[net.followup] Reagan

oded@wisdom.BITNET (Oded Maler) (09/23/86)

Newsgroups: net.followup
Subject: Re: A new call for ignorance

Watching the American politics from a very distant colony of the American
empire raises some intriguing thoughts: Is this strange old man the best
choice as a leader of the free world? When I see him talk on TV about
international affairs, drugs, space programs or whatever I do not know
whether to laugh or cry - to laugh because it is ridicilous, to cry because
his appearence indicates that some PR/marketing has come to the conclusion
that this kind of s--t (stuff) is what most Americans prefer. Some of his
arguments are so low-level that even the most demagogic Israeli politician
will not use such.

To my opinion the Reagan period will prove within a few years to be one of
the worst of late american history, regardless of the current euphoria. You
*cannot* cheat ALL the people ALL the time.

        Oded Maler

p.s.

About the drugs: Reagan is not a good advertisement for the mental ability
and productivity of non-drug-users.

brian@sequent.UUCP (Brian Godfrey) (09/24/86)

>Watching the American politics from a very distant colony of the American
>empire raises some intriguing thoughts: Is this strange old man the best
>choice as a leader of the free world?

   Since when must our President be the "Leader of the Free World" and who
made him so. No wonder we Americans are looked on as arrogant by much of
the world.

>To my opinion the Reagan period will prove within a few years to be one of
>the worst of late american history, regardless of the current euphoria. You
>*cannot* cheat ALL the people ALL the time.

   Uncle Ronnie Rayguns may not be one of my all-time favorite people, but
he hasn't been as bad as I thought he would be when he was first elected.
We haven't had a war or anything, yet. I figured he'd have us out there
shooting within his first year.

   Change is something that will always happen and will always make people
unhappy. When we elect a President we expect him to go in a change all of the
bad things in the world.  There has been some change since Ronnie's election,
but not a whole lot, and probably nothing that wouldn't have changed without
him. The "good" politicians are the ones who recognize the beginnings of a
good change and latch onto it for the ride. Is Ronnie a good politician? A
lot of people think so if you read the polls. I find myself wanting to say
"yeah, but they are all the lowest common denominator types. You know -
cowboys and businessmen." Then I realize that most of them are average
Americans with at-least-decent educations. Just as Ronnie's opponents are.

   I guess we'll just have to be patient for a couple more years and then
we can elect someone else whom everyone will hate. We'll never be satisfied
because nobody can satisfy us.

>About the drugs: Reagan is not a good advertisement for the mental ability
>and productivity of non-drug-users.

   He probably doesn't care a lick about drugs. He's just doing it for Nancy.
Remember a few years ago when all the news ever mentioned about Nancy was her
wardrobe? So she set out on a Quest to gain credibility. She decided that to
make war on drugs would be here Quest, and has been building on it for a long
time. When she first started, nobody tried to cover up the fact that the whole
thing was just for her image. People forget in time so there was no need. It
seems to have worked, too. Everyone is certainly into the drug wars now. The
media covers it, the Army fights it, the corporations and governments test
for drugs, and who is out in the forefront? Nanny Nancy and her faithful
sidekick and expert PR person, Uncle Ronnie Rayguns. They probably won't do
anything about the drug problem, but they are sure making a lot of people
happy by fighting the "good fight".

--Brian

kimf@ogcvax.UUCP (Kim Flowers) (09/24/86)

In article <sequent.2018> brian@sequent.UUCP (Brian Godfrey) writes:
>   Since when must our President be the "Leader of the Free World" and who
>made him so. No wonder we Americans are looked on as arrogant by much of
>the world.

The title "Leader of the Free World" is not  conferred  upon  the
President  by  our  arrogance, but as an acknowledgement that the
President is the chief executive of the most powerful  nation  in
the world.  Regardless of whether or not the President is capable
of providing such leadership is irrelevant,  as  other  countries
will at least respond to his actions if not follow them.

		Signed,
			mAd QuArK!

rob@dadla.tek.com (Rob Vetter;1044;92-725;LP=A;60YB) (09/25/86)

In article <2018@sequent.UUCP> brian@sequent.UUCP (Brian Godfrey) writes:

>   Uncle Ronnie Rayguns may not be one of my all-time favorite people, but
>he hasn't been as bad as I thought he would be when he was first elected.
>We haven't had a war or anything, yet. I figured he'd have us out there
>shooting within his first year.

	Of course, Grenada, Lebanon, and Libya don't count.  They weren't
	wars, just "police actions" :-)

>   He probably doesn't care a lick about drugs. He's just doing it for Nancy.
>Remember a few years ago when all the news ever mentioned about Nancy was her
>wardrobe? So she set out on a Quest to gain credibility. She decided that to
>make war on drugs would be here Quest, and has been building on it for a long
>time. When she first started, nobody tried to cover up the fact that the whole
>thing was just for her image. People forget in time so there was no need. It
>seems to have worked, too. Everyone is certainly into the drug wars now. The
>media covers it, the Army fights it, the corporations and governments test
>for drugs, and who is out in the forefront? Nanny Nancy and her faithful
>sidekick and expert PR person, Uncle Ronnie Rayguns. They probably won't do
>anything about the drug problem, but they are sure making a lot of people
>happy by fighting the "good fight".

	And a lot of people angry by fighting "the wrong fight".

Rob Vetter
(503) 629-1044
[ihnp4, ucbvax, decvax, uw-beaver]!tektronix!dadla!rob