[comp.unix.aux] Ethernet card/driver for Mac IIfx & AUX 2.0

pcaloca@synoptics.COM (Paul Caloca) (09/14/90)

Does anyone know of a driver for a Kinetics EtherPort II that AUX will
work with? Are there any other ethernet cards and drivers that AUX
can recognize? The friendly Apple Technical AnswerLine folks say only
the Apple Ethernet card will operate with AUX 2.0 and they are expensive
and in short supply.

I've just installed AUX 2.0 on my Mac IIfx and it crashes when AUX is
started. Apple suggested I remove the EtherPort card and restart and
all works fine, but I now have no access to my NFS network and TCP/IP.
Can someone let me know where I can ftp a driver for the card or
recommend an alternate ethernet card/driver combo that works?

Thanks in advance for your assistance. Email responses would be
greatly appreciated.
Paul Caloca			| "Minds are like parachutes -
Technical Support		|  they ony function when open."
SynOptics Communications	|
Mountain View, CA		|==================== Thomas Dewar
Email:  Paul_Caloca.SALES@engtwomac.synoptics.com
UUCP: ...!ames.arc.nasa.gov!synoptics.com!engtwomac!Paul_Caloca.SALES
FAX: 415-967-8710

steveg@ni.umd.edu (Steve Green) (09/15/90)

In article <21926@mvis1.com> pcaloca@synoptics.COM (Paul Caloca) writes:

>Does anyone know of a driver for a Kinetics EtherPort II that AUX will
>work with? Are there any other ethernet cards and drivers that AUX
>can recognize? The friendly Apple Technical AnswerLine folks say only
>the Apple Ethernet card will operate with AUX 2.0 and they are expensive
>and in short supply.

Thats almost correct.  Since the Apple card is actually a 3Com card, the
3com card will also work.  As well, Assante makes ethernet cards that are
Apple/3Com compatable.  I have used the 3Com and the Assante 10 base T cards
with AUX 2.0 successfully.

The Assante 10 base 2 (I dunno 'bout the others) will operate in 32 or 24
bit mode under MacOS.  I assume that it operates in 24 bit mode under AUX
as does the Apple/3Com card.

Strangly, the Assante 10 base T card did not work with the Apple router
last time I tried.
---
"Silica gel -- No not eat."			steveg@umd5.umd.edu

--
---
Silica gel -- No not eat.

einhorn@triton.unm.edu (E Drew Einhorn ADV.SCI.Inc) (09/16/90)

In article <1990Sep14.230450.7039@ni.umd.edu> steveg@ni.umd.edu (Steve Green) writes:
>In article <21926@mvis1.com> pcaloca@synoptics.COM (Paul Caloca) writes:
>>
>>Does anyone know of a driver for a Kinetics EtherPort II that AUX will
>>work with? Are there any other ethernet cards and drivers that AUX
>>can recognize? The friendly Apple Technical AnswerLine folks say only
>>the Apple Ethernet card will operate with AUX 2.0 and they are expensive
>>and in short supply.

Jim Jagielski (jim@jag2.gsfc.nasa.gov) has made A/UX 1.1 drivers for
the EtherPort II available for anon ftp on his machine.  Jim says the
driver works fine with A/UX 2.0.  He had to make only a minor
adjustment to the installation script.  He warns that the driver only
supports TCP/IP.

Kinetics was bought out an broken into pieces scattered around the
country.  Spent a frustrating day calling wrong numbers and being
referred to other wrong numbers.  Novell (408/473-8700) is continuing
to manufacture and sell newer versions of the EtherPort II.  They also
provide Tech Support for the older versions.  They can send you a
current MacOS driver you can use to determine whether your card is
broken or you are having problems with the AUX install.  Hardware
documentation for the older cards is out of print, but you can talk to
someone in Tech Support who will look things up for you.  Don't mention
A/UX until you actually get to talk to a Tech Support person who is
knowledgeable about the EtherPort.  Otherwise you will be referred to
Dayna Communications.

Dayna (801/531-0600) is writing new drivers to provide full support for
an assortment of protocols under A/UX 2.0.  Recieved an anonymous note
from a Novell employee who was unable to obtain drivers for his
Etherport II and got his boss to buy him an Apple card.  Don't know if
the Dayna drivers are available yet.  Will have to call them again
Monday morning.

I am in the midst of attempting to install the 1.1 driver on my IIci.
Jim notes that these drivers are for the OLDER version of the EtherPort
II.  Should find a sticker on the back of the card that indicates:
9800048-xx or 9800083-xx.

