[comp.unix.aux] Desktop Manager and A/UX 2.0

brian@fog.ann-arbor.mi.us (Brian S. Schang) (11/15/90)

Has anyone tried using the Desktop Manager with A/UX 2.0?  If so,
were the results favorable?

I would like to use the Desktop Manager, but since I rotate between
A/UX 2.0 and MacOS frequently, if the DM won't work under A/UX, it's
not all that useful.

Thanks in advance.
--
Brian S. Schang   N8FOG          brian@fog.ann-arbor.mi.us
46131 Academy Drive              schang@caen.engin.umich.edu

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (11/16/90)

In comp.unix.aux, article <1990Nov14.201445.1345@fog.ann-arbor.mi.us>,
  brian@fog.ann-arbor.mi.us (Brian S. Schang) writes:
< Has anyone tried using the Desktop Manager with A/UX 2.0?  If so,
< were the results favorable?
<
Mixed.

Yes, DTM works fine under A/UX. It is even included automatically, but only
for the "/" disk(s), and you'll have to load DTM a second time (by placing
the INIT into your System Folder) to use it for the MacOS side too.

The problem is that the Desktop Manager doesn't tolerate crashes very well.
It seems that the A/UX Startup program doesn't close the Desktop manager
files (there's a HFSDispatch selector for this), so you tend to lose some
icons and/or file type to application mappings.
(It also doesn't close the old-style desktop file, but that's usually not a
problem.)

I am using the Desktop Manager under A/UX. Your mileage may vary.

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330)   \o)/

brian@fog.ann-arbor.mi.us (Brian S. Schang) (11/16/90)

From article <vk[cg2.=u7@smurf.sub.org>, by urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs):
> The problem is that the Desktop Manager doesn't tolerate crashes very well.
> It seems that the A/UX Startup program doesn't close the Desktop manager
> files (there's a HFSDispatch selector for this), so you tend to lose some
> icons and/or file type to application mappings.

Does this happen only during crashes?  And if it does happen, can the
Desktop be rebuilt in the usual manner?

Thanks for the info!
--

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (11/16/90)

(Matthias Urlichs) writes:
>In comp.unix.aux, article <1990Nov14.201445.1345@fog.ann-arbor.mi.us>,
>  brian@fog.ann-arbor.mi.us (Brian S. Schang) writes:
>< Has anyone tried using the Desktop Manager with A/UX 2.0?  If so,
>< were the results favorable?
><
>Mixed.
>
>Yes, DTM works fine under A/UX. It is even included automatically, but only
>for the "/" disk(s), and you'll have to load DTM a second time (by placing
>the INIT into your System Folder) to use it for the MacOS side too.
>
>The problem is that the Desktop Manager doesn't tolerate crashes very well.
>It seems that the A/UX Startup program doesn't close the Desktop manager
>files (there's a HFSDispatch selector for this), so you tend to lose some
>icons and/or file type to application mappings.
>(It also doesn't close the old-style desktop file, but that's usually not a
>problem.)

I don't follow you. It doesn't close it? When you start A/UX? So what?
(Unless you've installed a new file w/bundle in that MacOS session, relatively
recently, I don't see what this would have to do with anything.)

>I am using the Desktop Manager under A/UX. Your mileage may vary.

I am not. But just because I don't use the MacOS stuff all that much when I'm
in A/UX, and when I do it's often touching only the Unix volume.

If my habits were different, I'd have no hesitation about doing it. One of
the ways you can make life a little easier if you _don't_ run DTM with A/UX
is to rebuild your desktop every other month _without_ DTM under MacOS. This
will create a fairly reasonable desktop for you under A/UX... Of course one
or two things may get lost between the cracks, but this is only marginally
annoying, not fatal.

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (11/17/90)

In comp.sys.mac.system, article <1990Nov16.052604.243@fog.ann-arbor.mi.us>,
  brian@fog.ann-arbor.mi.us (Brian S. Schang) writes:
< From article <vk[cg2.=u7@smurf.sub.org>, by urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs):
< > The problem is that the Desktop Manager doesn't tolerate crashes very well.
< > It seems that the A/UX Startup program doesn't close the Desktop manager
< > files (there's a HFSDispatch selector for this), so you tend to lose some
< > icons and/or file type to application mappings.
<
< Does this happen only during crashes?  And if it does happen, can the
< Desktop be rebuilt in the usual manner?
<
Every time you launch A/UX, it's a "controlled crash". Some things are not
closed and cleaned up -- for instance, other programs running when you start
Launch are not closed. The Desktop Manager's files are not properly closed
either, and are left in a potentially inconsistent state.

The Desktop can of course be rebuilt. You don't even need to increase the
FInder memory to do so. ;-) However, I'd advise against rebuilding the
desktop for the root volume, simply because it takes so long. Instead, you
should periodically store the four relevant files (.fs_* and Desk*) in a safe
place (while using the console emulator!), and restore them if/when the A/UX
toolbox crashes (also from the console).

NB: You might want to edit the "mac32" and "mac24" scripts in /mac/bin;
append a "screenrestore" at the end.
--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330)   \o)/

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (11/20/90)

In comp.unix.aux, article <1990Nov16.112917.18978@panix.uucp>,
  alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:
< (Matthias Urlichs) writes:
< >
< >The problem is that the Desktop Manager doesn't tolerate crashes very well.
< >It seems that the A/UX Startup program doesn't close the Desktop manager
< >files (there's a HFSDispatch selector for this), so you tend to lose some
< >icons and/or file type to application mappings.
< >(It also doesn't close the old-style desktop file, but that's usually not a
< >problem.)
<
< I don't follow you. It doesn't close it? When you start A/UX? So what?
< (Unless you've installed a new file w/bundle in that MacOS session, relatively
< recently, I don't see what this would have to do with anything.)
<
Or unless I move an application. Or add a comment to a file. Or open a folder
which has been copied to the disk without the Finder's participation.

And, when the Desktop Manager's files break, they (seem to) stay broken.