[comp.unix.aux] A/UX on SE/30?

rapp@balr.com (Chuck Rapp) (09/11/90)

I recently read a brouchere from Apple which stated that A/UX
was available on the SE/30.  When the SE/30 came out in 1989,
Apple said it was not supporting A/UX on the SE/30.  Has this
changed?

If A/UX is available, what happens to the software I have purchased
for my SE/30?  Even if A/UX isn't available on the SE/30 and I trade
in for a IIci, will I be able to use my existing software?  My software
includes MacWrite II, MacDraw, drives for my DeskWriter, various inits
and CDEVs (After Dark, Virex, Language Master, etc.)

The reason I am interested in upgrading to A/UX is because I am
running Macintosh Allegro Common Lisp (MACL).  I have
artificial intelligence software running in MACL and this AI software
is gobbling up all 8MB I start MACL up with.  I know Franz, Inc.
sells Allegro Common Lisp for A/UX, v1.x. Anyone with experience
with ACL for A/UX know how much memory I can run ACL with?  I have 8MB
real memory on my SE/30.  I would like to run
Franz ACL under at least 16MB (perhaps up to 24MB).  Does anyone
know if Franz ACL runs under A/UX 2.0 (it is currently supported for
A/UX 1.x only).

By-the-bye, I have asked my Apple distributor and Franz, Inc. sales staff
the above questions and did not get any clear answers.  So I turn to
those who have some experience with A/UX.
--
+---------------+-------------------+-------------------------------+
| Chuck Rapp    |  rapp@balr.com    | Also: rapp@tellabs.com        |

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (09/12/90)

rapp@balr.com (Chuck Rapp) writes:

>I recently read a brouchere from Apple which stated that A/UX
>was available on the SE/30.  When the SE/30 came out in 1989,
>Apple said it was not supporting A/UX on the SE/30.  Has this
>changed?

The SE/30 was supported starting with A/UX version 1.1.1.  I've run that
version quite successfully.  I'm currently running A/UX 2.0, using an
Asante ethernet card for network access.  I'm quite happy with the
combination.

>If A/UX is available, what happens to the software I have purchased
>for my SE/30?

It catches fire and destroys the world as we know it :-)

>Even if A/UX isn't available on the SE/30 and I trade
>in for a IIci, will I be able to use my existing software?

>My software includes MacWrite II, MacDraw, drives for my DeskWriter,
>various inits and CDEVs (After Dark, Virex, Language Master, etc.)

Yes, of course.  I use MacWrite II and MacDraw.  After Dark works.  I
don't know about Virex or Language Master; I don't have them.

--Brian Bechtel		blob@apple.com		"My opinion, not Apple's"