[comp.unix.aux] /etc/disktab entry for SyQuest cartridge

grant@cft.philips.nl (Joe Grant) (09/24/90)

Hi all,

	can anyone help me with the correct definition in the /etc/disktab
	file or a SyQuest SQ400 cartridge. I tried phoning SyQuest tech.
	support but they were not able to help. I also phoned MicroNet but
	they were unsure - our drive is a MicroNet. If anyone knows what
	the magic numbers are for the definition I'd appreciate it if you
	could e-mail the info to me.

	Thanks in advance,

	Joe Grant.

--
Joe Grant,                       Telex     : 35000 phtc nl/nlmtfarr
Philips B.V., Building HKJ-p833, Telefax   : (31.40.7)37222

davism@creatures.cs.vt.edu (Mat Davis) (09/25/90)

In article <1467@philtis.cft.philips.nl> grant@cft.philips.nl (Joe Grant) writes:
>	can anyone help me with the correct definition in the /etc/disktab
>	file or a SyQuest SQ400 cartridge. I tried phoning SyQuest tech.
>
>Joe Grant,                       Telex     : 35000 phtc nl/nlmtfarr
>Philips B.V., Building HKJ-p833, Telefax   : (31.40.7)37222
>P.O. Box 218, 5600 MD Eindhoven, E-mail    : grant@nlccl.cft.philips.nl
>The Netherlands.                 Telephone : (31.40.7)34382

Here's the entry I use, derived from some information from SyQuest tech
support.  There are three entries here because the drive supports three
sector sizes, but from what I've heard 512 bytes/sector should be the "normal"
one, so I have the name 'syquest' defined as the 512 bytes/sector entry.

	# SyQuest 44M removable
	#
	SyQuest-256|syq256:\
		:ty=winchester:ns#68:nt#2:nc#1275:
	SyQuest-512|syq512|syquest:\
		:ty=winchester:ns#34:nt#2:nc#1275:
	SyQuest-1024|syq1024:\
		:ty=winchester:ns#17:nt#2:nc#1275:

                      Mat Davis (davism@vtopus.cs.vt.edu)
                 Department of Computer Science, Virginia Tech

mnowak@bushido.uucp (Michael A. Nowak) (09/26/90)

In article <1467@philtis.cft.philips.nl> grant@cft.philips.nl (Joe Grant) writes:
>Hi all,
>
>	can anyone help me with the correct definition in the /etc/disktab
>	file or a SyQuest SQ400 cartridge...
>
>	Joe Grant.

Using the information returned from SilverLining (under MacOS), I came up
with the following disktab entry for a SyQuest cartridge:

# SyQuest Cartridge - added 9009.25 by Michael Nowak
#
S45|syquest:\
        :ty=winchester:ns#34:nt#2:nc#1279:

Hope this is right and I hope it helps!  :)

--
Michael Nowak
                                                           Bushido Systems