[comp.unix.aux] 24bit vs 32bit

qfhca81@memqa.uucp (Henry Melton) (12/18/90)

How does AUX tell if an application is 32 bit clean?  If I attempt to launch
many applications, I get a crash warning because the app is not 32 bit clean.
However, many of these applications will run fine.  How may I disable this
warning for an application that I have tested and found to be safe?

--
Henry Melton  qfhca81@memrqa.sps.mot.com
{slow}  qfhca81@memqa   ..!cs.utexas.edu!execu!sequoia!memqa!qfhca81

mgchow@Apple.COM (Mike Chow) (12/19/90)

In article <13909@memqa.uucp> qfhca81@memqa.uucp (Henry Melton) writes:
>How does AUX tell if an application is 32 bit clean?  If I attempt to launch
>many applications, I get a crash warning because the app is not 32 bit clean.
>However, many of these applications will run fine.  How may I disable this
>warning for an application that I have tested and found to be safe?
>
>--
>Henry Melton  qfhca81@memrqa.sps.mot.com
>{slow}  qfhca81@memqa   ..!cs.utexas.edu!execu!sequoia!memqa!qfhca81
>{home}  henry@hutto     ..!emx.utexas.edu!hutto!henry

Through the latest "state of the art" in Artificial Intelligence technology :-)

The warning dialog is displayed when the application does not have the
"32BitCompatible" flag set in it's SIZE resource.  To disable this warning,
use ResEdit to set this flag, or use the A/UX command /mac/bin/changesize.

Mike Chow
mgchow@apple.com

anders@verity.com (Anders Wallgren) (12/19/90)

There is a resource in the application (the 'SIZE' resource) which
contains a bit which is set if the application considers itself 32-bit
clean.

anders

gentner@Apple.COM (Don Gentner) (12/20/90)

In article <47486@apple.Apple.COM> mgchow@Apple.COM (Mike Chow) writes:
>In article <13909@memqa.uucp> qfhca81@memqa.uucp (Henry Melton) writes:
>>How does AUX tell if an application is 32 bit clean?  If I attempt to launch
>>many applications, I get a crash warning because the app is not 32 bit clean.
>>However, many of these applications will run fine.  How may I disable this
>>warning for an application that I have tested and found to be safe?

In case Mike Chow's message was not competely obvious, the A/UX command
would be:
	/mac/bin/changesize +32BitCompatible <filename>
where "<filename>" is the name of the application you want to fix.
                        Don
Don Gentner			email: gentner@apple.com
Apple Computer			telephone: 408 974-5198
10440 Bubb Rd, MS: 58A		fax: 408 974-0892
Cupertino, CA 95014		AppleLink: GENTNER