[comp.unix.aux] X11 for A/UX

anderson@csli.Stanford.EDU (Steve Anderson) (09/07/90)

I recently received Apple's X package to go with A/UX 2.0. Some
questions:

(a) How can I get X11 to work when my login shell is other than sh or
csh (or ksh, I suppose)? I use /usr/local/bin/bash, which works fine
with A/UX. When I try to start an X11 session, it starts up the
server, and then crashes into console mode with a message
Xterm: Error 18 errno 22: bad argument
This happens at the point where it's trying to start the first xterm
(the one that serves as the console, not mentioned in .x11start). When
I change my shell to csh, everything starts up fine. Is there
someplace other than /etc/shells where a shell has to be registered
for X11 to be able to use it in the console window?

(b) How can I get X11 to recognize that I have a color monitor? It
seems to think I have a 1-bit screen, although everything I can think
of to set treats my Apple color monitor (with either the IIci builtin
video or a SuperMac ColorCard/24) as 8 bits. I thought the X11 server
was auto-configuring.

(c) I have a separate partition for /usr, precisely because I wanted
to add X (and GNU, and AKCL, and.....) software on top of the A/UX
distribution. When installing X, I couldn't see any graceful way to
get the X stuff installed on that partition: if I told it to install
on /, finstall complained that there wasn't enough room there (there
isn't...  but when it puts things in "usr/lib/X11" on / they'll go in
the larger partition), while if I told it to install on /usr, it put
everything into /usr/usr/lib.... etc. I did the latter, and then moved
everything to where it belonged, but there must be a more graceful
way.

Steve Anderson
Cognitive Science Center
The Johns Hopkins University

anderson@sapir.cog.jhu.edu

rmtodd@uokmax.uucp (Richard Michael Todd) (09/08/90)

anderson@csli.Stanford.EDU (Steve Anderson) writes:

Before I start, I should mention that I have the MIT X11R4 release, not
the "official" Apple X Release.

>(a) How can I get X11 to work when my login shell is other than sh or
>csh (or ksh, I suppose)? I use /usr/local/bin/bash, which works fine
>with A/UX. When I try to start an X11 session, it starts up the
>server, and then crashes into console mode with a message
>Xterm: Error 18 errno 22: bad argument
>This happens at the point where it's trying to start the first xterm
>(the one that serves as the console, not mentioned in .x11start). When
>I change my shell to csh, everything starts up fine. Is there
>someplace other than /etc/shells where a shell has to be registered
>for X11 to be able to use it in the console window?

Not that I know of. Hmm.  I'd suspect that what you have is a subtle
incompatibility with bash.  I use tcsh from within xterm, no problem.

>(b) How can I get X11 to recognize that I have a color monitor? It
>seems to think I have a 1-bit screen, although everything I can think
>of to set treats my Apple color monitor (with either the IIci builtin
>video or a SuperMac ColorCard/24) as 8 bits. I thought the X11 server
>was auto-configuring.

It does automatically recognize the cards, but it by default starts a
monochrome X session unless you specify otherwise on the command line.
Try putting the options '-screen 0 -depth 8' on the command line that
invokes XmacII, the X server.  (BTW, if you've got multiple display cards,
you can do "XmacII -screen 0 -depth 8 -screen 1 -depth 8" and have X using
both displays at once.  I doubt that you'll be able to use your 24-bit card
in 24-bit mode, though; the stock MIT X11R4 source doesn't support 24-bit
displays, and I doubt the Apple one does either, as there's a whole lot of
code in there that really really wants the display to be either 1 or 8 bits.)

--
Richard Todd   rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us  or  rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu
"MSDOS is a Neanderthal operating system" - Henry Spencer

qfhca81@memqa.uucp (Henry Melton) (09/10/90)

In article <15226@csli.Stanford.EDU>, anderson@csli.Stanford.EDU (Steve Anderson) writes:
> I recently received Apple's X package to go with A/UX 2.0. Some
> questions:

> (b) How can I get X11 to recognize that I have a color monitor? It
> seems to think I have a 1-bit screen, although everything I can think
> of to set treats my Apple color monitor (with either the IIci builtin
> video or a SuperMac ColorCard/24) as 8 bits. I thought the X11 server
> was auto-configuring.

I just got mine running friday, so this sounds familiar.  To set 8 bit color
create a file named .X11 in your folder (executable) with the line
X -screen 0 -depth 8
in it.  This is documented in "X11 User's Guide for A/UX/ page 5-25.

> (c) I have a separate partition for /usr, precisely because I wanted
> to add X (and GNU, and AKCL, and.....) software on top of the A/UX
> distribution. When installing X, I couldn't see any graceful way to
> get the X stuff installed on that partition: if I told it to install
> on /, finstall complained that there wasn't enough room there (there
> isn't...  but when it puts things in "usr/lib/X11" on / they'll go in
> the larger partition), while if I told it to install on /usr, it put
> everything into /usr/usr/lib.... etc. I did the latter, and then moved
> everything to where it belonged, but there must be a more graceful
> way.

I tried installing everything in a different partition /users/apps that
I had set aside for this kind of stuff, then make a bunch of soft links
to put all the X stuff in the proper locations.  A lot of manual work,
but it seems to do the job.
--
Henry Melton  qfhca81@memrqa.sps.mot.com
{slow}  qfhca81@memqa   ..!cs.utexas.edu!execu!sequoia!memqa!qfhca81