[comp.unix.aux] Advice needed for getting started with A/UX 2.0

anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Jason W. Anthony) (09/25/90)

I posted this a while ago and no one responded... you don't have to
answer all three questions!  :-)

I'm planning to get a copy of A/UX 2.0, and I was wondering if anyone
could answer a few questions:

        1. How much is A/UX 2.0?  (I would be getting the CD)

        2. I have an external 100 MB hard drive I would be using with it.
Will this be enough space to work comfortably with A/UX?  And do I need
special formatting software?

        3. I have a Mac IIcx with 8 MB.  Is there anything that's optional
but makes like much better with A/UX?  (Like a large screen monitor or
anything?)

Thanks very much for your help.

Jason W. Anthony         anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu      ////  /|
Computer Engineering                                       /   / |
Clarkson University, Potsdam N.Y.                       / /   /--|
____________________________________________________   ///.  /   |.

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (09/25/90)

anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu (Jason W. Anthony) writes:
>        1. How much is A/UX 2.0?  (I would be getting the CD)

Well, you could go to a dealer and ask...

B0270LL/A  A/UX CD-ROM Product	$795.00
(in USA)

>        2. I have an external 100 MB hard drive I would be using with it.
>Will this be enough space to work comfortably with A/UX?  And do I need
>special formatting software?

It depends upon what you mean by "work comfortably."  Like most of these
statements, it depends upon what you're doing.  80Mb is cramped for
program development.  If you add X11R4, you need about 100 Mb to feel
good.  Many people use more space than that; some use less.

>        3. I have a Mac IIcx with 8 MB.  Is there anything that's optional
>but makes like much better with A/UX?  (Like a large screen monitor or
>anything?)

A large screen monitor makes *anything* better. :-)

--Brian Bechtel		blob@apple.com		"My opinion, not Apple's"