[comp.unix.aux] Fortran on A/UX?

rprohask@orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) (10/24/90)

Does Apple provide a Fortran compiler as part of the A/UX
distribution?  If so, is it any good?

Thanks

bob prohaska

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (10/24/90)

rprohask@orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) writes:
>Does Apple provide a Fortran compiler as part of the A/UX
>distribution?  If so, is it any good?

Yes, we provide f77(1).  It's as good as it ever was. :-)

There are third party Fortran compilers available for A/UX as well.

--Brian Bechtel		blob@apple.com		"My opinion, not Apple's"

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (10/24/90)

In article <45927@apple.Apple.COM> blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) writes:
>rprohask@orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) writes:
>>Does Apple provide a Fortran compiler as part of the A/UX
>>distribution?  If so, is it any good?
>
>Yes, we provide f77(1).  It's as good as it ever was. :-)

Not true, as I understand it. It's much better than it was. In 1.1, I
think, it didn't work. Now it does.

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (10/25/90)

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:

>In article <45927@apple.Apple.COM> blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) writes:
>>rprohask@orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) writes:
>>>Does Apple provide a Fortran compiler as part of the A/UX
>>>distribution?  If so, is it any good?
>>
>>Yes, we provide f77(1).  It's as good as it ever was. :-)

>Not true, as I understand it. It's much better than it was. In 1.1, I
>think, it didn't work. Now it does.

Actually, someone in the A/UX group sent me the following message:

]Actually, our F77 is better than it ever was! We fixed all the bugs,
]ran it thru a test suite, and added the Vax F77 extensions!!!! So
]there!

So I guess the answer is "It's even better than it ever was."  :-)

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) in <45975@apple.Apple.COM> writes:

	Actually, someone in the A/UX group sent me the following message:

	]Actually, our F77 is better than it ever was! We fixed all the bugs,
	]ran it thru a test suite, and added the Vax F77 extensions!!!! So
	]there!

Yow!  Do that include %val, %desc, SYS$..., DECnet, and RMS file support?  :-)

And this is just after Ken Olson (Pres. of DEC) is written up in the local
papers (San Jose Mercury News and San Francisco Chronicle) as saying that
VAX/VMS is (more-or-less) doomed and that in 1991 DEC will integrate UNIX
into VMS.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]