[comp.unix.aux] g++ from wuarchive -- does your mileage vary?

sorensen@athena.mit.edu (Alma G. Sorensen) (11/11/90)

I've successfully gotten gcc 1.37.91 off of wuarchive, and eventually gotten
it up and running. (Thanks, John Coolidge!!).

I need g++; I've not been so successful with it.

Unlike gcc, the binaries with g++ a[pparently don't need recompilation
to get installed and working properly -- I thought.  But, I'm getting some
rather nasty errors from g++ on my IIfx running A/UX 2.0.

Has anyone else verified that g++ works well? In particular I'm trying to
get InterViews up and running.

Here's a couple of the hundreds of lines of error message's I'm getting:

/usr/tmp/cca07307.s:711:"Unknown operator" -- Statement 'link.w %a6,&0' ignored
/usr/tmp/cca07307.s:712:"Unknown operator" -- Statement 'movm.l &0x2030,-(%sp)'
ignored
/usr/tmp/cca07307.s:713:"Unknown operator" -- Statement 'mov.l 8(%fp),%a2' ignored

Thanks,

Greg Sorensen
sorensen@athena.mit.edu

coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu (John Coolidge) (11/11/90)

sorensen@athena.mit.edu (Alma G. Sorensen) writes:
>I've successfully gotten gcc 1.37.91 off of wuarchive, and eventually gotten
>it up and running. (Thanks, John Coolidge!!).

>I need g++; I've not been so successful with it.

>Unlike gcc, the binaries with g++ a[pparently don't need recompilation
>to get installed and working properly -- I thought.  But, I'm getting some
>rather nasty errors from g++ on my IIfx running A/UX 2.0.

>Has anyone else verified that g++ works well? In particular I'm trying to
>get InterViews up and running.

It does _not_ work well. When I released it, I mentioned that it
was very unlikely to work correctly, but I didn't have anything
better. The problem is that the version of g++ on wuarchive
wants to use Apple's as, while gcc wants to use gas. Gcc finds
the assembler by using gcc-as if exists, and otherwise calling
as, so gcc-as exists. Unfortunately, g++ uses exactly the same
algorithm --- thus the problem :-(.

I'm hoping to get a better g++ out in the next few days. I'm not
spending much time on compilers right now, but I do have a g++
that almost works, and it probably won't take that much time to
get it out...

--John

John L. Coolidge     Internet:coolidge@cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP:uiucdcs!coolidge
Of course I don't speak for the U of I (or anyone else except myself)
Copyright 1990 John L. Coolidge. Copying allowed if (and only if) attributed.
You may redistribute this article if and only if your recipients may as well.