[comp.unix.aux] porting Xwindows to the mac

ira@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Ira Lee) (08/08/90)

Hello. I would like to get X windows ported to AUX 2.0.  Is there
someone out there that has done it successfully? Is there anything
special about Apples X windows port that makes it worth buying?
ira

bye
Ira Lee
iradx7@pawl.rpi.edu			ira@iear.arts.rpi.edu
(518) 276-IRAS				(718) 279-4814

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) (08/09/90)

ira@iear.arts.rpi.edu (Ira Lee) writes:

>Hello. I would like to get X windows ported to AUX 2.0.  Is there
>someone out there that has done it successfully?

   Well, the current version of X Window (X11R4) contains support for A/UX
already.  It compiles just fine under A/UX 1.1, and I'm told that it does
under 2.0, though I haven't had a chance to try it yet.  (It's on my list
of things-to-do once I get enough disk space cleared up...).   In my
experience, getting X Window to run under A/UX 1.1 was simply a matter of
unpacking the MIT source and grabbing an up-to-date copy of GCC (you
*definitely* want to compile X with gcc--the speed difference in the
server is very noticable), editing a couple of things in the macII.cf file,
and typing the appropriate "make World" invokation (and waiting a few hours
:-)

>someone out there that has done it successfully? Is there anything
>special about Apples X windows port that makes it worth buying?

  I believe Apple's X Window package includes MacX, a version of X that runs
under MultiFinder (and hence can be used at the same time that you're
running MacOS programs).  Since I don't have the Apple X package, I can't
say for sure, though.
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd@servalan.uucp

shaff@elements.rpal.com (Mike Shaff) (08/09/90)

ciao,

Richard Todd wrote:

	In my experience, getting X Window to run under A/UX 1.1 was simply a
	matter of unpacking the MIT source and grabbing an up-to-date copy of
	GCC (you *definitely* want to compile X with gcc--the speed difference
	in the server is very noticable)

This brought to mind a question of the speed difference between the MIT
distribution and the Apple product.  Does anyone have information comparing
both Apple MacX and Apple X11r4 against the standard release.

Note to those not familiar with the Apple X product: X Windows as sold for A/UX
has two components one, named MacX, that implements X11r3 with Multifinder
compatibility.  The other simply refered to as X11r4 implements the standard X
that one might see on any UNIX machine.

--
	mas