[comp.unix.aux] monitors??

sbulmahn@yoyodyne.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Dr Thrasher) (07/27/90)

I have a second monitor (with the monitor card) connected to my Mac IIx.
It works perfect under Mac OS, but when I launch A/UX, it stops getting recognized
about half way thru the A/UX boot process. Is there any kind of init that
I need to install to have A/UX 2.0 recogize that indeed I DO have a second
monitor?

Thanks in advance,
Scott Bulmahn
sbulmahn@yoyodyne.ncsa.uiuc.edu
smb31317@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
--

justin@Apple.COM (Justin Walker) (07/27/90)

In article <1990Jul26.175047.22784@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> sbulmahn@yoyodyne.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Dr Thrasher) writes:
>I have a second monitor (with the monitor card) connected to my Mac IIx.
	A/UX does not support multiple monitors.  It uses the "first" monitor
	found as its screen.

>Thanks in advance,
>Scott Bulmahn
>sbulmahn@yoyodyne.ncsa.uiuc.edu
>smb31317@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu
>--

Regards,

Justin

Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large   *
A/UX Group                              |  When meetings are outlawed,
Apple Computer, Inc.                    |    Only outlaws will have meetings
10440 Bubb Rd,                          |
Cupertino, CA 95014                     |
*---------------------------------------*------------------------------------*
--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large   (justin@apple.com) *
A/UX Group                              *------------------|

purtill@athena.mit.edu (Mark R Purtill) (07/28/90)

In article <43377@apple.Apple.COM>, justin@Apple.COM (Justin Walker) writes:
|> In article <1990Jul26.175047.22784@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
sbulmahn@yoyodyne.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Dr Thrasher) writes:
|> >I have a second monitor (with the monitor card) connected to my Mac
IIx.
|> 	A/UX does not support multiple monitors.  It uses the "first"
monitor
|> 	found as its screen.

	Any plans on fixing this?  As it is, my plans to buy an SE/30,
AU/X, and a large monitor seem rather pointless (I assume the internal
monitor is "first").  At the VERY LEAST, the user should be able to
choose which monitor to use, and I don't see any reason why multiple
monitors shouldn't be supported.

Mark Purtill
^.-.^ purtill@math.mit.edu (if that fails, try: purtill@athena.mit.edu)
((")) \@_: Dept. of Math., MIT 2-229, Cambridge, MA 02139;
(617)623-6238
** This data expires August 31.  Watch this space for details. **

justin@Apple.COM (Justin Walker) (07/31/90)

In article <1990Jul27.210512.26962@athena.mit.edu> Mark Purtill <purtill@math.mit.edu> writes:

>In article <43377@apple.Apple.COM>, justin@Apple.COM (Justin Walker) writes:
>|> In article <1990Jul26.175047.22784@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
>sbulmahn@yoyodyne.ncsa.uiuc.edu (Dr Thrasher) writes:
>	Any plans on fixing this?  As it is, my plans to buy an SE/30,
>AU/X, and a large monitor seem rather pointless (I assume the internal
>monitor is "first").  At the VERY LEAST, the user should be able to
>choose which monitor to use, and I don't see any reason why multiple
>monitors shouldn't be supported.
	Of course, all of this is just a simple matter of programming, so
	you're right (:-}).  For the SE/30, the internal video is "slot E",
	so the PDS is probably faked to be a lower-numbered NB slot.
	Therefore, there is some chance that the video board of your choice
	will work.  At the same time, you should be forwarned that there are
	no guarantees about which 3rd party boards will work with A/UX.  Let
	me know what you are planning to use.  We or someone on the net may
	have more info.

>Mark Purtill

Regards,

Justin

Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large   *
A/UX Group                              |  When meetings are outlawed,
Apple Computer, Inc.                    |    Only outlaws will have meetings
10440 Bubb Rd,                          |
Cupertino, CA 95014                     |
*---------------------------------------*------------------------------------*
--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large   (justin@apple.com) *
Apple Computer, Inc.                    |  When meetings are outlawed,
10440 Bubb Rd,                          |    Only outlaws will have meetings
Cupertino, CA 95014                     *

krogh@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (08/02/90)

A third party monitor & board (micron) seems to work just fine with
AUX 2.0 on a SE/30.  To make the external monitor the monitor that
is used, just use the Control Panel to set up the external monitor
as monitor #1.