[comp.unix.aux] How Does Mail Work?

MATLEVAN@EKU (Jerry LeVan) (11/08/90)

Hello,

I have recently set up a uucp connection to my network
at school. The uucp file transfers work fine.

When I try to send mail, nothing happens, when I look
into /usr/spool/mqueue I find the letter and a companion
file, the companion file contains a message which is
a complaint that it can't find the host.

Does this mean that I have to "configure" sendmail
(shudder...moan...) for each "uucp" connection?
My SysV machines at work "know" immediately when I
add a new uucp host an I don't have to "do" anything
extra.

Assuming I have to deal with sendmail, does anybody
have a simple "tutorial" which shows how to solve
my problem. I found the README file in /usr/lib/sendmail.cf
referentially opaque.

UUnet sent me a flyer offering T2500's for about $895.00 and
lower end models for what looked like reasonable prices.
(Telebit Modems). Do the Telebits work well with A/UX? Will
my Practical Peripherals 2400 modem cable work with the Telebits?

Do the Telebits work well at 2400 baud. (The main campus modem
pool is 2400 and less.

I also have Paul Campbell's CommCard, is it more efficient
to use a "fast" modem with the ports card?

Thanks
...Jerry
| Jerry LeVan                           | Phone:(606)-622-1931              |
| Department of Computer Science        |                                   |
| Eastern Kentucky University           | Email:matlevan@eku.bitnet         |
| Richmond Ky 40475                     |                                   |
|      "The series converges so slowly that it actually diverges."          |

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (11/09/90)

MATLEVAN@EKU (Jerry LeVan) writes:
>When I try to send mail, nothing happens, when I look
>into /usr/spool/mqueue I find the letter and a companion
>file, the companion file contains a message which is
>a complaint that it can't find the host.
>
>Does this mean that I have to "configure" sendmail
>(shudder...moan...) for each "uucp" connection?

Not exactly. If you have frozen your sendmail file by saying
"/usr/lib/sendmail -bz", the compiled version will always be used, and
it will not know about new uucp hosts. So, since frozen sendmail.cfs are
a good idea, you need to refreeze the cf every time you add a host to your
/usr/lib/uucp/L.sys file.

Of course, if your sendmail.cf isn't right to begin with, nothing will help
you...

>My SysV machines at work "know" immediately when I
>add a new uucp host an I don't have to "do" anything
>extra.

Either they aren't freezing their cfs or they're not running sendmail.
Or, perhaps, they are using a smart host as a forwarder, and it's up-to-date
or not running sendmail or not freezing its fc.

>I found the README file in /usr/lib/sendmail.cf referentially opaque.

Join the rest of the planet.

>UUnet sent me a flyer offering T2500's for about $895.00 and
>lower end models for what looked like reasonable prices.
>(Telebit Modems). Do the Telebits work well with A/UX? Will
>my Practical Peripherals 2400 modem cable work with the Telebits?

That's not a bad price, but I think I've seen $800 or so. Don't know where.

So far, a telebit is the _only_ modem I've managed to make work with A/UX
consistently over long periods. I've been experimenting with several
different sorts of 2400bps modems for the last two weeks and they're
driving me up a wall!!! I'm beginning to suspect that there may be some
flaw in A/UX, although I'm at a loss to explain how. What I do know is that
I've seen strange behavior that should be impossible, which goes away when
I reboot. On the other hand, some behavior is more persistent (and annoying!).

I do know of several (reliable) people who say they've gotten 2400s working
with A/UX. I don't know if they have put their modems through a level of
testing as rigorous as my experiments (perhaps they have).

So I can't definitively assign blame anywhere. At this point the only
definite thing is that I haven't gotten enough sleep in over a week :-( .

As for the cable, it all depends on what you want to do. The right cable looks
like this:
Mac (din 8)		Modem (db25)
------------------------------------
1: HSKo			20: DTR	(Data Term Ready- Mac is willing to take calls)
2: HSKi			 8: DCD	(Carrier Detect- Modem has a call waiting)
3: TxD-			 2: TxD	(Transmit Data- negative half of balanced pair)
4: GND			 7: Sgnd (Signal ground)
5: RxD-			 3: RxD (Receive Data- negative half of balanced pair)
6: TxD+			--n/c--
7: GPi (or n/c)		--n/c--
8: RxD+			 7: Sgnd (alternatively, tie RxD+ to 4 on the Din-8)

The explanations for DTR/DCD are fuzzy but useful, when the modem is set up
for incoming calls. It that case, the modem line must be in "modem" mode.
If you want to dial out with A/UX, you'll have to do a "stty -n /dev/ttyxx
 -modem", but I think telecom is that last thing on earth I'd want to do with
A/UX. Use a Mac app instead- I think all the standard ones work fine with
A/UX.

For dialout only, I think you could get by without HSKo and HSKi.

>Do the Telebits work well at 2400 baud. (The main campus modem
>pool is 2400 and less.

They have no problem, and speak MNP up to 5 (older ones up to 4, I think).
I have notiecd however that, when I call a 2400bps modem on an A/UX box,
from my MacOS Mac with a Telebit TB+, it doesn't quite manage to sync with
the other modem right away. I have to hit dozens of breaks and returns to
get in sync. Once this happens, though, it performs perfectly. It's also not
true of several other 2400bps modems on other systems (such as two modem
pools I occasionally call).

>I also have Paul Campbell's CommCard, is it more efficient
>to use a "fast" modem with the ports card?

