[comp.unix.aux] comp.sources.aux, apple.com

Since I've just started using A/UX, I'll be bringing over a lot of goodies
from my other systems.  Some of these will probably end up being A/UX-specific.
And I'm sure others have their share of interesting tools and goodies.

QUESTION: is there any central repository of PD and/or freely-redistributable
sources for such A/UX-specific contributions?

It seems to me that apple.com with its ftp and uucp connectivity would be a
good start; is anyone planning to provide an incoming upload area for such
submissions there?

And before anyone asks, I don't believe comp.binaries.mac is appropriate, nor
do I believe the expected volume warrants proposing comp.sources.aux (yet! :-)

Anyone have any other ideas or suggestions?

Thad

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

francis@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) (08/01/90)

<
<And before anyone asks, I don't believe comp.binaries.mac is appropriate, nor
<do I believe the expected volume warrants proposing comp.sources.aux (yet! :-)

Although appropriateness might still be an issue, the newsgroup
comp.sources.mac does exist, as far as I can tell, with roughly 0
traffic.  I have no idea whether or not it is moderated; if so, the
moderator is either non-existant, not real busy, or holding out on us.
--
R David Francis   francis@cis.ohio-state.edu

jsb@althea.UUCP (Me at another site) (08/02/90)

In article <32333@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
)Since I've just started using A/UX, I'll be bringing over a lot of goodies
)from my other systems.  Some of these will probably end up being A/UX-specific.
)And I'm sure others have their share of interesting tools and goodies.

Among my ports to A/UX was rn, but I'm not reading this from my A/UX site.
rn worked fine (modulo uucp problems, but that's another story) on 1.1 and
even 2.0 betas.  In fact it worked fine under 2.0 until I changed my spool
disk to a Berkeley file system.  Now rn traps out in getcwd whenever the
user's home directory has an i-number (its own or some ancestor in its path
toward root) that won't fit in a short.  I asked in this group if anyone else
had this problem but got no response--probably because all those people
cannot read news due to this bug.
here before whether anyone else has had this problem
--

		-jim (jsb@panix.UUCP)

coolidge@casca.cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (08/03/90)

thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>QUESTION: is there any central repository of PD and/or freely-redistributable
>sources for such A/UX-specific contributions?

I'm maintaining an A/UX archive on wuarchive.wustl.edu. Currently it
only contains the GNU ports that I and David Berry have done; I'm
planning to start carrying a copy of every package posted to or pointed
at by postings on comp.unix.aux Real Soon Now. There is an Incoming
directory for uploads and I encourage everyone to use it.

>It seems to me that apple.com with its ftp and uucp connectivity would be a
>good start; is anyone planning to provide an incoming upload area for such
>submissions there?

Apple does have a machine for A/UX support: aux.support.apple.com. It
looks like it's set up to do exactly what you want: uucp or ftp, archives
of comp.unix.aux, pd software, and Apple's fixes to A/UX. However, it
also looks like it's just getting set up. When it gets fully up and
running, I'll mirror its contents on wuarchive.

--John

John L. Coolidge     Internet:coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP:uiucdcs!coolidge
Of course I don't speak for the U of I (or anyone else except myself)
Copyright 1990 John L. Coolidge. Copying allowed if (and only if) attributed.
You may redistribute this article if and only if your recipients may as well.

rfortier@epochsys.UUCP (Richard W. Fortier) (08/07/90)

In article <coolidge.649629120@casca.cs.uiuc.edu> coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu writes:
>thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>>QUESTION: is there any central repository of PD and/or freely-redistributable
>>sources for such A/UX-specific contributions?
>
>>It seems to me that apple.com with its ftp and uucp connectivity would be a
>>good start; is anyone planning to provide an incoming upload area for such
>>submissions there?

We don't have direct access to the internet.  Therefore, I would be
very interested in obtaining contact/configuration information for any
site that offers anonymous UUCP access to A/UX archives.  Are there
any?  Does Apple itself offer this service?

Rich
--
---
Richard W. Fortier, Epoch Systems Inc. (508) 836-4711

coolidge@casca.cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (08/08/90)

rfortier@epochsys.UUCP (Richard W. Fortier) writes:
>We don't have direct access to the internet.  Therefore, I would be
>very interested in obtaining contact/configuration information for any
>site that offers anonymous UUCP access to A/UX archives.  Are there
>any?  Does Apple itself offer this service?

Yes, they do --- for the new site aux.support.apple.com. Information
on how to connect comes with the 2.0 accessory kit (which I don't
have handy right now).

Also, there are several ftp mail gateways out there which will mail
ftp-able files to non-internet sites. I believe uunet maintains one
for their subscribers.