[comp.unix.aux] Apple 160mb drive question

qfhca81@memqa.uucp (Henry Melton) (09/05/90)

I am in the middle of installing AUX from floppies onto a FX with a 160 mb
apple drive.  I used the standard AUX partitioning and loaded the floppies.
It came up, but a big chunk of my disk has vanished.  From the books,
it seems as if there ought to be a large slice 3 partition that I could mount,
but it is hiding from me.  I looked in /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk and there is
no c0d0s3 to be found.  I even did a wc on all the c0* devices and confirmed
the sizes of the slice 0 root , the slice 1 swap and the slice 30 MacPartition
and the slice 31 whold disk.

I then re-inited the disk, repartitioned and reloaded all those floppies
in the hopes that I missed something.  No luck.

Where is it?

--
Henry Melton  qfhca81@memrqa.sps.mot.com
{slow}  qfhca81@memqa   ..!cs.utexas.edu!execu!sequoia!memqa!qfhca81

herbw@midas.WR.TEK.COM (Herb Weiner) (09/07/90)

In article <6046@memqa.uucp>, qfhca81@memqa.uucp (Henry Melton) asks:

> From the books, it seems as if there ought to be a large slice 3
> partition that I could mount, but it is hiding from me.  I looked in
> /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk and there is no c0d0s3 to be found.

You need to use mknod to add these.  I don't have my manuals handy
(and I'm not running A/UX at the moment), so please double check this
before placing complete faith in my memory.  But try this:

  mknod /dev/dsk/c0d0s3 b 29 3
  chmod go-r /dev/dsk/c0d0s3
  chown bin /dev/dsk/c0d0s3
  chgrp bin /dev/dsk/c0d0s3
  mknod /dev/rdsk/c0d0s3 c 29 3
  chmod go-r /dev/rdsk/c0d0s3
  chown bin /dev/rdsk/c0d0s3
  chgrp bin /dev/rdsk/c0d0s3

Then proceed as directed in the Peripherals manual (newfs, mount, etc).

Can anybody from Apple explain WHY these devices are not present?  I had
the same problem when I installed from CD-ROM to an external disk at
SCSI 5 (except that /dev/dsk/c5d0s3 was missing and /dev/dsk/c0d0s3
was present).

Herb Weiner (herbw@midas.WR.TEK.COM)

vlb@magic.apple.com (Vicki Brown) (09/07/90)

In article <3453@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM> herbw@midas.WR.TEK.COM (Herb Weiner) writes:
>In article <6046@memqa.uucp>, qfhca81@memqa.uucp (Henry Melton) asks:
>
>> From the books, it seems as if there ought to be a large slice 3
>> partition that I could mount, but it is hiding from me.  I looked in
>> /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk and there is no c0d0s3 to be found.
>
>Can anybody from Apple explain WHY these devices are not present?  I had
>the same problem when I installed from CD-ROM to an external disk at
>SCSI 5 (except that /dev/dsk/c5d0s3 was missing and /dev/dsk/c0d0s3
>was present).

It's a bug (in the pname program, to be precise).  In short, when the
autorecovery partitions are filled, the installation uses pname to attach
the partitions temporarily; pname uses slice 3.  It is then too dumb to
realize these slices BELONG on the disk, and deletes the device nodes when
it's through.  Thus, only the slice 3 devices for Your particular SCSI
number disappear.

We know/we've caught this/the next A/UX release Installation won't do it.

   Vicki Brown   A/UX Development Group		Apple Computer, Inc.
   Internet: vlb@apple.com			MS 58A, 10440 Bubb Rd.
   UUCP: {sun,amdahl,decwrl}!apple!vlb		Cupertino, CA  95014 USA
              Ooit'n Normaal Mens Ontmoet?  En..., Beviel't?
          (Did you ever meet a normal person?  Did you enjoy it?)

pke@public.BTR.COM (Peter Espen pke@btr.com) (09/07/90)

I believe that what you can first do is use the pname program
to generate and get the correct /dev/dsk driver for a particular
disk partition.  You'll first need to get the name of the
partition you're trying to set-up from Apple HD set-up. You can
then do a    pname -c5 "partition name"     and pname will
return the driver that it has assigned to that partition. You
can then use that driver to set-up your filesystem etc.

Peter Espen
pke@btr.com

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) (09/10/90)

In <3453@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM> herbw@midas.WR.TEK.COM (Herb Weiner) writes:

>In article <6046@memqa.uucp>, qfhca81@memqa.uucp (Henry Melton) asks:

>> From the books, it seems as if there ought to be a large slice 3
>> partition that I could mount, but it is hiding from me.  I looked in
>> /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk and there is no c0d0s3 to be found.

>You need to use mknod to add these.  I don't have my manuals handy

Pname will do the job for you. That partition exists so that people with
larger 80 meg disks can take advantage of the extra space. You will need to
use dp to extend the partition size a lot if you want to use it for the
whole of the rest of your 160 Meg disk.

Larger 80 Meg disks? Apple decided on a minimum acceptable size of an
"80 Megabyte disk" and will use any disk that provides at least that much
space, buying from different suppliers at different times. The older HD80SC
external disks don't have as many physical sectors as the newer Quantum
internal 80 meg drives, for example.
--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP

vlb@magic.apple.com (Vicki Brown) (09/11/90)

In article <2770@sequent.cs.qmw.ac.uk> liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) writes:
>In <3453@wrgate.WR.TEK.COM> herbw@midas.WR.TEK.COM (Herb Weiner) writes:
>
>>In article <6046@memqa.uucp>, qfhca81@memqa.uucp (Henry Melton) asks:
>
>>> From the books, it seems as if there ought to be a large slice 3
>>> partition that I could mount, but it is hiding from me.  I looked in
>>> /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk and there is no c0d0s3 to be found.
>
>>You need to use mknod to add these.  I don't have my manuals handy
>
>Pname will do the job for you. That partition exists so that people with
>larger 80 meg disks can take advantage of the extra space. You will need to
>use dp to extend the partition size a lot if you want to use it for the
>whole of the rest of your 160 Meg disk.
>
>Larger 80 Meg disks? Apple decided on a minimum acceptable size of an
>"80 Megabyte disk" and will use any disk that provides at least that much
>space, buying from different suppliers at different times. The older HD80SC
>external disks don't have as many physical sectors as the newer Quantum
>internal 80 meg drives, for example.

Pname is the reason the device node is missing in the first place :-)

If you use HDSC Setup (or if SilverLining does its job right), the slice 3
partition will be the right size to accomodate the rest of your disk when
you set things up.  There is no need to use dp to extend it.  That is, there
will be a partition (slightly > 80MB) on a 160MB disk, all ready to use.

If you have an (older) HD80, you'll see a 1K slice 3 partition.
The reason for this is because we couldn't say "grow from 0 to n".