[comp.unix.aux] Need help on mounting harddisks under AU/X v. 2.0!!!

nevai@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Paul Nevai) (11/24/90)

I just got my Mac IIfx with AU/X v 2.0. But...

Is it possible to mount a regular Mac (CMS 300) drive with Mac files on it
under AU/X v. 2.0 without repartitioning it etc.? I want it to come up on
the desktop and not as a mounted file system. Just like the main hard
drive's Mac partition. Any advice will be appreciated!

I also have a syquest drive (PLI). Is it possible to mount it either as an
AU/X file system or as a regular hard disk on the desktop? Please advise
me! I tried Silverlining but looks like I also need the diskgeometry or
whatever.

Please respond by email! Thanks a $10^6$! Paul

Paul Nevai                            nevai@mps.ohio-state.edu (Internet)
Department of Mathematics             nevai@ohstpy (BITNET)
The Ohio State University             1-(614)-292-3317 (Office)
P.O. Box 3341                         1-(614)-292-5310 (Answering Machine)
Columbus, Ohio 43210-0341, USA        1-(614)-459-5615 (FAX)

sramtrc@windy.dsir.govt.nz (11/26/90)

In article <1990Nov23.184421.12704@zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu>, nevai@function.mps.ohio-state.edu (Paul Nevai) writes:

> Is it possible to mount a regular Mac (CMS 300) drive with Mac files on it
> under AU/X v. 2.0 without repartitioning it etc.? I want it to come up on

Yes - as long as the CMS 300 works with the A/UX generic SCSI disk driver (and
I think it does). Only one MacOS partition will appear on the desktop even if
you have more. If the CMS formatting software does not create a "correct"
partition map then it won't work. But Silverlining will do it correctly.

> I also have a syquest drive (PLI). Is it possible to mount it either as an
> AU/X file system or as a regular hard disk on the desktop? Please advise

A/UX filesystems are "regular" as well, you know. What you really mean is
"A/UX filesystem or as a MacOS filesystem. The answer is yes. Use Silverlining
on the Syquest.

> I tried Silverlining but looks like I also need the diskgeometry or
> whatever.

I don't have Silverlining but I have been told that it works. You must have
tried it during the wrong phase of the moon. Without a more specific answer
I can't help.

Cheers
Tony Cooper
sramtrc@albert.dsir.govt.nz