[comp.unix.aux] XWindows ??

Don.Gilbert@IUBio.Bio.Indiana.Edu (Don Gilbert) (11/06/90)

I am close to deciding on a purchase of A/UX.  I probably want to
incorporate XWindow technology in any unix soft that I develop.  My home
(development) computer has no net connection.  Will I be able to run
XWindow clients and server together under A/UX on a stand-alone mac?
  Someone, probably here, said A/UX 2.0.1, due in January (?) will include
X Window System in the bundle, rather than as a separate item.   Can
anyone verify this and do you know if the price of A/UX will change due to
this?  I'm trying to fit this into a tight budget.

-- Don

Don.Gilbert@iubio.bio.indiana.edu
biology dept., indiana univ.,  bloomington, in 47405, usa

abm@alan.aux.apple.com (Alan Mimms) (11/06/90)

In article <7506@cica.cica.indiana.edu>, Don.Gilbert@IUBio.Bio.Indiana.Edu (Don Gilbert) writes:
|> I am close to deciding on a purchase of A/UX

Good choice.

|> Will I be able to run
|> XWindow clients and server together under A/UX on a stand-alone mac?

Yes.  See below for more info.

|> Someone, probably here, said A/UX 2.0.1, due in January (?) will
|> include X Window System in the bundle, rather than as a separate
|> item.   Can anyone verify this and do you know if the price of
|> A/UX will change due to this?  I'm trying to fit this into a
|> tight budget.

Actually, what A/UX 2.0.1 includes with regard to the X Window System is
an Apple product called MacX, which is an X Window System SERVER (only).
(Actually, it does include a few other things, but not clients per se.)
Thus, you'll need to get a complete set of X11 CLIENTS as well, in order
to use A/UX as an X11 workstation and development environment.  You can
get a product from Apple called the X Window System for A/UX, which
includes an MIT-style X11 server, as well as MacX, and a full set of
clients and development libraries and etc. for $350.  You can get this
from the Apple Programmers and Developers Association (APDA).

I do not believe the price of A/UX will change due to the inclusion of
MacX.

An alternative to purchase of the X Window System for A/UX to use as a
cost-savings measure would be to take the MIT X11R4 sources and compile
them on A/UX.  This is fairly straightforward, if somewhat
time-consuming.  (Note that our X Window System product is NOT a
straight port; very significant enchancements -- especially with regard
to performance -- are built into the software, and an excellent set of
manuals above and beyond the normal MIT manual pages is included.)

(To be strictly accurate, A/UX 2.0.1 DOES include an X11 client: xcalc.)

|> -- Don
|>
|> Don.Gilbert@iubio.bio.indiana.edu
|> biology dept., indiana univ.,  bloomington, in 47405, usa

Alan Mimms (alan@apple.com, ...!apple!alan)   | My opinions are generally
A/UX X group                                  | pretty worthless, but
Apple Computer                                | they *are* my own...
"Laugha whila you can, monkey boy..." -- John Whorfin in Buckaroo Bonzai
"Never rub another man's rhubarb" -- The Joker in BatMan

rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) (11/06/90)

In article <11116@goofy.Apple.COM> abm@alan.aux.apple.com (Alan Mimms) writes:
>Thus, you'll need to get a complete set of X11 CLIENTS as well, in order
>to use A/UX as an X11 workstation and development environment.  You can
>get a product from Apple called the X Window System for A/UX, which
>includes an MIT-style X11 server, as well as MacX, and a full set of
>clients and development libraries and etc. for $350.  You can get this
>from the Apple Programmers and Developers Association (APDA).

Actually, X Window System for A/UX is NOT available through APDA.  I believe
it is only available through A/UX-Authorized Apple Dealers.

