[comp.unix.aux] System Crashes, maybe EtherPort card

qfhca81@memqa.uucp (Henry Melton) (12/11/90)

I have had four system crashes today.  Real crashes where the screen goes
spotty and screams Double Panic.  This has been building up for some time now,
but today was by far the worst.  The diagnostics printed on the screen always
say Trap Type 4.  The offending applications have been 'in.routed', 'sendmail'
(twice) and 'XmacII'.  In all cases, things were happening on the network, but
the actual cpu or memory loading on the system weren't overly heavy.

Additional information:
AUX 2.0
Mac IIfx
the old Kinetics Etherport card running the AUX 1.1 driver.
8mb RAM.

I suspect the old ethernet card driver.  Has anyone else had similar
problems?  Are there any tuning changes I can make to test this theory?
If all else fails, what is the best ethernet card to replace mine with?

--
Henry Melton  qfhca81@memrqa.sps.mot.com
{slow}  qfhca81@memqa   ..!cs.utexas.edu!execu!sequoia!memqa!qfhca81

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) (12/12/90)

In <13145@memqa.uucp> qfhca81@memqa.uucp (Henry Melton) writes:

>The diagnostics printed on the screen always
>say Trap Type 4.  The offending applications have been 'in.routed', 'sendmail'
>(twice) and 'XmacII'.
>Additional information:
>AUX 2.0
>Mac IIfx
>the old Kinetics Etherport card running the AUX 1.1 driver.
>8mb RAM.

>I suspect the old ethernet card driver.  Has anyone else had similar
>problems?  Are there any tuning changes I can make to test this theory?

We run Mac IIs with the old EtherPort card, A/UX 2.0 and 5 meg of memory, and
we never see this (or any other) problem with the cards. It is conceivable
that the switch to a 68030 with its MMU is causing problems, or even that the
NuBus timing of the EtherPort card is sufficiently out of spec to cause
problems with the IIfx. I feel that "Trap Type 4" is going to be significant -
are these things documented or could someone at Apple enlighten us all? I
don't know of any tuning things you can do.

>If all else fails, what is the best ethernet card to replace mine with?

A recent message on this group says "Apple Ethernet Card" and that you should
get one which has the larger on-board memory (revision L, I believe).
Doubtless Dayna Systems, who took over the new Kinetics EtherPort card, would
also recommend their product. I think that Dove do an Ethernet card as well.
--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP