[comp.unix.aux] Spectrum-8/II Incompatibility?

jmm@skivs.UUCP (Joel M. Miller) (09/13/90)

When I try to bring up A/UX 2.0 on my IIx with a SuperMac Spectrum 8 Series II
video board, it gets to the "Welcome to A/UX; Launching..." stage and
freezes up.  I pull the 8/II and drop in an old Apple video board, and
A/UX comes up fine.  So, I guess it's the SuperMac board (which, incidentally,
works fine with MacOS).

Has anyone had such problems with alien video, know how such an
incompatibility could arise, or what I can do about it?  Must I abandon
my fancy 19" video system?
--
Joel M Miller                    Internet: jmm@skivs.ski.org
Smith-Kettlewell Institute       Usenet:   {fernwood,uunet}!skivs!jmm

cappella@Apple.COM (Mike Cappella) (09/15/90)

In article <3132@skivs.UUCP> jmm@ski.UUCP (Joel M. Miller) writes:
>When I try to bring up A/UX 2.0 on my IIx with a SuperMac Spectrum 8 Series II
>video board, it gets to the "Welcome to A/UX; Launching..." stage and
>freezes up.  I pull the 8/II and drop in an old Apple video board, and
>A/UX comes up fine.  So, I guess it's the SuperMac board (which, incidentally,
>works fine with MacOS).
>
>Has anyone had such problems with alien video, know how such an
>incompatibility could arise, or what I can do about it?  Must I abandon
>my fancy 19" video system?
>--
>Joel M Miller                    Internet: jmm@skivs.ski.org
>Smith-Kettlewell Institute       Usenet:   {fernwood,uunet}!skivs!jmm
>2232 Webster St                  Bitnet:   jmm%skivs.ski.org@fernwood.mpk.ca.us
>San Francisco, CA 94115          Voice:    415/561-1703     Fax: 415/561-1610

There were some problems with the certain SuperMac video cards; unfortunately
yours was one of them.  Fortunately, you should be able to get a ROM upgrade
from SuperMac, which will allow A/UX 2.0 to work just fine.  Contact their
support hotline for more details.  If you continue to have problems, please
Email me and I will see what I can do for you.

-Mike
--
----
Mike Cappella			Internet: cappella@apple.com