The only A/UX-related Apple products available through APDA are:
A/UX Device Drivers Kit, Version 2.0
cdb Interactive Debugger
A/UX Guide to POSIX, Version 2.0
A/UX Network Applications Programming

Rick Fleischman
Developer Programs/APDA
Apple Computer, Inc.
e-mail: rickf@apple.com
AppleLink: FLEISCHMAN@applelink.apple.com

coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (11/06/90)

abm@alan.aux.apple.com (Alan Mimms) writes:
>An alternative to purchase of the X Window System for A/UX to use as a
>cost-savings measure would be to take the MIT X11R4 sources and compile
>them on A/UX.  This is fairly straightforward, if somewhat
>time-consuming.  (Note that our X Window System product is NOT a
>straight port; very significant enchancements -- especially with regard
>to performance -- are built into the software, and an excellent set of
>manuals above and beyond the normal MIT manual pages is included.)

In fact, I've done this (with significant enhancements --- the
use of shared libraries), and the results can be ftp'd from
wuarchive.wustl.edu.

Out of curiousity: will Apple's enhancements be in X11R5 (i.e.
will the changes be released to the world at large)?

--John

John L. Coolidge     Internet:coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP:uiucdcs!coolidge
Of course I don't speak for the U of I (or anyone else except myself)
Copyright 1990 John L. Coolidge. Copying allowed if (and only if) attributed.
You may redistribute this article if and only if your recipients may as well.

pke@public.BTR.COM (Peter Espen pke@btr.com) (11/08/90)

> ............................................  Will I be able to run
> XWindow clients and server together under A/UX on a stand-alone mac?
>
> -- Don

	Yes, you can. You simply need to be able to rlogin to your
own system. A/UX, of course, supports this.

	I purchased A/UX 2.0 and the X-Windows system from Apple. If I
had to do this again today, I would not buy th X-Windows system from
Apple.  For one thing, Apple's X-Windows systems comes with Release 4
server and fonts, but all the libraries, manual pages, and include
files are Release 3. Also, Apple does not include all the clients from
MIT's release 4, and many that are included are older versions.  This
means that you can run release 4 clients, but you cannot compile
or build any release 4 clients of your own (or compile anyone elses
release 4 code).
	A really good X-Windows release 4 build for A/UX 2.0 is
available FREE from wuarchive.wustl.edu.  I have downloaded this and
have found it to be a complete and stable release 4 build. There were
a few minor bugs early on, but they are all fixed now.
	So, just my opinion, of course, but why would anyone want to
buy an outdated and crippled X-Windows system from Apple, when you can
get the most up-to-date X-Windows system FREE from wuarchive.wustl.edu??
Don't make the same mistake that I did.

	Peter Espen
	pke@btr.com
	peter@sophia.com

peters@Apple.COM (11/08/90)

In article <911@public.BTR.COM>, pke@public.BTR.COM (Peter Espen
pke@btr.com) writes:
|> 	So, just my opinion, of course, but why would anyone want to
|> buy an outdated and crippled X-Windows system from Apple, when you
can
|> get the most up-to-date X-Windows system FREE from
wuarchive.wustl.edu??
|> Don't make the same mistake that I did.

One of the reasons Apple *contributes* the macII ddx layer to the X
Consortium is so that "leading-edge" A/UX customers can have immediate
access to the latest bits. Its discouraging to see this strategy
"boomerang" at the hands of Mr. Epsen.

Long publication and testing lead times prevented us from shipping all
the R4 components in the June '90 release. We did, however, think it
important to deliver the vastly superior R4 server at that time (along
with MacX). Its worth noting too that since the January 1990 MIT
release, about 400 "blessed" X11R4 bug fixes have been distributed
within the X Consortium. These have been incoporated into Apple's next X
release. That's one reason many customers may choose to buy Apple's X
Window System product; three others are QA, the books, and the support
team.

--
Steve Peters
X Project Leader

chn@lanl.gov (Charles Neil) (11/08/90)

In article <11116@goofy.Apple.COM>, abm@alan.aux.apple.com (Alan Mimms) writes:
> In article <7506@cica.cica.indiana.edu>, Don.Gilbert@IUBio.Bio.Indiana.Edu (Don Gilbert) writes:
> |> I am close to deciding on a purchase of A/UX
>
> Good choice.

