[comp.unix.aux] Hint about A/UX Startup

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) (09/14/90)

I have found it rather annoying that A/UX Startup's version of ed couldn't
edit large files (or even fairly small ones like inittab). But today, I
finally guessed what was going wrong. This leads to my hint:

When doing experiments with small to minimal A/UX configurations, increase
the MultiFinder application memory size from 512k to 1024k. This will allow
you to edit configuration files and scripts from A/UX Startup even if your
configuration doesn't quite work yet...

Another related hint:

If you are having (or may be having) autoconfiguration problems, add the
-v flag to the autoconfig instruction in /etc/sysinitrc. In fact, since
the startmsg thing covers up all the technobabble, you might as well always
use verbose autoconfiguration.

--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP

chuq@Apple.COM (The Wandering Phew) (09/14/90)

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) writes:

>In fact, since
>the startmsg thing covers up all the technobabble, you might as well always
>use verbose autoconfiguration.

Which you can fix by changing the autolaunch string in AUX Startup to
"launch -v -s" -- I personally like seeing what my machine is doing to, um,
for me.

--
Chuq Von Rospach   <+>   chuq@apple.com   <+>   [This is myself speaking]

Due to popular request, I've removed the "Small World" theme from my
signature. Too many net.reader's co-workers were complaining about the
whistling. My apologies for any inconvenience. (It's a small, small world!)

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (09/15/90)

<
< >In fact, since
< >the startmsg thing covers up all the technobabble, you might as well always
< >use verbose autoconfiguration.
<
< Which you can fix by changing the autolaunch string in AUX Startup to
< "launch -v -s" -- I personally like seeing what my machine is doing to, um,
< for me.
<
It might also help when the machine freezes while displaying the "Loading"
message (I had that last week -- "launch" froze, "launch -v" worked
perfectly. Strange), or if your MacOS stuff is configured to come up in
something other than 1-bit video and random bits start appearing on the
screen, indicating a kernel panic whose message was printed in 1-bit mode.

NB: Memory (mine) states that the kernel debugger only works with a 9600 baud
terminal on the modem port. Assuming that I don't have one of these, and that
this information is correct, is there any reason I should include the kernel
debugger, and/or load the kernel symbol table (that's what the "-s" option to
launch does)?

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de     /o)\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330)   \(o/

justin@Apple.COM (Justin Walker) (09/24/90)

In article <%[dgf2.#m9@smurf.sub.org> urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>In comp.unix.aux, article <44797@apple.Apple.COM>,
>  chuq@Apple.COM (The Wandering Phew) writes:
>< liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) writes:
>NB: Memory (mine) states that the kernel debugger only works with a 9600 baud
>terminal on the modem port. Assuming that I don't have one of these, and that
>this information is correct, is there any reason I should include the kernel
>debugger, and/or load the kernel symbol table (that's what the "-s" option to
>launch does)?
	Your memory states well (:-}); there is no need to load the symbol
	table or configure the kernel debugger unless you really want them
	(or have a desire to chew up memory ...)

>--
>Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de     /o)\
>Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330)   \(o/

Regards,

Justin
--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large   (justin@apple.com) *