[comp.unix.aux] Self-rearranging icons under A/UX 2.0 finder. Help!

domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) (09/26/90)

[Possible duplicate.  Sorry if you've seen it before.]

Well, I've installed A/UX 2.0, and most things are on their way to being
fine, except...

I like to keep my folder contents tidy: some filled with neatly-arranged
small icons, some listed by name, and so on.  But for some reason, the
A/UX finder insists on jumbling things up -- sometimes as I watch.
Putting things into the trash is a good way to make the source folder
get munged, but it happens sooner or later anyway.  HOW CAN I NAIL THOSE
DAMNED ICONS DOWN?  (Sorry: can't RTFM, as FM's (where F stands for
Full set of) have yet to be delivered.)

And while I'm here, as a Brit, I'd like to put the date around the
European way, set up my laserwriter to default to A4 paper, and maybe
even rename the trash.  What resources do I have to edit?  Thanks.

The good news: even though I'm a Brit, and the man page for crypt says

     NOTES
        This utility is not provided with international distribu-
        tions.

I've got it.  I expect a call from the U.S. State department any
moment.
--
Dominic Dunlop

mikel@dtg.nsc.com (Michael G. Lohmeyer) (09/27/90)

In article <1990Sep26.145057.5245@tsa.co.uk> domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) writes:
>I like to keep my folder contents tidy: some filled with neatly-arranged
>small icons, some listed by name, and so on.  But for some reason, the
>A/UX finder insists on jumbling things up -- sometimes as I watch.
>Putting things into the trash is a good way to make the source folder
>get munged, but it happens sooner or later anyway.  HOW CAN I NAIL THOSE
>DAMNED ICONS DOWN?  (Sorry: can't RTFM, as FM's (where F stands for
>Full set of) have yet to be delivered.)

     I, as I am sure most, have encountered this.  One way to keep your
icons "nailed down" is to first create your own personal system folder.
Then, always make sure that when you log out, use the LOGOUT option in the
SPECIAL menu in Multifinder.  Don't use the <CONTROL><COMMAND><E> key
sequence to log off because the system will jumble up everything for you
again.  Also, it seems that the same thing happens if you have to reboot
without first loging out as I stated above, and etc.  In otherwords, you
can set up all your icons the way you like it, and as long as you always
log out from Multifinder as I said above, they should stay where you left
them.  The problem, of course, is the first time you crash your Mac, you
loose all that customization again.

     I really like my A/UX system, but this one little detail has got to
be one of the *most* annoying things I can think of about A/UX.  I wish
Apple would do something about it.  Of course, if there is something else
I can do to keep my icons where I left them that I don't know about, please
let me know.  What I stated above is what I learned when I called the Apple
help line and then playyed around a little.

Mike
-------------
The above opinions are my own of course.

Mike Lohmeyer				mikel@dtg.nsc.com
National Semiconductor Corporation	...!dtg.nsc.com!mikel
(408) 721-8075

ron@afsg.apple.com (Ron Flax) (09/27/90)

In article <434@dtg.nsc.com> mikel@dtg.UUCP (Michael G. Lohmeyer) writes:
>In article <1990Sep26.145057.5245@tsa.co.uk> domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) writes:
>>get munged, but it happens sooner or later anyway.  HOW CAN I NAIL THOSE
>>DAMNED ICONS DOWN?  (Sorry: can't RTFM, as FM's (where F stands for

This is by no means a fix, but this is what I do...

I've created a folder in /mac/sys called ".save", and I have
two shell scripts, one called "savedesk", and one called
"fixdesk", that I use to keep a backup copy of the desktop
database.

Here is the contents of "savedesk":
cp "/mac/sys/System Folder/.fs_cache"  /mac/sys/.save
cp "/mac/sys/System Folder/.fs_dirIDs" /mac/sys/.save
cp "/mac/sys/System Folder/Desktop DB" /mac/sys/.save
cp "/mac/sys/System Folder/Desktop DF" /mac/sys/.save

And here is "fixdesk":
cp "/mac/sys/.save/.fs_cache"  "/mac/sys/System Folder/"
cp "/mac/sys/.save/.fs_dirIDs" "/mac/sys/System Folder/"
cp "/mac/sys/.save/Desktop DB" "/mac/sys/System Folder/"
cp "/mac/sys/.save/Desktop DF" "/mac/sys/System Folder/"

After I have set things up how I like them, I logout, then
log back in under the Console Emulator and execute savedesk.
That way if I crash and have to exit without properly
logging out, I can at least recover most of my layout and
cache.  In fact I pretty much always login to the Console
Emulator, and start the mac environment by hand with
'mac32'.  This way I can quickly recover from a crash, and
can save my desk if I happen to make major changes.

The real problem is that the fs_cache only gets updated and
marked clean in the event of a safe logout.  If the file is
in a dirty condition, it is recreated and you start from
scratch.

--
Ron Flax
ron@afsg.apple.com