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us  or  rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) (07/31/90)

rmtodd@uokmax.uucp (Richard Michael Todd) writes:
>weirdness in the crt*.o files in 2.0 now that they support shared libs.
>Tonight I plan to pull the A/UX 1.1 crt0.o and libc.a files off my backup
>tapes and try linking with those, maybe this will work.

  Sigh.  It didn't.  So what the heck changed?  Can't be too fundamental an
incompatibility between A/UX 1.1 crt0.o/libc.a and A/UX 2.0, as all sorts of
executables compiled under A/UX 1.1, including Emacs 18.44, still run just
fine.  Something weird's going on here...

>  Anybody succesfully build GNU Emacs 18.54 under A/UX 2.0?  How'd you do it?
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd@servalan.uucp

coolidge@casca.cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (08/01/90)

I haven't done anything about Emacs yet (it's still buried in the
to-do queue). However, my port of bash 1.06 is now ready for
release!

Bash-1.06 for A/UX is available for anonymous ftp from
wuarchive.wustl.edu in the systems/aux/gnu directory. There are
three files available:

bash-1.06.aux.diffs.Z		Patches to make bash-1.06 work with A/UX.
bash-1.06.aux.tar.Z		Pre-patched bash-1.06 sources.
bash-1.06.Z			Bash-1.06 for A/UX 2.0 (binary, not tar).

The patches for A/UX are fairly minimal and mainly affect job
control, signals, and compatibility modes. I've included the
bash-Makefile that I used to build bash (bash-Makefile is
generated by the main Makefile, but a couple of things needed
to be tweaked).

--John

John L. Coolidge     Internet:coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP:uiucdcs!coolidge
Of course I don't speak for the U of I (or anyone else except myself)
Copyright 1990 John L. Coolidge. Copying allowed if (and only if) attributed.
You may redistribute this article if and only if your recipients may as well.

coolidge@cassius.cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (08/02/90)

coolidge@casca.cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) writes:
>Bash-1.06 for A/UX is available for anonymous ftp from
>wuarchive.wustl.edu in the systems/aux/gnu directory. There are
>three files available:

I have been informed by several people that the bash-1.06 I used
for the port is most likely a beta release. I got it from someone
who claimed it was a real release, but there's no real evidence
that it is. Therefore, until it's cleaned up I've changed the
names on wuarchive to reflect the probable betaness of the code.

That being said, it works fine for me (I'm using it as my login
shell).

Sorry about this... :-(

--John

John L. Coolidge     Internet:coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP:uiucdcs!coolidge
Of course I don't speak for the U of I (or anyone else except myself)
Copyright 1990 John L. Coolidge. Copying allowed if (and only if) attributed.
You may redistribute this article if and only if your recipients may as well.

shaff@elements.rpal.com (Mike Shaff) (08/02/90)

ciao,

I am tracking down some floating point information for A/UX 2.0, can anyone
confirm or deny these numbers:

Number of mantissa bits 23
Exponent size 8
Maximum exponent ((1 << Exponent size) - 2)

These were found in /usr/local/include/sys/fp.h.

--
	mas