[comp.unix.aux] SCSI tape drive

phillip@eesun0.ee.adfa.oz.au (Phillip Musumeci) (11/01/90)

We have a PCMS tape drive that we wish to use for backups on our A/UX
boxes. Internally, this unit is an exabyte 8200 drive.  The software
supplied with the tape drive can do backups of MacOS partitions but
not of an entire "raw" disk drive, which is what I'd like to do.

Assuming that it is best to do backups under a/ux ...
	The list of kernel modules includes SCSI devices (naturally).
However, our default devices only includes /dev/rmt/tcNNN for the
Apple tape cartridge.  Does anyone know what the major/minor numbers
would be for such a tape drive's /dev/rmtN entry? Or better still, can
anyone give me a "tried and true" list of instructions detailing how
to setup the A/UX o/s to use such a tape drive (I am an optimist).

Thank you, Phillip Musumeci.
AARnet/internet: phillip@adfa.oz.au

| AARnet/Internet:  phillip@adfa.oz.au        __  /\   |
| Dr. Phillip Musumeci, Image Coding Lab.,   /  \/  \  |
| Electrical  Engineering  Department,      /        \ |
| Uni. College UNSW, ADFA, Canberra 2600.  /         / |
| ++61 6 2688191(w) ++61 6 2688443(fax)    \   __  */ <<- Canberra
|   "Give me chastity and continency,       `-'  \_/   |
|    but not yet."  St. Augustine, 'Confessions'  .    |

davism@creatures.cs.vt.edu (Mat Davis) (11/02/90)

In article <PHILLIP.90Nov1233232@eesun0.ee.adfa.oz.au> phillip@eesun0.ee.adfa.oz.au (Phillip Musumeci) writes:
>	The list of kernel modules includes SCSI devices (naturally).
>However, our default devices only includes /dev/rmt/tcNNN for the
>Apple tape cartridge.  Does anyone know what the major/minor numbers
>would be for such a tape drive's /dev/rmtN entry? Or better still, can
>anyone give me a "tried and true" list of instructions detailing how
>to setup the A/UX o/s to use such a tape drive (I am an optimist).

On a related note, are there any A/UX drivers anywhere for tape drives *other*
than the Apple one?  In particular, I have a drive (only) which uses the
DC6150 tapes (don't know the drive model, sorry), and I'd really like to get
an external cabinet, power supply, and so on so that I could connect the
drive to my A/UX machine and use it, but I'm concerned about getting drivers
for it.

I'm aware of the Teac drivers that Tony Cooper wrote (but don't know where to
get them even if I needed them); has he (or anyone else) done similar ones for
the drive I have?

                      Mat Davis (davism@vtopus.cs.vt.edu)
                 Department of Computer Science, Virginia Tech

donn@radar.uucp (D Fishbein) (11/05/90)

phillip@eesun0.ee.adfa.oz.au (Phillip Musumeci) writes:

>We have a PCMS tape drive that we wish to use for backups on our A/UX...

...Does anyone know what the major/minor numbers
>would be for such a tape drive's /dev/rmtN entry? Or better still, can
>anyone give me a "tried and true" list of instructions detailing how
>to setup the A/UX o/s to use such a tape drive (I am an optimist).

It's a little more complicated than this. You need a driver written for the
specific device, which is then installed in the kernel. As an example, see
tony cooper's driver for the TEAC 155M cassette tape unit.
--
Donn Fishbein        ..!radar!donn

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (11/14/90)

I was waiting for someone else to answer this, but nobody had anything to say.

Anyway, MicroNet has working drivers for TEACs, Tandbergs, and WangTek DATs.

The problem is, "working" doesn't mean "releasable". Tar and cpio will fail
with any large job (trivial ones work). Dump and restore work, but I've seen
problems there too- restore not wanting to restore and suchlike.

With all the problems with tar and cpio discussed previously in this group,
I wouldn't be surprised if this was another area where A/UX just doesn't quite
cut it yet. But perhaps it's the drivers. The problem is, there's no way to
tell, since Apple has failed to provide us with a working tape of any sort.

The MicroNet drivers were written by Tony Cooper- they're direct descendants
of the ones he distributed a while ago.

FWB claims to have shipped drivers for the TEAC and WangTek (?) DAT as well.
I have no further information regarding this.

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis