[comp.unix.aux] 4 Megg SIMMs. Should I or shouldn't I?

wirehead@oxy.edu (David J. Harr) (11/02/90)

Ok, I am finally taking the big step and upgrading my Mac II to a IIfx.
Since I have to buy all new memory anyway, I am considering getting 4 4Meg
SIMMs and 4 1Meg SIMMs instead of 8 1Meg SIMMs. This is a signifigantly more
expensive proposition, so I want to ask all the people out there in A/UX
land: Is it worth it? Using 20 MBytes of memory, do you see any major
improvement while running A/UX as compared to a stock (stock? I remember
when I lusted after a machine with a whole *2 Megs* in it. Ah, the good old
days...) 8 Meg machine? I don't foresee any really large compiles or
anything under A/UX although I might try out my new shiny MPW 3.2 and see
if it really will compile in the background under A/UX while running
MultiFinder as the front process. Anyway, I would like some guidance on this
(Actually, I'm probably really just looking for enough people to say "GO FOR
IT" that I will fell justified in maxing out yet *ANOTHER* credit card doing
this, but that's another story...) to help me make an informed decision.

The preceding opinion was another fine product from the fevered brain of

			  wirehead@oxy.edu

"When you want wacko opinions, get only the very best."

abm@alan.aux.apple.com (Alan Mimms) (11/02/90)

In article <121667@tiger.oxy.edu>, wirehead@oxy.edu (David J. Harr) writes:
|> Ok, I am finally taking the big step and upgrading my Mac II to a IIfx.
|> Since I have to buy all new memory anyway, I am considering getting 4 4Meg
|> SIMMs and 4 1Meg SIMMs instead of 8 1Meg SIMMs. This is a signifigantly more
|> expensive proposition, so I want to ask all the people out there in A/UX
|> land: Is it worth it? Using 20 MBytes of memory, do you see any major
|> improvement while running A/UX as compared to a stock (stock? I remember
|> when I lusted after a machine with a whole *2 Megs* in it. Ah, the good old
|> days...) 8 Meg machine?

If you run a large Macintosh world or if you run a lot of large processes,
you WILL see a significant improvement.  You cannot get 10 kilos of manure
into a 5 kilo bag. :->  Particularly, X11 client and server take a lot of
space (we're working on this), so if you use X, you might consider going for
the 16MB or more.  I have a 20MB FX here and the difference is like night and
day for my 16MB Macintosh development environment and MacX world and all of
the X11 clients I run all day long.

You also see multiple processes running on the machine (say, a background
compile and the Macintosh world) as "fighting" less, subjectively.  The real
reason is the reduced paging, but the result is that you seem to get more
from your CPU in terms of real work per nanosecond.

|> I don't foresee any really large compiles or
|> anything under A/UX although I might try out my new shiny MPW 3.2 and see
|> if it really will compile in the background under A/UX while running
|> MultiFinder as the front process. Anyway, I would like some guidance on this
|> (Actually, I'm probably really just looking for enough people to say "GO FOR
|> IT" that I will fell justified in maxing out yet *ANOTHER* credit card doing
|> this, but that's another story...) to help me make an informed decision.

I recommend it.  Software only tends to get larger in the long run.

				GO FOR IT!

|> The preceding opinion was another fine product from the fevered brain of
|>
|> 			  wirehead@oxy.edu
|>
|> "When you want wacko opinions, get only the very best."

Mine are about as wacko as you can get.
Luck.

Alan Mimms (alan@apple.com, ...!apple!alan)   | My opinions are generally
A/UX X group                                  | pretty worthless, but
Apple Computer                                | they *are* my own...
"Laugha whila you can, monkey boy..." -- John Whorfin in Buckaroo Bonzai
"Never rub another man's rhubarb" -- The Joker in BatMan

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (11/03/90)

Lesse now.

8 1MB SIMMs: 8 x 40 = $320
4 4MB SIMMs: 4 x 205 = $820

So for $500, you can double your memory from 8 to 16 MB. I can't speak for
you, but I personally wouldn't consider any other alternative. A/UX by itself
is plenty happy in 8MB (_not_ 4, though), but if you want to do lots of Mac,
X, or disk-intensive stuff, you'll page fairly heavily. A 16MB system with
4 or 6 MB or buffers makes for an excellent personal workstation, though...

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis

sramtrc@windy.dsir.govt.nz (11/05/90)

Another factor to consider when using memory is the size of the disk cache
(by default 10% of available memory). Even if you are not running large
programs or not doing lots of paging activity the benefits of a larger disk
cache can still be had. With a cache of size S MB the last S MB of files
that you accessed remain in RAM and so are faster to access next time.
So even if you are not a heavy user, commands execute more quickly.

If you buy 1MB SIMMS and want to add more than 8MB in the future you will
have to remove those SIMMS. But if you buy 4MB SIMMS you won't have to
remove them till you go past 32MB. Fewer trashed SIMMS.

Tony Cooper
sramtrc@albert.dsir.govt.nz

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (11/05/90)

With all this talk of adding 16 megabytes to Mac's, does anyone know
of a NuBus card that can be used to add memory?

Here's an interesting thought: I can get as many 256K RAMS as I want
for free. Could a NuBus board handle 16 Meg of 256K RAMs?
If such a board could handle 256K, 1M, and 4M modules, This would be
the way to go.
--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (11/06/90)

Bruce G. Barnett (barnett@crdgw1.ge.com) writes:
>With all this talk of adding 16 megabytes to Mac's, does anyone know
>of a NuBus card that can be used to add memory?
>Here's an interesting thought: I can get as many 256K RAMS as I want
>for free. Could a NuBus board handle 16 Meg of 256K RAMs?
>If such a board could handle 256K, 1M, and 4M modules, This would be
>the way to go.

