[comp.unix.aux] Nice things about Apple, A/UX v2 and problems with X

CCHD@lure.latrobe.edu.au (Huw Davies - La Trobe University Computer Centre) (09/29/90)

I know it's against the trend, but I'd like to say some nice things about
Apple :-) Sitting in my office on Thursday, I was awoken from thoughts
of the weekend by the arrival of a package from Apple. It was A/UX v2.0
Now this might not be too surprising, except I hadn't ordered it (yet).
On opening (well it was addressed to me), I found a covering letter which
said that as an early purchaser (in Australia) of A/UX v1 I had received
a _FREE_ update to version 2 as recompense for all the problems encountered.
As you can imagine, I was surprised (shocked, speechless etc...)

Naturally, I wanted to install it there and then. Off to our local
Apple support (Computer Knowledge - they deserve a free plug too) to
borrow a CD drive. Joy oh joy - my new 210Mb Cobra is there too.
So, A/UX v2 and a Cobra at the same time....

After backing up a few important files from the old 80Mb drive, it was
out with the old and in with the new. After 10 minutes formatting and
partitioning the Cobra (OK - so it took 4 hours and a lot of heartburn :-)
the installation proceeded like a charm (OK - so I had told the
installation procedure the wrong SCSI id for the CD - it worked after
I changed it....)

Wham-oh! A/UX version 2. It works! Another couple of hours were spent
configuring it for our network, the campus Bind server and the
dreaded sendmail. But by 9pm it was up and going (and bouncing mail
faster than it ever did before :-(. By 10pm it was all running fine.
Now for X.

I copied the X11R4 tar files from wuarchive, uncompressed the files,
and untarred them into the correct spots. (Nice plug for John Coolidge -
Thanks John) This is where I'm stuck. How am I supposed to start X11 up? I
had Apple's X11R3 running under A/UX 1.1.1 and all I did was log in and
type X. I didn't expect this to work under v2, but what should I do. I have
tried many things including starting A/UX single user and then starting X,
but all I get are core files. Any suggestions?

My configuration is:

	Max IIcx, 8Mb memory, 210Mb Rodime, Apple Ethernet card, MaxView
19" mono monitor.

Any help gratefully received.

Huw Davies
A/UX advocate :-)

You can either e-mail me at the address above or directly to the Mac as
cchd@lucifer.latrobe.edu.au

CCHD@lure.latrobe.edu.au (Huw Davies - La Trobe University Computer Centre) (10/02/90)

In article <4719@lure.latrobe.edu.au>, CCHD@lure.latrobe.edu.au (Huw Davies - La Trobe University Computer Centre) writes:

> Wham-oh! A/UX version 2. It works! Another couple of hours were spent
> configuring it for our network, the campus Bind server and the
> dreaded sendmail. But by 9pm it was up and going (and bouncing mail
> faster than it ever did before :-(. By 10pm it was all running fine.
> Now for X.

The good news - I couldn't get X11R4 going but I reinstalled Apple's
X11R3 for A/UX and it all works (or should I say worked :-(

I decided that a screen-saver would be ideal. I installed Moire but
couldn't get it to work at the login prompt - even if I got the
'about login' signiture box up. So I decided to try another screen saver.
I was down at the local Apple dealer and they had After Dark running
with the Flying Toaster background - I just had to have it!
I rushed back to the office, copied it from disk to a random variety
of system folders, removing the copies of the Moire screen saver.
Reboot to get it all going. Log in....System Error ID=1 Panic!
(Rather a non-subtle pun!).

I reasoned that the problem was removing Moire whilst it was still there.
I tried to copy it back, but to no avail. I removed After Dark and rebooted
System Error ID=1 during the reboot. It looks like I've done real bad.
I'm off early in the morning to borrow the CD drive back again.
Who said reinstallation is good for the soul.

Have a nice day :-(

Huw

PS If you want to send e-mail, I suggest sending it to our VAX-8800
(cchd@lure.latrobe.edu.au) - I haven't had a chance to install new
software on it yet so it's probably still running :-)

demarsee@gamera.acs.syr.EDU (Darryl E. Marsee) (10/03/90)

The only screen saver that I've found that works is the shareware
Blackout from sumex-aim.stanford.edu.  Pyro, AfterDark, Moire, etc.
all caused core dumps for me.

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (10/04/90)

In article <DEMARSEE.90Oct2131023@gamera.acs.syr.EDU> demarsee@gamera.acs.syr.EDU (Darryl E. Marsee) writes:
>The only screen saver that I've found that works is the shareware
>Blackout from sumex-aim.stanford.edu.  Pyro, AfterDark, Moire, etc.
>all caused core dumps for me.

I use Pyro! 4.0 under A/UX 2.0 and it mostly works.  The aquarium scene
unfortunately hangs after a while, but the fireworks does fine.

Edward Moy				Principal Programmer - Macintosh & Unix
Workstation Support Services		Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (10/06/90)

In comp.unix.aux, article <1990Oct3.170732.9078@agate.berkeley.edu>,
  edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu writes:
<
< I use Pyro! 4.0 under A/UX 2.0 and it mostly works.  The aquarium scene
< unfortunately hangs after a while, but the fireworks does fine.
<
This seems to be due to an interaction with Backgrounder.
If you don't need it for bakground printing, remove it from your System and
the aquarium will work (along with one or two of the other Pyro modules).

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330)   \o)/