[comp.unix.aux] How do Mac programs get launched under A/UX?

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (10/10/90)

-------

How do Mac programs get launched under A/UX?  And how do they get their file
names?  That is, if I use the command shell and type "Word myDoc", Word will
open myDoc.

Is "myDoc" passed to Word as a document to be opened, as it would if you had
double clicked on myDoc in MultiFinder?  Is there any way to pass more info to
a Mac program, that is, to add switches like on a Unix command line, e.g

	WhizzyApp file1 file2 -x -Z

?

I don't have access to A/UX docs at the moment, but if this sort of stuff is
documented anywhere -- or hints about programming Mac apps under A/UX in
general, I'd appreciate any leads.

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

lantz@Apple.COM (Bob Lantz) (10/11/90)

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

>How do Mac programs get launched under A/UX?  And how do they get their file
>names?  That is, if I use the command shell and type "Word myDoc", Word will
>open myDoc.

This is described briefly in the manual page for launch(1) (/mac/bin/launch,
not the other launch.)  From the Mac application's point of view, the
parameter mechanism is the same old AppParmHandle described in Inside Mac
volume II.

>Robert

Bob Lantz
A/UX Team