[words of encouragement deleted]

> (Note that our X Window System product is NOT a
> straight port; very significant enchancements -- especially with regard
> to performance -- are built into the software, and an excellent set of
> manuals above and beyond the normal MIT manual pages is included.)
>
> Alan Mimms (alan@apple.com, ...!apple!alan)   | My opinions are generally
> A/UX X group                                  | pretty worthless, but
> Apple Computer                                | they *are* my own...

I have to respond to this performance statement.  Here on a MacIIfx with
16 M memory, I have both Apple's commercial MacX for A/UX 2.0 and MIT's
standard X11R4 (with patches 1-19) distribution compiled under gcc
1.37.91.  In doing large nos. of vector draws on a Tektronix xterm, I
roughly gauged the MIT server to operate twice as fast as the MacX server.
So I ran x11perf on each server in one-bit mode to check it out.
Here are the results of the first few x11perf tests:

                                    Repetitions/sec
Test Name                           MIT     MacX     Factor
---------------------------------   ---     ----     ------
    Dot                             97300   26800    3.6
    1x1 rectangle                   28200   12600    2.2
  10x10 rectangle                   14700   9120     1.6
100x100 rectangle                   1320    1000     1.3
500x500 rectangle                   108     36       3.0
    1x1 stippled rectangle          24800   10600    2.3
  10x10 stippled rectangle          13000   7310     1.8
100x100 stippled rectangle          944     792      1.2
500x500 stippled rectangle          62      32       1.9
    1x1 opaque stippled rectangle   7000    6390     2.6
  10x10 opaque stippled rectangle   5290    2500     2.1
500x500 opaque stippled rectangle   68      25       2.7

These figures support the rule my fingers already knew:  don't do
graphics under MacX; use X11R4 for that.  The beauty is we can have
both; it takes me maybe 30 sec. to switch from X11R4 to the Macintosh
desktop.
--

	-Charlie Neil (chn@lanl.gov)
	 Los Alamos National Laboratory (505) 665-0978

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (11/08/90)

In article <5268@lanl.gov> chn@lanl.gov (Charles Neil) writes:
>In article <11116@goofy.Apple.COM>, abm@alan.aux.apple.com (Alan Mimms) writes:
>> (Note that our X Window System product is NOT a
>> straight port; very significant enchancements -- especially with regard
>> to performance -- are built into the software, and an excellent set of
>> manuals above and beyond the normal MIT manual pages is included.)
>
>I have to respond to this performance statement.  Here on a MacIIfx with
>16 M memory, I have both Apple's commercial MacX for A/UX 2.0 and MIT's
>standard X11R4 (with patches 1-19) distribution compiled under gcc
>1.37.91.  In doing large nos. of vector draws on a Tektronix xterm, I
>roughly gauged the MIT server to operate twice as fast as the MacX server.
>So I ran x11perf on each server in one-bit mode to check it out.
>Here are the results of the first few x11perf tests:
> [much substatiation of this claim deleted.]

You're misinterpreting Alan's claim. (Or perhaps he mistyped. But in a number
of discussions, nobody at Apple has ever made this claim, to my knowledge.)

What he and others have been saying is that the _native_ X server which is
included in MacX is faster than the native X from MIT. I haven't tested
this personally but just by eyeballing it I think they're right.

>These figures support the rule my fingers already knew:  don't do
>graphics under MacX; use X11R4 for that.  The beauty is we can have
>both; it takes me maybe 30 sec. to switch from X11R4 to the Macintosh
>desktop.

Which ever native X you use, this is certainly true.

BTW, Apple is including MacX with A/UX 2.0.1.

They have also stated that they'll be sending their changes for the native X
back to MIT for inclusion in R4. No time frame on this yet.