So far so good.  Followed Jims instructions and built an new kernel.
Rebooted.  A/UX came up without a hitch.  Fixed up my /etc/hosts.
Installed the card in the IIci.  Hooked it up to the ethernet.
Rebooted another time.  Tried a ping.  "sendto: Network is unreachable".
Did a netstat.  There is no route.  Time to read TFM.

Found instructions about a bunch of stuff I had already done.  Took a
closer look at the files that came from Jim's tar file.  startup_ep is
a script that is installed as /etc/startup.d/ep, it asks questions and
sets a lot of things up that need to be setup.  What command do I have
to issue to get its argument list built and the script executed?

Thanks,

--
 einhorn@triton.unm.edu

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) (09/17/90)

In <21926@mvis1.com> pcaloca@synoptics.COM (Paul Caloca) writes:

>Does anyone know of a driver for a Kinetics EtherPort II that AUX will
>work with? Are there any other ethernet cards and drivers that AUX
>can recognize? The friendly Apple Technical AnswerLine folks say only
>the Apple Ethernet card will operate with AUX 2.0 and they are expensive
>and in short supply.

The Apple Technical AnswerLine folks are being economical with the truth.
The A/UX 1.1.1 driver for the old Kinetics Etherport II card will work
with A/UX 2.0, but it won't support the EtherTalk printing. It is enough
to give you NFS and TCP however.

>I've just installed AUX 2.0 on my Mac IIfx and it crashes when AUX is
>started. Apple suggested I remove the EtherPort card and restart and
>all works fine, but I now have no access to my NFS network and TCP/IP.
>Can someone let me know where I can ftp a driver for the card or
>recommend an alternate ethernet card/driver combo that works?

You must NOT enable the Kinetics Ethernet driver under MacOS before you
boot A/UX. Apart from that advice, I know no reason why the Etherport II
card shouldn't work on your IIfx - it worked fine in a IIfx I had for 1 day
running A?UX 2.0 b10.
--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP

jim@jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) (09/17/90)

In article <1990Sep15.193047.11354@ariel.unm.edu> einhorn@triton.unm.edu (E Drew Einhorn ADV.SCI.Inc) writes:

>So far so good.  Followed Jims instructions and built an new kernel.
>Rebooted.  A/UX came up without a hitch.  Fixed up my /etc/hosts.
>Installed the card in the IIci.  Hooked it up to the ethernet.
>Rebooted another time.  Tried a ping.  "sendto: Network is unreachable".
>Did a netstat.  There is no route.  Time to read TFM.

Make sure that the /etc/NETADDRS file is correct as well as /etc/HOSTNAME

>Found instructions about a bunch of stuff I had already done.  Took a
>closer look at the files that came from Jim's tar file.  startup_ep is
>a script that is installed as /etc/startup.d/ep, it asks questions and
>sets a lot of things up that need to be setup.  What command do I have
>to issue to get its argument list built and the script executed?

This script should be run when the EPII-kernel is booted for the 1st time.
It gets the host name, domain name, IP adrresss, etc... from the user and puts
them in the appropriate files: /etc/HOSTNAME and /etcNETADDRS. If you remove
these files and reboot, the script should be rerun again, otherwise edit them
to what they should be.

The formats of the files are:

HOSTNAME: 1st field = host name
	  2nd field = domain name

NETADDRS: 1st field = Ethernet logical unit #
	  2nd field = IP address
	  3rd field = IP broadcast address
	  4th field = netmask

Good luck!
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.1
     jim@jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

"Kilimanjaro is a pretty tricky climb. Most of it's up, until you reach
 the very, very top, and then it tends to slope away rather sharply."

powers@miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (09/18/90)

In article <21926@mvis1.com>, pcaloca@synoptics.COM (Paul Caloca) writes:

> I've just installed AUX 2.0 on my Mac IIfx and it crashes when AUX is
> started. Apple suggested I remove the EtherPort card and restart and
> all works fine, but I now have no access to my NFS network and TCP/IP.
> Can someone let me know where I can ftp a driver for the card or
> recommend an alternate ethernet card/driver combo that works?

Gee,

I'm going to order an ethernet card real soon now for my fx that will soon
be running AUX 2.0.  I was intending to purchase the Asante Mac Cone IIe,
does anyone know if this card works ?

				Mark Powers
				Academic Computer Service
				Miami University

einhorn@triton.unm.edu (E Drew Einhorn ADV.SCI.Inc) (09/19/90)

In article <1990Sep15.193047.11354@ariel.unm.edu> I wrote:

>>So far so good.  Followed Jims instructions and built an new kernel.
>>Rebooted.  A/UX came up without a hitch.  Fixed up my /etc/hosts.
>>Installed the card in the IIci.  Hooked it up to the ethernet.
>>Rebooted another time.  Tried a ping.  "sendto: Network is unreachable".
>>Did a netstat.  There is no route.  Time to read TFM.

