[comp.unix.aux] ELM 2.3 and gcc

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) (09/26/90)

rhodes@grebyn.com (Ned Rhodes) writes:
>	After seeing other messages about how easy it was to install
>elm2.3, I attempted it.  I used gcc v1.37.91 and the options for sysv
>and bsd source as was recommended.  It compiled and linked and mostly
>ran.  Mostly in the sense that it never went into raw mode so I never
>got single charager mode.  I isolated the problem to the ioctl call
>failing.  When I compiled the module that was doing the ioctl calls
>under cc and linked, everything ran fine.

  Ah yes.  Your problem here is that you didn't correctly install Gcc.  In
particular, you forgot to run the "fixincludes" shell script.  If you don't
do that, ioctl calls (among other things) won't get compiled properly.
(For those interested in the gory details, the reason this is needed is
that /usr/include/sys/ioctl.h does various Stupid Reiser CPP Tricks, i.e.
tricks that worked on the old Reiser C preprocessors used in cc/pcc/etc.,
but don't work on ANSI C compatible preprocessors.  Fixincludes
appropriately converts all the include files that need it to be
ANSI-compatible and puts the fixed copies in /usr/local/lib/gcc-include/,
where gcc will find them and cc isn't bothered by them.)
  I was going to accuse you of not reading the directions, but a quick
check of the gcc binary file I got from wuarchive shows that the README
doesn't in fact mention fixincludes.  Oops.  Given the frequency with which
this question pops up, it probably should be mentioned in README.gcc.aux.
(The README file actually refers one to the INSTALL.aux file for
installation details, but no such file exists.)
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd@servalan.uucp