[comp.unix.aux] Problems with X11 colors

bombach@caen.engin.umich.edu (Paul Matthew Bombach) (12/10/90)

The X11 user's guide says that putting the following line:

	X -screen 0 -depth 8 &

in a .X11 file in the home directory will start X11 with color.  My problem is
that it does not seem to work.  In other words, I am stuck with black and white.
Does anyone know how I could fix this?  By the way, my screen is at zero and
will support a depth of 8.

Paul Bombach

pnm@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au (Paul Menon) (12/10/90)

bombach@caen.engin.umich.edu (Paul Matthew Bombach) writes:

>The X11 user's guide says that putting the following line:

>	X -screen 0 -depth 8 &

>in a .X11 file in the home directory will start X11 with color.  My problem is
>that it does not seem to work.  In other words, I am stuck with black and white.
>Does anyone know how I could fix this?  By the way, my screen is at zero and
>will support a depth of 8.

You too huh?  Try the other method they suggest - ie coming up with a console
session, and then type in...
	X -screen 0 -depth 8
Warning: I think the whole thing hiccups if you put it in background, so avoid
the "&".  Good luck.

Any comment from our extremely supportive A/UX folk as to why the first
method doesn't work?

    Paul Menon,
    Dept of Computer Science,
    Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology,
    124 Latrobe Street,
    Melbourne 3001,
    Victoria, Australia.

pnm@goanna.cs.rmit.oz.au
PH:	+61 3 660 3209

qfhca81@memqa.uucp (Henry Melton) (12/10/90)

In article <1990Dec9.191317.26237@engin.umich.edu>, bombach@caen.engin.umich.edu (Paul Matthew Bombach) writes:
> The X11 user's guide says that putting the following line:
>
> 	X -screen 0 -depth 8 &
>
> in a .X11 file in the home directory will start X11 with color.  My problem is
> that it does not seem to work.  In other words, I am stuck with black and white.
> Does anyone know how I could fix this?  By the way, my screen is at zero and
> will support a depth of 8.
>
> Paul Bombach

Make sure the executable permissions are turned on.  Mine works as advertised.

--
Henry Melton  qfhca81@memrqa.sps.mot.com
{slow}  qfhca81@memqa   ..!cs.utexas.edu!execu!sequoia!memqa!qfhca81

tdeeves@convex1.tcs.tulane.edu (Tim Deeves) (12/10/90)

In article <1990Dec9.191317.26237@engin.umich.edu> bombach@caen.engin.umich.edu (Paul Matthew Bombach) writes:
>The X11 user's guide says that putting the following line:
>
>	X -screen 0 -depth 8 &
>
>in a .X11 file in the home directory will start X11 with color.  My problem is
>that it does not seem to work.  In other words, I am stuck with black and white.
>Does anyone know how I could fix this?  By the way, my screen is at zero and
>will support a depth of 8.

One thing you might check... be sure that the .X11 file has the execute
bit set.

Tim Deeves
Computing Services
Tulane University, New Orleans, LA

dmac@athena.mit.edu (David S. McCormick) (12/10/90)

In article <1990Dec9.191317.26237@engin.umich.edu>
bombach@caen.engin.umich.edu (Paul Matthew Bombach) writes:
>The X11 user's guide says that putting the following line:
>
>       X -screen 0 -depth 8 &
>
>in a .X11 file in the home directory will start X11 with color.  My
problem is
>that it does not seem to work.  In other words, I am stuck with black and
white.
>Does anyone know how I could fix this?  By the way, my screen is at zero
and
>will support a depth of 8.

I had this problem. The remedy IS indeed to set the execute bit with chmod:

in your .X11 file:
X -screen 0 -depth 8

(I didn't seem to need to use the ambersand (&) )

chmod to allow you to execute (-rwx------)

Best-o-luck,

David S. McCormick
MIT-EAPS Geology
dmac@athena.mit.edu

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) (12/11/90)

In <1990Dec10.153824.11910@athena.mit.edu> dmac@athena.mit.edu (David S.
McCormick) writes:

>In article <1990Dec9.191317.26237@engin.umich.edu>
>bombach@caen.engin.umich.edu (Paul Matthew Bombach) writes:
>>The X11 user's guide says that putting the following line:
>>
>>       X -screen 0 -depth 8 &
>>
>>in a .X11 file in the home directory will start X11 with color.  My problem
is
>>that it does not seem to work.  In other words, I am stuck with black and
white.
>>Does anyone know how I could fix this?  By the way, my screen is at zero and
>>will support a depth of 8.

>I had this problem. The remedy IS indeed to set the execute bit with chmod:
>in your .X11 file:
>X -screen 0 -depth 8

The other alternative (if you are using the X11 session type, which you must
be for .X11 to work) is to change /usr/bin/X11/startx so that the line

    serverargs=""

changes to

    serverargs="-screen 0 -depth 8 "

This is harmless on machines which don't support depth 8, and gives you all of
the other things that startx does (but plain old X doesn't). I tell people
that they should use the .X11 or .mac32 overrides to add functionality rather
than completely override the default file.
--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP

athena@alessia.dei.unipd.it (Matteo Frigo) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec9.191317.26237@engin.umich.edu> bombach@caen.engin.umich.edu (Paul Matthew Bombach) writes:
>The X11 user's guide says that putting the following line:
>
>	X -screen 0 -depth 8 &
>
>in a .X11 file in the home directory will start X11 with color.  My problem is
>that it does not seem to work.  In other words, I am stuck with black and white.
>Does anyone know how I could fix this?  By the way, my screen is at zero and
>will support a depth of 8.

Try to chmod a+x your .X11 . This is not written
in the manual but works !

Matteo Frigo
athena@alessia.dei.unipd.it.

jordan@Morgan.COM (Jordan Hayes) (12/15/90)

Here's what I do (which is also what I do for my Sun, etc).

Have a file called ~/.xinitrc that looks something like

#!/bin/csh
xrdb < .Xdef
( twm &)
xterm -C

then say "xinit" ... on the Mac, you say

	% xinit -- -screen 0 -depth 8

/jordan