[comp.unix.aux] What does the X in cNd0sX stand for?

grant@cft.philips.nl (Joe Grant) (09/21/90)

I have a question about the meaning of the X in cNd0sX used for the
disk device in /dev/dsk. I'm currently trying to setup a file system
on a SyQuest removable cartridge which I initialized using MicroNet
Utility 4.4 and partitioned with a single partition (partition 0).
When I read the manual it talks of using the /dev/dsk/cNd0sX device
address where N is the SCSI ID of the drive and X is the slice. What
do they mean by slice? Does it correspond to a partition, i.e in this
case cNd0s0, or is it something else entirely? In one part of the manual
it does say that slice 3,4,5 and 6 can be used for /user or /users
while slice 2 is for /usr, what do they mean by this, what are slices
0 and 1 reserved for, and what happens after slice 7?

Any help would be appreciated.

Joe Grant
--
Joe Grant,                       Telex     : 35000 phtc nl/nlmtfarr
Philips B.V., Building HKJ-p833, Telefax   : (31.40.7)37222

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) (09/22/90)

grant@cft.philips.nl (Joe Grant) writes:
>When I read the manual it talks of using the /dev/dsk/cNd0sX device
>address where N is the SCSI ID of the drive and X is the slice. What
>do they mean by slice? Does it correspond to a partition, i.e in this
>case cNd0s0, or is it something else entirely? In one part of the manual
Yeah, it corresponds to a partition, but partition numbers don't necessarily
correspond to slice numbers.  You can either dynamically assign a named
partition to a slice by the pname command or (in A/UX 2.0) set a "default"
slice number for a partition in dp, so that every time you boot /dev/dsk/
cNd0sX gets automatically assigned to partition "foo".

>it does say that slice 3,4,5 and 6 can be used for /user or /users
>while slice 2 is for /usr, what do they mean by this, what are slices
>0 and 1 reserved for, and what happens after slice 7?

0 and 1 are in the default A/UX partitioning scheme given to the root file
system and the initial swap partition; if you installed with /usr as a
separate filesystem, it gets slice 2.  On a drive that's not your A/UX
root drive (i.e. your SyQuest), that you're not going to try to boot from,
it's perfectly ok to use slice numbers 0,1,2; in fact, my external HD
currently has slice 0 as a big partition mounted on /u, slice 1 as a
second swap partition, and 2 as /tmp.  As for slice #s >= 7, I doubt there'd
be a problem, except that you'd have to mknod the appropriate block special
files yourself (the ones supplied are only for slices 0-6, 30, and 31).
Slice 30 seems to be reserved for the MacOS partition and slice 31 corresponds
to the whole disk.
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd@servalan.uucp