[comp.unix.aux] 2nd problem compiling perl on AUX2.0

pete@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) (12/05/90)

First I'd like to thank everyone for their response to my first
question.  The best answer was the -B option on the C compiler.

For some reason at link time I get the following error:

        cc  -s array.o cmd.o cons.o consarg.o doarg.o doio.o dolist.o dump.o eva
l.o form.o hash.o  perly.o regcomp.o regexec.o stab.o str.o toke.o util.o perl.o
 usersub.o -ldbm -lm -lbsd -lc_s  -o perl
undefined               first referenced
 symbol                     in file
rewinddir                       doio.o
ld fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to perl

I understand that rewinddir is a macro in dir.h and perl doio.c seems to
be including it.  Is there a library I'm not using as well?

--
     Peter Schmitt					  UNIX Consultant
Kiewit Computation Center				   User Services

domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) (12/06/90)

In article <26669@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> pete@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Pete Schmitt) writes:
> undefined               first referenced
>  symbol                     in file
> rewinddir                       doio.o
> ld fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to perl
>
> I understand that rewinddir is a macro in dir.h and perl doio.c seems to
> be including it.  Is there a library I'm not using as well?

Right.  For some reason, despite the fact that it's a BSD invention, Apple
put that function (and it IS a function) in /usr/lib/libposix.a.
You need -lposix.
--
Dominic Dunlop