[comp.unix.aux] AUX problems and documentation

allen@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Scott R. Allen) (11/22/90)

Hello -

I am a new user to AUX and have some general questions that
someone might answer -- I will be extremely grateful for any
help.

First of all, there is some discussion with the people that I work
with concerning the subject of running Macintosh applications under
AUX.  They said that AUX supports Mac software written for MAC/OS.
Is this so?

If you can run MAC/OS intended software under AUX does that mean that
the software will use disk storage in the MAC/OS partition of the
disk or in the AUX partition of the disk?

If the MAC/OS software running under AUX using the AUX partition of
the disk, is it smart enough to respect the unix file/directory
permissions that are in place?

We are using AUX 2.0 with MAC X and we are 'lauching' windows to
run the mac software in.  ('lauching' is greek to me.)  We have the
system admin. documentation and programmers documentation on order
but haven't received it.  (has anyone else??)

thanks

Scott Allen

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) (11/22/90)

allen@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Scott R. Allen) writes:

>First of all, there is some discussion with the people that I work
>with concerning the subject of running Macintosh applications under
>AUX.  They said that AUX supports Mac software written for MAC/OS.
>Is this so?

  It supports most MacOS software.  Programs that directly diddle the hardware
(e.g. your fancy SCSI utilities and the like) won't work.

>If you can run MAC/OS intended software under AUX does that mean that
>the software will use disk storage in the MAC/OS partition of the
>disk or in the AUX partition of the disk?
   Yes, to both.  The A/UX filesystem appears as a MacOS drive to the MacOS
programs (just click on the "Drive" button on the file dialogs and you'll
see the "/" disk drive).

>If the MAC/OS software running under AUX using the AUX partition of
>the disk, is it smart enough to respect the unix file/directory
>permissions that are in place?

Yep.  (Doing a "chmod 444 System" is a wonderful way to get rid of the
Creeping System Corruption disorder MacOS seems to be inordinately fond of...)

>We are using AUX 2.0 with MAC X and we are 'lauching' windows to
>run the mac software in.  ('lauching' is greek to me.)  We have the
  Well, it helps if you spell "launching" right. :-).  "Launching" is the
term Apple uses for starting up a MacOS program.  Don't ask me why they don't
just call it "starting up a MacOS program"...
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd@servalan.uucp