Yes, but no...
National Semiconductor has a board that can handle up to 16MB, but I don't
know if it can take 256K simms.

In any event, you probably don't want to do this. The money you spend on the
board could instead go to 4MB SIMMs. Furthermore, access to that RAM would go
over NuBus, and would thus be _slow_ compared to regular memory. (I seem to
recall a minimun 300ns access time, though I'm not sure. That would make it
about 4 times slower, although you might make some of it back on wait states
you wouldn't need.)

Tech issues aside, the economics of the situation pretty much rule it out,
I think...

---

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov6.041551.2038@panix.uucp> alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:

>In any event, you probably don't want to do this. The money you spend on the
>board could instead go to 4MB SIMMs. Furthermore, access to that RAM would go
>over NuBus, and would thus be _slow_ compared to regular memory. (I seem to
>recall a minimun 300ns access time, though I'm not sure. That would make it
>about 4 times slower, although you might make some of it back on wait states
>you wouldn't need.)

I didn't realize this. I knew the NuBus was slow, but this is ridiculous.
I guess I have been spoiled by *real* workstations. :-)

>   Tech issues aside, the economics of the situation pretty much rule it out,
>   I think...

Well, I thought if I could get a bare board for $200-$300, and get 16 Megs
of 256K SIMMS for free, I could come out ahead. I guess not.
--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (11/07/90)

In article <BARNETT.90Nov6083827@grymoire.crd.ge.com> barnett@crdgw1.ge.com writes:
>I didn't realize this. I knew the NuBus was slow, but this is ridiculous.
>I guess I have been spoiled by *real* workstations. :-)

Well, let's not be _too_ critical. It's a lot more powerful than the Sbus.
And it's not so far behind VMEbus. But today's high-speed processors demand
a specialized high-speed connection to memory. This includes all the Sparc
machines and the RS-6000s (current speed champs?) as well as the Mac. They
all use SIMM slots of some sort. (The IBM has an intermediary board which
does all sorts of slick stuff, but it's irrelevant in this context). In fact,
on the IBM, even with the direct access to memory, they need such a high
bandwidth that they interleave four ways (eight?).

So the Mac is not really any different from the current crop of workstations.
Like all of them, it wants special connections for RAM. The only difference
between it and other workstations is that it can't deal with more than 32MB
(unless, possibly, you have 16MB SIMMs).

---

esmith@goofy.apple.com (Eric Smith) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov6.041551.2038@panix.uucp> alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:

>   In any event, you probably don't want to do this. The money you spend on the
>   board could instead go to 4MB SIMMs. Furthermore, access to that RAM would go
>   over NuBus, and would thus be _slow_ compared to regular memory. (I seem to
>   recall a minimun 300ns access time, though I'm not sure. That would make it
>   about 4 times slower, although you might make some of it back on wait states
>   you wouldn't need.)

300 nS is the minimum CYCLE time.  On a Macintosh IIx, the RAM on the logic
board is run with 255.3 nS cycles, which is not that much faster than the
maximum NuBus speed.  Then again, there is a synchronization delay to access
NuBus, and many (most?) NuBus cards don't run a maximum theoretical speed.

I don't know exactly how fast the Macintosh IIfx runs DRAM cycles, but it
can't be much faster than 200 nS (most 80 nS RAMs are spec'd for about
190 nS cycles).  I would expect that main RAM access on the IIfx would be
about twice the speed of a fast NuBus card.

--
Eric L. Smith      Opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those
esmith@apple.com   of my employer, friends, family, computer, or even me!  :-)

barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov7.033951.6420@panix.uucp> alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:

>   >I didn't realize this. I knew the NuBus was slow, but this is ridiculous.
>   >I guess I have been spoiled by *real* workstations. :-)
>
>   Well, let's not be _too_ critical. It's a lot more powerful than the Sbus.

The SBus has a few features: Cheap. Fast. Multiple Masters.
The SBus graphics Accelerator (GX) has the ability to scale with the speed
of the CPU. The same Sbus device supports the 27 MIP Sparc 2 and will
also support a 50 MIPS Sun.

If the NuBus is better, send me e-mail off line and we can
continue this discussion without boring people.

>   And it's not so far behind VMEbus.

True, Sun added an extra set of connectors on the VME bus to handle
fast memory. But the Sun is a workstation company who thinks about
DMA, virtual memory, etc. External memory boards worked fine on
the Sun 3/Sun4 VME family.

>   So the Mac is not really any different from the current crop of workstations.
>   Like all of them, it wants special connections for RAM.

The reason why some workstations don't have external memory boards
is that they can put enough directly on the main CPU board.

Some workstations will need 256MBytes (or more) of memory, and these
support a bus that allows access at memory speeds.

I guess I was looking for a cheap way to add more memory. Sigh.
--
Bruce G. Barnett	barnett@crd.ge.com	uunet!crdgw1!barnett

aib@stc06.ornl.gov (BLAND A S) (11/08/90)

The National Semiconductor NuBus memory board does not work with A/UX
2.0.  When I called, their Tech rep said they had no plans to update the
A/UX driver to make it work.  Don't buy one for use with A/UX unless you
are willing to write your own driver!  Buy the 4Meg SIMMs.

This is my own opinion.  Not my employer's.

Buddy Bland
Oak Ridge National Lab
aib@ornl.gov