[comp.unix.aux] Where is /mac/bin/settc?

herbw@midas.WR.TEK.COM (Herb Weiner) (08/27/90)

Both the printed manuals (A/UX Command Reference Section 1) and the
online man pages indicate that there is a settc command in /mac/bin/settc.
However, it's not on my system.  I also tried mounting the A/UX 2.0
Installation CD-ROM (from which I installed my software) and searched
through the entire CD-ROM, and it is nowhere to be found there either.
Was this file distributed with the floppy or tape based systems?

Can someone from Apple (or anywhere else) send me this file?  (I don't
(yet) have annonymous FTP or dial out capability.)

Thanks.

Herb Weiner
herbw@midas.WR.TEK.COM
AppleLink: D0521

mgchow@Apple.COM (Mike Chow) (08/27/90)

In article <3369@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM> herbw@midas.WR.TEK.COM (Herb Weiner) writes:
>Both the printed manuals (A/UX Command Reference Section 1) and the
>online man pages indicate that there is a settc command in /mac/bin/settc.
>Was this file distributed with the floppy or tape based systems?
>
>Can someone from Apple (or anywhere else) send me this file?  (I don't
>(yet) have annonymous FTP or dial out capability.)

Oops.  Mistake in the documentation.  For 2.0, there is no /mac/bin/settc.
Instead, use /mac/bin/setfile, which is a superset of settc.  Usage for
setfile is the same as MPW, which is as follows:

SetFile [optionI] fileI
    -a attributes           # attributes (lowercase = 0, uppercase = 1)
    -c creator              # file creator
    -d date                 # creation date (mm/dd/yy [hh:mm[:ss] [AM | PM]])
    -l h,v                  # ICON location (horizontal,vertical)
    -m date                 # modification date (mm/dd/yy [hh:mm[:ss] [AM | PM]])
    -t type                 # file type

    Note: Period (.) represents the current date and time.
    Note: The following attributes may be used with the -a option:
        L   Locked
        V   Invisible
        B   Bundle
        S   System
        I   Inited
        D   Desktop
        M   Shared (can run multiple times)
        A   Always switch launch (if possible)

>Thanks.
>
>Herb Weiner
>herbw@midas.WR.TEK.COM
>AppleLink: D0521

Mike Chow
mgchow@apple.com

lantz@Apple.COM (Bob Lantz) (08/28/90)

Herb,

you wrote:

>Both the printed manuals (A/UX Command Reference Section 1) and the
>online man pages indicate that there is a settc command in /mac/bin/settc.
>However, it's not on my system.

Settc has been replaced by the more useful setfile command, which un-
fortunately doesn't appear to have a manual page entry. It does, however,
have a Commando dialog, and it is documented (oddly enough) in the MPW
documentation, if I'm not mistaken. To emulate settc, use

setfile -t TYPE -c CRTR file

I hope this helps you out,

>Herb Weiner

Bob Lantz
A/UX Team

davide@cs.qmw.ac.uk (David Edmondson) (09/10/90)

In <44302@apple.Apple.COM> lantz@Apple.COM (Bob Lantz) writes:
>setfile -t TYPE -c CRTR file

How about a gettc, this could be very handy in shell scripts
which deal with Mac files.

Dave
--
David Edmondson                 ARPA: davide@cs.qmw.ac.uk