Very much so. Especially if you're doing uucp transfers. Without this card,
a Telebit would bring your Mac to it's knees in short order. (Why doesn't
Apple mention 'knees' on their list of things that come with the Mac? They
see a lot of abuse... :-)

Don't forget to do "/etc/t_modem /dev/ttyxx uucp" (or something like that-
check the mac page) in order to enable the special uucp mode on this card,
for each port that handles uucp. It doesn't interfere with regular serial
i/o.

Now it's my turn to cry for help. If anyone can tell me what's wrong with
my modems, I'll be very grateful. Help!!!

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) (11/10/90)

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:

>So far, a telebit is the _only_ modem I've managed to make work with A/UX
>consistently over long periods. I've been experimenting with several
>different sorts of 2400bps modems for the last two weeks and they're
>driving me up a wall!!! I'm beginning to suspect that there may be some
>flaw in A/UX, although I'm at a loss to explain how. What I do know is that
>I've seen strange behavior that should be impossible, which goes away when
>I reboot. On the other hand, some behavior is more persistent (and annoying!).

  What sort of behavior are you seeing?  I'm sort of curious.  For several
months I started out using a rather mutant 2400bps modem (Concord Data
Systems, if you must know--not even making any pretense at being Hayes
compat) and had no problems using it, though I was at the time only using
it for dial-out.  After the 2400bps modem died due to lightning (they put the
Nat'l Severe Storms Lab in Norman, OK for very good reasons :-), I used a
1200bps generic Hayes-clone modem (the "Smart Duck" they used to sell in the
DAK catalogs, for those of you who remember those) for a while until I scraped
together the cash for a T1000.  Again, no problems with dialout.  I now
use a T1000 for dialin and dialout with no problems.

>If you want to dial out with A/UX, you'll have to do a "stty -n /dev/ttyxx
> -modem", but I think telecom is that last thing on earth I'd want to do with
>A/UX. Use a Mac app instead- I think all the standard ones work fine with
>A/UX.

  Well, I don't know what the "standard" Mac apps for telecom are, but I
tried Zterm and it failed miserably--claimed all serial ports were busy.
Me, my favorite telecom program was always ProComm for the PC, so I get
along well with Emmet Gray's Pcomm program (ProComm clone for Unix).  Let
me know if a) you want the config files, etc. for compiling under A/UX or
b) you know where I can track down more recent patches for Pcomm than
patchlevel 4...

>>Do the Telebits work well at 2400 baud. (The main campus modem
>>pool is 2400 and less.

>They have no problem, and speak MNP up to 5 (older ones up to 4, I think).

I've never had any problem using the T1000 to call 2400bps modems either.
I think the T1000 only goes up to MNP4; at least my (1-year-old) one does.

>Now it's my turn to cry for help. If anyone can tell me what's wrong with
>my modems, I'll be very grateful. Help!!!

  Tell us more about your setup (config files, gettytab/inittab settings),
and I'm sure the Usenet readership will be glad to offer opinions.  Some of
them may even be correct :-).
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd@servalan.uucp

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (11/12/90)

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) writes:
>alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>>So far, a telebit is the _only_ modem I've managed to make work with A/UX
>>consistently over long periods. I've been experimenting with several
>>different sorts of 2400bps modems for the last two weeks and they're
>>driving me up a wall!!! I'm beginning to suspect that there may be some
>>flaw in A/UX, although I'm at a loss to explain how. What I do know is that
>>I've seen strange behavior that should be impossible, which goes away when
>>I reboot. On the other hand, some behavior is more persistent (and annoying!).
>
>  What sort of behavior are you seeing?  I'm sort of curious.
> [used 1200 and 2400 bps modems for dialout, no problems, uses T1000 for
>  both dial-in and dial-out, no problems]

Well, I described it thoroughly in a posting on October 29, and got no except
from a PC user who tried to help by suggesting I had two ports using the same
I/O address. This is, however, a PC-specific problem...

However, I've learned more since then. Here's the situation now:
All four modems work upon bootup, for both dial-in and dial-out. At some point
thereafter, any or all of them may fail in one of two ways:
1) Won't answer phone. This is because the Mac is no longer asserting DTR,
   even though a getty is running on the port and stty reports that "modem"
   is set for this port.
2) Modem answers phone, but getty doesn't complete the open and call login.
   No signon message is printed. This is because the Mac is not recognizing
   DCD as having been asserted by the modem.

What we don't know yet:
1) There could be a 2.0-related bug in the serial drivers (remember, these
   modems are hooked up to a CommCard). So we've attached one modem to a
   built-in port. We'll see what happens to that one over the next few days.
2) There could be a hardware fault in the card. So we've attached another
   one of the modems to the other CommCard. Again, we'll see...

>>If you want to dial out with A/UX, you'll have to do a "stty -n /dev/ttyxx
>> -modem", but I think telecom is that last thing on earth I'd want to do with
>>A/UX. Use a Mac app instead- I think all the standard ones work fine with
>>A/UX.
>
>  Well, I don't know what the "standard" Mac apps for telecom are, but I
>tried Zterm and it failed miserably--claimed all serial ports were busy. [...]

Zterm works fine. you must be doing something funny. Likewise MicroPhone.
They have worked since early betas.

---

donn@radar.uucp (D Fishbein) (11/20/90)

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) writes:

>>  Well, I don't know what the "standard" Mac apps for telecom are, but I
>>tried Zterm and it failed miserably--claimed all serial ports were busy. [...]

>Zterm works fine. you must be doing something funny. Likewise MicroPhone.
>They have worked since early betas.

I have noticed that Microphone II will fail with the above message if a getty is
running on the port that Microphone II is trying to open. Killing the getty solves the
problem.
--
Donn Fishbein        ..!radar!donn