[comp.unix.aux] Upgrading to A/UX 2.0

jmm@skivs.UUCP (Joel M. Miller) (09/12/90)

Here's a pretty basic question: How do I install an A/UX floppy set on an
Apple 80 MB disk that currently contains A/UX 1.1?  I would normally follow
installation instructions, but none were included with my "floppy disk product"
(did I need to purchase an "installation instructions product"??).  I tried
running the "A/UX Install" program on the first floppy, but it seems to
go immediately to start up (rather than install) A/UX.  People I can reach
at Apple recognize the name A/UX, but know nothing about it.

I am knowledgable about Unix at the System Manager level, and so really just
need help in getting off the ground.  Has anyone out there done this
1.1 to 2.0 upgrade?
--
Joel M Miller                    Internet: jmm@skivs.ski.org
Smith-Kettlewell Institute       Usenet:   {fernwood,uunet}!skivs!jmm

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) (09/12/90)

jmm@skivs.UUCP (Joel M. Miller) writes:

>Here's a pretty basic question: How do I install an A/UX floppy set on an
>Apple 80 MB disk that currently contains A/UX 1.1?  I would normally follow
>installation instructions, but none were included with my "floppy disk product"
>(did I need to purchase an "installation instructions product"??).  I tried
>running the "A/UX Install" program on the first floppy, but it seems to
>go immediately to start up (rather than install) A/UX.  People I can reach
>at Apple recognize the name A/UX, but know nothing about it.

No, you don't need to purchase the "installation instructions product".  When
you ordered the floppy disk update to A/UX 2.0, you should have gotten two
big boxes.  One, labeled "A/UX Floppy Disk Product", should be full of
the 36 or so floppies that have the A/UX programs on them.  The other big
box, the "A/UX Accessory Kit", contains some more floppies (a complete
set of MacOS System 6.0.5 disks, plus 4 others needed for the A/UX install&
upgrade), plus three nice books, one of which tells you how to install A/UX.
You should have gotten the A/UX Accessory Kit at the same time you got
the box of floppies.  Complain to your dealer.  I gather you've been doing
that, but now you know what exactly to complain about.

>I am knowledgable about Unix at the System Manager level, and so really just
>need help in getting off the ground.  Has anyone out there done this
>1.1 to 2.0 upgrade?
  Yeah, I have.  It's not too difficult, but you really need the instructions
and disks that are in the Accessory Kit.  It's a big instruction book, so
it'd be difficult to explain the details of how to install it over the net,
and those disks in the A/UX accessory kit are rather vital to the process...
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd@servalan.uucp