[comp.unix.aux] CommandShell

wiley@ut-emx.uucp (James Wiley) (09/20/90)

The CommandShell emulates a terminal approximately decsribed by
the mac2cs in /etc/termcap which in turn points to a vt100 entry
according to the man pages.  The CommandShell appears not to
understand keypad mode.  This ia a problem when connected to other
systems and trying to run applications such as DEC's editor or
IBM's smit.  Is there a way to change the keyboard behavior of
the CommandShell?

Thanks
James Wiley
wiley@emx.cc.utexas.edu

bvijayar@oracle.uucp (Bharat Vijayaraghavan) (09/22/90)

In article <37396@ut-emx.uucp> wiley@ut-emx.uucp (James Wiley) writes:
>The CommandShell emulates a terminal approximately decsribed by
>the mac2cs in /etc/termcap which in turn points to a vt100 entry
>according to the man pages.  The CommandShell appears not to
>understand keypad mode.  This ia a problem when connected to other
>systems and trying to run applications such as DEC's editor or
>IBM's smit.  Is there a way to change the keyboard behavior of
>the CommandShell?
>
>Thanks
>James Wiley
>wiley@emx.cc.utexas.edu

I had the same experience with the command shell. Apparently the keypad mapping
was not implemented as part of the command shell and unless you get an upgraded
command shell from Apple, I don't think there is very much you can do about it.
More specifically, the "Esc=" sequence does not turn keypad mapping on as the
/etc/termcap file would seem to indicate. This is a Command Shell problem.

Bharat.

einhorn@triton.unm.edu (E Drew Einhorn ADV.SCI.Inc) (11/02/90)

The arrow keys don't seem to be working when I am using a command shell
window rlogged in to another host.  I vaguely remember something about
the CommandShell vt100 emulation being incomplete.  Is this my problem.

Another problem is there an easy way to inform the host of the actual size
of my commandshell window.  Big windows make life easier.  Host on the other
end is a Sun Sparcstation 1.

It appears that CommandShell will only use fixed width fonts (makes sense).
Does anybody know of a fixed width legible font smaller than (or same size but
more legible than) Courier 9 point?
--
 einhorn@triton.unm.edu