Didn't find the answer in TFM (It may be there).  Found the solution by
trial and error.

I did not understand the automatic kernel reconfiguration process. I
now believe that ethernet card must be installed in the nubus when the
installation script is run.  I had thought the installation script just
insured that the pieces of the kernel were left in the right places and
the nubus was not interrogated until the time of the actual boot.  When
I reran the installation script with the ethernet card installed and
then rebooted the system one more time:  the startup script was
executed, I was prompted to enter an IP address, broadcast address, and
netmask, /etc/NETADDRS was built, and the ethernet connection came up.
Thanks Jim for making the drivers available and for your suggestions.

On to the next problem.  Apple Tech Support says that I need to get a
patch tape from Sun before my NFS mount will work and they will call me
back later with more info.  Called Sun with with partial info and they
are sending me a patch file.

I think this news group needs a period posting
of where to find resources, especially a list of known problems and the
solutions or workarounds.

--
 einhorn@triton.unm.edu

justin@Apple.COM (Justin Walker) (09/24/90)

In article <3429@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> jim@jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) writes:
>In article <1990Sep15.193047.11354@ariel.unm.edu> einhorn@triton.unm.edu (E Drew Einhorn ADV.SCI.Inc) writes:
>This script should be run when the EPII-kernel is booted for the 1st time.
>It gets the host name, domain name, IP adrresss, etc... from the user and puts
>them in the appropriate files: /etc/HOSTNAME and /etcNETADDRS. If you remove
>these files and reboot, the script should be rerun again, otherwise edit them
>to what they should be.
	For A/UX 2.0, the startup scripts shouldn't try to chat with the
	user; this should be done at "newconfig" time instead.  The 2.0 startup
	regimen assumes NO user interactions.

>           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.1
>     jim@jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

Regards,

Justin
--
Justin C. Walker, Curmudgeon-At-Large   (justin@apple.com) *
A/UX Group                              *------------------|

jim@jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) (09/24/90)

In article <45070@apple.Apple.COM> justin@Apple.COM (Justin Walker) writes:
>In article <3429@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> jim@jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) writes:
>>In article <1990Sep15.193047.11354@ariel.unm.edu> einhorn@triton.unm.edu (E Drew Einhorn ADV.SCI.Inc) writes:
>>This script should be run when the EPII-kernel is booted for the 1st time.
>>It gets the host name, domain name, IP adrresss, etc... from the user and puts
>>them in the appropriate files: /etc/HOSTNAME and /etcNETADDRS. If you remove
>>these files and reboot, the script should be rerun again, otherwise edit them
>>to what they should be.
>	For A/UX 2.0, the startup scripts shouldn't try to chat with the
>	user; this should be done at "newconfig" time instead.  The 2.0 startup
>	regimen assumes NO user interactions.

As mentioned before... these drivers and docs are for 1.1 although they will work
for 2.0 (that is the driver part) they are not 2.0 aware or "tuned".

Hopefully the new drivers from Dayna will be better.

#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)

einhorn@triton.unm.edu (E Drew Einhorn ADV.SCI.Inc) (09/25/90)

In article <3479@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> jim@jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov (Jim Jagielski) writes:
>Hopefully the new drivers from Dayna will be better.

I was talking to a Tech Support guy at Novell and he told me that the new
Dayna drivers will only support the new half size Etherport II cards.

If that's true those of us with old full size Etherport II cards are going
to have to live with the 1.1 drivers or write our own.
--
 einhorn@triton.unm.edu

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) (09/25/90)

In <45070@apple.Apple.COM> justin@Apple.COM (Justin Walker) writes:

>	For A/UX 2.0, the startup scripts shouldn't try to chat with the
>	user; this should be done at "newconfig" time instead.  The 2.0 startup
>	regimen assumes NO user interactions.

Perhaps you should change the /etc/startup.d/ae6 script in that case,
since it prompts the user for information if it is unable to read the
stored information in /etc/NETADDRS.  In my experience, the usual reason
for being asked these questions is that the root file system is so full
that pipes no longer work, so the lines

          set ''`/bin/sed -n "/^[       ]*$unit/p" /etc/NETADDRS`
          n=$#
          inetaddr=$2; broadcast=$3; netmask=$4

don't work and the script prompts for things to replace the null values.
This condition is self-fulfilling, because the answers don't get used,
and the file system is actually likely to be full of half-made kernel fragment.

Request: could autoconfig please immediately remove the file /unix, before
attempting to build a new one - that way we only need 2.5 kernels worth of
free space, rather than 3.5 kernels.