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis

pke@public.BTR.COM (Peter Espen pke@btr.com) (11/09/90)

In article <1990Nov7.131404@springer.Apple.COM>, peters@Apple.COM writes:
> In article <911@public.BTR.COM>, pke@public.BTR.COM (Peter Espen
> pke@btr.com) writes:
> |> 	So, just my opinion, of course, but why would anyone want to
> |> buy an outdated and crippled X-Windows system from Apple, when you
> can
> |> get the most up-to-date X-Windows system FREE from
> wuarchive.wustl.edu??
> |> Don't make the same mistake that I did.
> |>

> One of the reasons Apple *contributes* the macII ddx layer to the X
> Consortium is so that "leading-edge" A/UX customers can have immediate
> access to the latest bits.
>
> ............ Its worth noting too that since the January 1990 MIT
> release, about 400 "blessed" X11R4 bug fixes have been distributed
> within the X Consortium. These have been incoporated into Apple's next X
> release. That's one reason many customers may choose to buy Apple's X
> Window System product; three others are QA, the books, and the support
> team.

	It is a good thing that Apple contributes the macII ddx layer to
the X Consortium. If, however, a "leading-edge" A/UX customer wants to
have "immediate access to the latest bits" it is necessary to get the
latest source code and compile it. This is not possible if you only have
the libraries and include files that come with Apple's X-Windows. You
can't build the latest server release if you only have the older release
3 libraries and include files that are part of the Apple X-Windows
distribution.
	The material that is covered in the books that comes with Apple's
X-Windows is covered in greater and more up-to-date detail in the O'Reilly
series. If you buy three of the O'Reilly books (at $35 each, retail), you
essentially have everything that's covered in Apple's X-Windows documentation.
	You only get Apple's support for 30 days. After that, it will cost
you $1000. The support you get if you already have access to USENET news
is alot cheaper.  Why aren't there any updates or patches on
aux.support.apple.com? No one at Apple will even say when a update release
of Apple's X-Windows will be available and at what cost. If patches and
updates aren't made available by Apple on something like aux.support.apple.com,
then the only alternative is to wait until some unknown future date for
an update to a product that is already out-dated when you buy it for $350.
Another alternative for someone on a limited budget, is to not buy Apple's
X-WIndows release and to get it from other sources for free.

	Peter Espen
	pke@btr.com
	peter@sophia.com

alan@apple.com (Alan Mimms) (11/09/90)

In article <5268@lanl.gov>, chn@lanl.gov (Charles Neil) writes:
|> In article <11116@goofy.Apple.COM>, abm@alan.aux.apple.com
|> (Alan Mimms) writes:
|> >
|> > Good choice.
|>
|> [words of encouragement deleted]
|>
|> > (Note that our X Window System product is NOT a
|> > straight port; very significant enchancements -- especially with
|> > regard to performance -- are built into the software, and an
|> > excellent set of manuals above and beyond the normal MIT manual
|> > pages is included.)

|> I have to respond to this performance statement.  Here on a MacIIfx
|> with 16 M memory, I have both Apple's commercial MacX for A/UX 2.0
|> and MIT's standard X11R4 (with patches 1-19) distribution compiled
|> under gcc 1.37.91

[performance figures clearly showing Charles' point deleted]

|> These figures support the rule my fingers already knew:  don't do
|> graphics under MacX; use X11R4 for that.  The beauty is we can have
|> both; it takes me maybe 30 sec. to switch from X11R4 to the Macintosh
|> desktop.

I was referring to our so-called "Native X" server (available as part of
the X Window System for A/UX product from Apple), which works just like
the MIT server -- and cannot be used simultaneously with the Macintosh
world on A/UX (won't run on MacOS either).  While you might find porting
the MIT code fairly painless, many people won't.  If you use the ported
MIT-supplied X11R4 release you'll not get the excellent manuals our Pubs
people write or the consortium code bugfixes and speedups we include or
the bugfixes we include as a result of our extensive software quality
assurance testing.  The choice is yours to make.

Our Native X11 server (especially the X11R4 based version) is faster
than the MIT code by a good margin for a number of types of operations.
We are CONSTANTLY working on speedups and bugfixes which are generally
only available to consortium members.  We are also doing some very
effective optimizations which are specific to A/UX and Macintosh.

Your comments about MacX 1.0 are justified.  It IS a very convenient way
to use X clients while working cleanly together (i.e., cut and paste)
with the Macintosh world.  But MacX 1.0 (like the version 1.0 release of
practically anything) has a few performance issues that we're working
very hard on right now.  Stay tuned.