[comp.unix.aux] Screensavers under A/UX 2

laukee@canon.co.uk (David Lau-Kee) (11/23/90)

We used to use Pyro and / or the Radiusware screen savers under MacOS, but it
seems that neither work under A/UX 2.0.

* can they be made to work? How?
* what screensaver do others use? [ I'd prefer something which monitors user
inactivity rather than just checking utmp, but either will do at a pinch ]
* is there something similar to Sun's FBIOSVIDEO, FBVIDEO_OFF / ON which I can
use to switch the video on and off?  How do I use it? [ TFM don't seem to be
shipping over here].

David

rprohask@orion.oac.uci.edu (Robert Prohaska) (11/24/90)

In article <1990Nov23.132226.20538@canon.co.uk> laukee@canon.co.uk writes:

>* what screensaver do others use? [ I'd prefer something which monitors user

I've found that the current release of Moire in sumex works fine in either
the global or private system folders.

I tried loading it into the login system folder. It flashes its icon when the
login screen is coming up, but it DOES NOT work (nor seem to cause any trouble)
once the login screen comes on.

I even tried adding a control panel to the login system folder, in hopes Icould
turn moire on, but no luck, I can't get a control panel.

I'd love to find a way to get moire working in the login screen.

Any suggestions?

bob prohaska

mst@mx.csun.edu (Michael Temkin) (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov23.132226.20538@canon.co.uk> laukee@canon.co.uk writes:
>We used to use Pyro and / or the Radiusware screen savers under MacOS, but it
>seems that neither work under A/UX 2.0.
>
>* can they be made to work? How?
>* what screensaver do others use? [ I'd prefer something which monitors user
>inactivity rather than just checking utmp, but either will do at a pinch ]
>* is there something similar to Sun's FBIOSVIDEO, FBVIDEO_OFF / ON which I can
>use to switch the video on and off?  How do I use it? [ TFM don't seem to be
>shipping over here].
>
>David

I am using After Dark with no problems.  Well almost no problems.  The only
problem I have is if I put it in the system folder for the "Login" screen.
(You know, the one it would be most helpful to have it on...)  Anyway, it
won't let you login, even with a consloe window.  After Dark does not seem
to want to die when the login takes affect and keeps the login from completing.

Any suggestions???

Mike.
--
Mike Temkin
mst@csun.edu

wj4@prism.gatech.EDU (JOYE,WILLIAM A) (11/27/90)

A note about After Dark as a screen saver under AUX 2.0---

After Dark seems to not see key events. Therefor, if you are typeing
away in your CommandShell, After Dark will kick in right in the middle
of your work. For this reason alone, I removed After Dark. Otherwise,
it was wonderful...

Bill Joye
--
JOYE,WILLIAM A
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!wj4