[comp.unix.aux] 2.0 installation, again

andrea@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Boyd Hays) (09/22/90)

Hello,
	I'm trying to install A/UX 2.0 on a Quantum 170 MB and am receiving
the following message during the installation process (the screen reads):

Installing basic root files.
Please wait, installation in progress
Disk write c0d0s0 Error: SCSI timeout
Logical block 98608, physical blocks 281728-281735

Obviously, the installation stops at this point.

The drive was just purchased from LaCie and was formatted, by them, with
Silverlining.  I've tried the installation four times each time with a
similar message, only the addresses change as I've tried different
configurations.  I'm using the maximum Mac partition option of Silverlining
and have not modified any of its settings.  I ran the test & map out bad
sectors and the disk passes this test (I'd hope so LaCie says that they test
their drives prior to shipment).

A potential problem area is where the installation asks what type of hard disk
I'm using (page 4-9 of the installation instructions).  None of the drives
seem to apply and I've been selecting #5, generic.

I called LaCie and they told me that A/UX 2.0 installs are cookbook and they've
never seen this problem referring me to Apple.  When I spoke with the Apple
technical support person I was informed that I would need to buy an A/UX
support license to get an answer to my question or call a dealer and ask for
help.

The system's configuration is an original Mac II with PMU (A/UX 1.1 runs) with
8MB of memory.

Does anyone know what is wrong?

Boyd Hays

damour@sol.ral.rpi.edu (Kevin Damour) (09/24/90)

   From: andrea@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Boyd Hays)
   Newsgroups: comp.unix.aux
   Date: 22 Sep 90 03:50:15 GMT
   Sender: news@boulder.Colorado.EDU

[...]

- - - - - - - - - -
   I have the same configuration as above with a 110 MB drive from
LaCie (purchased over 1 year ago).  Installation on the 170 MB drive
produced the same SCSI timeout error messages followed by a series on
faults on writes to the drive.  I tried the installation on the 110 MB
drive, which was also formatted with SilverLining, and no errors were
produced.I called LaCie last week and will be returning the drive to
them this week for replacement.  Can there be a design error on the
170 MB drive to cause these errors (which are not on the 110 MB) ?

    Kevin Damour
    damour@ral.rpi.edu

frontah@pawl22.pawl.rpi.edu (David J Sotnick) (09/24/90)

In article <4'K%GD@rpi.edu> damour@sol.ral.rpi.edu (Kevin Damour) writes:

>>     I have the same configuration as above with a 110 MB drive from
>>   LaCie (purchased over 1 year ago).  Installation on the 170 MB drive
>>   produced the same SCSI timeout error messages followed by a series on
>>   faults on writes to the drive.  I tried the installation on the 110 MB
>>   drive, which was also formatted with SilverLining, and no errors were
>>   produced.I called LaCie last week and will be returning the drive to
>>   them this week for replacement.  Can there be a design error on the
>>   170 MB drive to cause these errors (which are not on the 110 MB) ?
>>
>>       Kevin Damour
>>       damour@ral.rpi.edu

I write:

I have a different configuration, which is:

	Mac IIcx, w/ 5 Mb RAM, 40M Quantum Internal, etc.

I had exactly the same symptoms as the above two people and am asking for
a response from Apple to this problem. I used Silverlining 5.25/11 to init-
ialise a 300 Meg SCSI Drive. I set the partitions for 100 M of Macintosh,
210 Meg total of A/UX. I am not sure whether this is a problem in the
driver that Silverlining uses or whether A/UX is accessing SCSI devices in
a strange way.

ANY responses would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

David Sotnick