[comp.unix.aux] Sharp JX-300 scanner problems

anthony@cs.adelaide.edu.au (Anthony Dunstan) (12/16/90)

We are having problems with the Sharp JX-300 scanner under A/UX 2.0,
the provided drivers work but don't do anything.
They work fine under MacOS.
This is with a MacIIfx and a RaterOps 2 page.
If you can help please mail to me directly.

Thanks,
  Anthony.
|   Anthony Dunstan         University of Adelaide Apple Consortium     |
| A Macintosh CyberMan           anthony@cs.adelaide.edu.au             |

demarsee@thunderbolt.cns.syr.EDU (Darryl E. Marsee) (12/18/90)

>   We are having problems with the Sharp JX-300 scanner under A/UX 2.0,
>   the provided drivers work but don't do anything.
>   They work fine under MacOS.
>   This is with a MacIIfx and a RaterOps 2 page.
>   If you can help please mail to me directly.

On a related note, is there support within A/UX for the Apple Scanner?
Or, if not, how does one go about getting the Apple Scanner to work with
A/UX?

Regards,                    | No matter how bad life gets, you can rest assured
----------------------------| it can indeed get much worse, and often does.
Darryl Marsee               |--------------------------------------------------
Syracuse University         | Women and cats do as they damn well please, and
demarsee@gamera.cns.syr.edu | men and dogs just might as well get used to it.

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (12/19/90)

In comp.unix.aux, article <DEMARSEE.90Dec17161704@thunderbolt.cns.syr.EDU>,
  demarsee@thunderbolt.cns.syr.EDU (Darryl E. Marsee) writes:
<
< On a related note, is there support within A/UX for the Apple Scanner?
< Or, if not, how does one go about getting the Apple Scanner to work with
< A/UX?
<
You'll need the MacOS SCSI Manager under A/UX.

I am in the process of implementing one; however, there's a problem with the
A/UX SCSI subsystem. If the nice guys at Apple Europe had not copied the
(double-sided) disks of the 2.0 device driver development kit single-sided
(very ingenious! -- I don't know how anyone could manage to do that), it
would probably already be available via FTP from somewhere.

--
Matthias Urlichs -- urlichs@smurf.sub.org -- urlichs@smurf.ira.uka.de     /(o\
Humboldtstrasse 7 - 7500 Karlsruhe 1 - FRG -- +49+721+621127(0700-2330)   \o)/

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) (12/21/90)

In <2174@sirius.ucs.adelaide.edu.au> anthony@cs.adelaide.edu.au (Anthony
Dunstan) writes:

>We are having problems with the Sharp JX-300 scanner under A/UX 2.0,
>the provided drivers work but don't do anything.

If that's your definition of "working" then I've a number of software packages
I could sell you... :-)

There is no SCSI Manager support in A/UX 2.0, so nothing that tries to drive
its own SCSI devices using a Mac driver is going to work at all: this gets rid
of all scanners, the SCSI-connected laserwriters, everything.

Check the "A/UX Toolbox: Macintosh ROM Interface" section of the printed
manual, particularly the subsection called "Inside A/UX Macintosh".

If anyone from Apple is listening: please can you put the summary part of the
above-named section as an *online* manual page?
--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP

urlichs@smurf.sub.org (Matthias Urlichs) (01/01/91)

< Dunstan) writes:
<
< >We are having problems with the Sharp JX-300 scanner under A/UX 2.0,
< >the provided drivers work but don't do anything.
<
<There is no SCSI Manager support in A/UX 2.0, so nothing that tries to drive
<its own SCSI devices using a Mac driver is going to work at all: this gets rid
<of all scanners, the SCSI-connected laserwriters, everything.
<
There isn't _yet_.

I'm currently working on one. The problem is that the A/UX SCSI handling is
sufficiently different (read: the MacOS SCSI manager does not correspond to
real-world SCSI very well) as to give everyone a big headache.

No, I don't know when it'll be ready. If somebody wants to help with testing,
send me some mail. (Having the 2.0 device driver development kit is a must
as there are some differences which require changes in the SCSI error
handling.)