[comp.unix.aux] Can't get X11R4 to run

blitz@nodename.dec.com (Marty Blitz) (09/18/90)

I've installed A/UX 2.0 and X11R4 on my SE/30.  I have configured it with

# newconfig bnet

and rebooted.  When I go into the console window and type X11R4, it hangs
for a few seconds, and clears the screen.  This is what I get when I type
out the debug.log:

# X11R4
# cat debug.log
Getting interface configuration: Can't assign requested address

Fatal server bug!
ioctl I_STR VIDEO_MAP_SLOT failed
xinit:  Interrupted system call (errno 4):  unexpected signal 2
#

Note that this time I ctrl-c'ed out, usually the errnio is 81.

Anyway, does anywon have any ideas.  My system is standalong.  i.e., no
ethernet, no devices on appletalk.

marty

marg@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu (Margarita Suarez) (09/19/90)

In article <1917@mountn.dec.com> blitz@nodename.dec.com (Marty Blitz) writes:

>I've installed A/UX 2.0 and X11R4 on my SE/30.  I have configured it with
>
># newconfig bnet
>
>and rebooted.  When I go into the console window and type X11R4, it hangs
>for a few seconds, and clears the screen.
>Fatal server bug!
>ioctl I_STR VIDEO_MAP_SLOT failed
>xinit:  Interrupted system call (errno 4):  unexpected signal 2
>marty

i had the same problem.  i think it works if you login onto the A/UX
console emulator.  of course, the MacOS will be inaccessible.

i also had problems running xdm because, xdm and Login will over the
console.  before trying to run xdm you must kill the Login process.  or
else, if you have another terminal, you can fix it by turning Login off.

edit the /etc/inittab file, and find the line that says

00::respawn:/mac/bin/Login...

or something like that.  change the "respawn" to "off" and reboot.  a/ux
will come up, but you will not get a login screen.  at this point, you
can log in from another terminal and start xdm.

Semi-related topic:

i have two monitors on my MacIIx, and i'm dismayed that A/UX 2.0 can't
access both of them.  MacOS can access both of them, and X11 can access
both of them, but A/UX can't.  what a waste of screen space!  we tried
bringing X11 up on screen :0.1 and A/UX on screen :0.0 and succeeded.
however, since A/UX refuses to acknowledge screen :0.1, there was no way
to move the mouse into the xdm login box!  darn.

marg

 VOICE:  w:212-854-5434 h:212-932-3023 | The important thing about a battleship
INTERNET:  marg@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu | is that it shoots.  It floats, and it
 BITNET:            marg@cunixf.bitnet | is a ship, but the important thing
  UUCP:  !rutgers!columbia!cunixf!marg | about a battle ship is that it shoots.

blitz@memory.enet.dec.com (Martin Blitz) (09/20/90)

Well, it did turn out to be the missing gcc-include stuff.  I ran
fixincludes last night, and rebuilt
X11R4, and this morning it worked.

Thanks to all for your assistance.  This conference is a real help.

marty