[comp.unix.aux] HP DeskWriter

MARCELO@pucc.princeton.edu (MARCELO) (08/17/90)

Ok here's my last hope of getting an original HP DeskWriter (no AppleTalk)
to work with AUX 2.0 It seems that no matter what I do I can't select the
printer port from the chooser to use with the HP (or IM II).

 I've tried the appletalk -d option .. I've tried running autoconfig with
the noappletalk option. Nothing seems to help. When I select the printer
port in the chooser I'm asked if I want to disable AppleTalk (I thought I
did this). I click say OK and then when the chooser emerges from the
warning message I'm still connected through the modem port. Selecting the
priter port just brings back the warning.

Any help or advice from anyone out there?

     .. Marcelo ..

marcelo@pucc.princeton.edu
marcelo@idunno.princeton.edu
marcelo@phoenix.princeton.edu

.. I didn't do it ..
.. It wasn't me ..
.. Nobody saw me do it ..
.. Nobody can prove a thing ..

rmtodd@uokmax.uucp (Richard Michael Todd) (08/18/90)

MARCELO@pucc.princeton.edu (MARCELO) writes:
>Ok here's my last hope of getting an original HP DeskWriter (no AppleTalk)
>to work with AUX 2.0 It seems that no matter what I do I can't select the
>printer port from the chooser to use with the HP (or IM II).

Yeah, I've had the same problem with my new ImageWriter II under A/UX.
What I did was just move the printer to the "modem" port and connect my
modem to the printer port.  Crude hack, but it works.

Other helpful advice on using printers (specifically an ImageWriter II) with
A/UX: When you print something from the Mac environment, it apparently opens
the port the printer's on (in my case, /dev/modem) with O_EXCL, and never
closes it.  This means that if you print something from the Mac environment,
the lpd system will *not* be able to access that printer until you "Logout"
of the Mac environment and restart it again.  This is definitely very
bogus...

Other advice, for those of you using ImageWriters and the like to print, say,
TeX DVI files: The lpr documentation says that lpr will not accept binary
files (such as those produced by Nelson Beebe's DVIMAC driver, full of
graphics output for the ImageWriter).  This appears to be a lie; lpr accepts
them just fine.  However, the default printcap entry supplied for the Image-
Writer is apparently slightly erroneous; it causes 8-bit output to be munged.
Make sure the "os:..." field is "oc:..." instead--those bits need to be
cleared, not set.  This is probably true for the DeskWriter as well.
--
Richard Todd   rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us  or  rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu

einhorn@hydra.unm.edu (E Drew Einhorn ADV.SCI.Inc) (08/20/90)

According the minimal documentation Apple ships with with AUX 2.0 a
printer connected with a serial cable instead of Appletalk is supported
only by the unix print spooler(s).  Seems to be mostly the AT&T System
V stuff with enough of the BSD stuff left hanging around to keep things
confusing.  Haven't figured out if /etc/printcap really does anything
under AUX or is just a decoy.

Need to use the incantations you've already figured out to get the
Appletalk turned off before you can do anything but Appletalk on the
printer port.  Then look in in /usr/spool/lp for some undocumented
shell scripts with names name begin w/ ADD_  I used ADD_IW and got it
to talk with an ImageWriter II.

Anybody know what's wrong here and why Apple couldn't get the chooser
to work correctly.  While this is probably the spot where I need to try
to add some capabilities the most it's probably a minefield for a
experienced AUX programmer and not the best place to try one's first
AUX hack.

What I'd really like to try to do is a Ghostscript port and hang a cheap
HP clone out there and make the system think its got a LaserWriter.  Unless
somebody has gotten Ultrascript from QMS or one of the other garden variety
Postscript interpreter MacOS applications to work under AUX.  At least that's
what the adversting copy leads me to think Ultrascript is.
--
 einhorn@hydra.unm.edu

einhorn@hydra.unm.edu (E Drew Einhorn ADV.SCI.Inc) (09/14/90)

Has anyone gotten an HP DeskWriter to work under A/UX 2.0?

Perhaps via ghostscript, ATM (Adobe Type Manager), UltraScript (QMS) or
one of the other Postscript interpreter packages?

Thanks,
--
 einhorn@hydra.unm.edu