[comp.unix.aux] NonApple Monitors with AUX?

tlunde@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Thomas Lunde) (07/22/90)

In Comp.sys.mac.hardware Brian Bechtel (blob@applecom) writes:

>  If you mean X11R4 under A/UX, you'll need A/UX, and again,
>probably want a larger screen as an add-on (if one exists which works with
>A/UX.  I don't know if one does or not.)

Which leaves the logical question:

     Are there any known third party monitor solutions ( SE/30 specific )
which DO NOT work with AUX?  If anyone has any first-hand experience working
with a successful SE/30 setup, please detail the system.

Please respond by email.  If there is sufficient interest, i'll summarize to
the net.

Thank you,

Thomas Lunde  tlunde@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu

jordan@Morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) (07/26/90)

Brian Bechtel <blob@apple.com> writes:

	... you'll probably want a larger screen as an add-on (if one
	exists which works with A/UX.  I don't know if one does or
	not).

Erf, does anyone know if the Radius Pivot works with A/UX 2.0?

/jordan

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (07/28/90)

jordan@Morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) writes:

>Brian Bechtel <blob@apple.com> writes:

>	... you'll probably want a larger screen as an add-on (if one
>	exists which works with A/UX.  I don't know if one does or
>	not).
>
>Erf, does anyone know if the Radius Pivot works with A/UX 2.0?

Absolutely!  I tested it myself, and I know at least ONE person on the A/UX
development team who HAS one on her desk...  A caveat (at least in versions
1.1.1 and 2.0 of A/UX) is that it will only work properly in the portrait
mode.  Flipping on the fly is not currently supported under A/UX, although
you MAY someday (soon?) be able to boot in landscape mode.  This is
not by any means a guarantee, so don't quote me...

>/jordan

--Steve

--
----- Steve Lemke, Engineering Quality Assurance, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- Reply to: lemke@radius.com     (Note: NEW domain-style address!!) -----

francis@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) (07/28/90)

<
<Absolutely!  I tested it myself, and I know at least ONE person on the A/UX
<development team who HAS one on her desk...  A caveat (at least in versions
<1.1.1 and 2.0 of A/UX) is that it will only work properly in the portrait
<mode....

Umm, in other words, the Radius Pivot monitor works, as long as all
you really want (at least in A/UX) is a portrait monitor.  In other
other words, for A/UX, the Pivot monitor works except for its most
useful feature, the one which would probably be the major reason to
buy it?

I'd assume that, for anyone who always runs under A/UX, and doesn't
like to count on possible future updates, the Pivot monitor isn't
necessarily the one you want to buy?
--
R David Francis   francis@cis.ohio-state.edu

dales@Apple.COM (Dale Satterfield) (08/02/90)

In article <82497@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> francis@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) writes:
>In article <1298@radius.com> lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) writes:
><jordan@Morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) writes:
><>Erf, does anyone know if the Radius Pivot works with A/UX 2.0?

I am using a RasterOps 224 Board with a 19 in. color display with 2.0 and it works fine. I did have to get a ROM upgrade from RasterOps originally to make it work with A/UX.