[comp.unix.aux] A/UX 2.0 and NFS

wj4@prism.gatech.EDU (JOYE,WILLIAM A) (08/03/90)

Just a note about some info I found out from AUX support. Seems A/UX 2.0
uses NFS version 2.0. SunOS 4.0.3 uses NFS 3.0. There have been several
reports of compatibility problems between the two from users. I have
seen problems with the DeskTop Manager of NFS mounted file systems on
a Sun/4 110. At this time, Apple does not have a work around.

P.S. I found the AUX support group to be very helpful and friendly.
     I hope that this level of support continues...

bill joye

--
JOYE,WILLIAM A
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!wj4

zimmer@cod.NOSC.MIL (Thomas L. Zimmerman) (08/07/90)

From article <12171@hydra.gatech.EDU>, by wj4@prism.gatech.EDU (JOYE,WILLIAM A):

> Just a note about some info I found out from AUX support. Seems A/UX 2.0
> uses NFS version 2.0. SunOS 4.0.3 uses NFS 3.0. There have been several

Bill,

Can you amplify on the reported incompatabilities?  I am running A/UX 2.0
on MacII with most of my file system mounted from a Sun running 4.0.3 and
have not had any problems (unless you count the network storm I caused by
setting the wrong broadcast address on the mac :-) ).

--
Lee Zimmerman, Naval Ocean Systems Center, Code 421, San Diego, CA, 92152
{arpa,mil}net: zimmer@nosc.mil

steveg@umd5.umd.edu (Steve Green) (08/07/90)

In article <2042@cod.NOSC.MIL> zimmer@cod.NOSC.MIL (Thomas L. Zimmerman) writes:
>From article <12171@hydra.gatech.EDU>, by wj4@prism.gatech.EDU (JOYE,WILLIAM A):
>>
>> Just a note about some info I found out from AUX support. Seems A/UX 2.0
>> uses NFS version 2.0. SunOS 4.0.3 uses NFS 3.0. There have been several
>
>Bill,
>
>Can you amplify on the reported incompatabilities?  I am running A/UX 2.0
>on MacII with most of my file system mounted from a Sun running 4.0.3 and
>have not had any problems (unless you count the network storm I caused by
>setting the wrong broadcast address on the mac :-) ).

On a related but unrelated subject... I had some problems with NFS.  The
symptom was that ld was creating bad file and known good source code
did not work.  After some time, this is the responce I got from Apple.

      You asked about the problem where the loader can write a block of
      zeroes to your output file when you are linking across NFS.
      Apparently, the problem is caused by race conditions between
      the multiple processes you get to do the file I/O.  We are currently
      looking at a fix for this.  A short term solution would be to run
      without biod daemons, which are the asynchronous block I/O daemons.
      Without these, you will get serial I/O, thus eliminating the race
      condition.

And sure enough, that took care of my problems.

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) (08/07/90)

In <12171@hydra.gatech.EDU> wj4@prism.gatech.EDU (JOYE,WILLIAM A) writes:

>Just a note about some info I found out from AUX support. Seems A/UX 2.0
>uses NFS version 2.0. SunOS 4.0.3 uses NFS 3.0. There have been several
>reports of compatibility problems between the two from users. I have
>seen problems with the DeskTop Manager of NFS mounted file systems on
>a Sun/4 110. At this time, Apple does not have a work around.

More details, please.

I don't know what you mean by "NFS 2.0" and "NFS 3.0". Both A/UX (all
releases) and SunOS 4 (4.0,4.1) use version 2 of the NFS protocol as reported
by rpcinfo. The include files under A/UX 2.0 have lines saying

/* NFSSRC @(#)vnode.h   2.1 86/04/11 */

On my SunOS 4.1 machine the corresponding comment is

/*      @(#)vnode.h 2.43 89/05/16 SMI   */

On my VAX machine, for which we bought the NFS 3.0 source licence, having
upgraded from the NFS 2.0 source, it says

/* NFSSRC @(#)vnode.h   2.1 86/04/11 */
/*      @(#)vnode.h 1.1 86/02/03 SMI    */

The VAX source matches the NFS implementation in SunOS 3.0, which lacked
facilities such as the kernel routine wakeup_one which appeared in SunOS 3.2
and is definitely present in A/UX 1.0 onwards.

Looking at the SCCS ident in the nfsd program (as another clue), we see

A/UX 2.0:	Copyright (c) 1983-87 Sun Microsystems Inc., All Rights Reserved.
		{Apple version 1.4 89/10/09 21:00:37}

SunOS 4.1:	nfsd.c 1.10 88/08/04 Copyr 1985 Sun Micro
VAX (NFS 3.0):	nfsd.c 1.1 86/02/03 Copyr 1985 Sun Micro

From all this evidence (plus trying to get an up-to-date NFS source licence)
I conclude that A/UX is using what I would refer to as NFS 3.2, and that
SunOS 4.1 is using what Sun now call ONC/NFS 4.0.

I would be interested to know what the "compatibility problems" are supposed
to be, especially since there is no mention of an such problems in the
Sun customer distributed buglist.
--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP