[comp.unix.aux] Ethernet Crashes AUX

adams@swbatl.sbc.com (Tom Adams - 235-7459) (01/05/91)

I have a Mac IIfx, with AUX 2.0.  All seems well, *until* I
connect to the Ethernet with AUX running.  The Ethernet card
(A Kinetics Etherport ) works fine with Mac OS, but as soon
as AUX launches I get the message:

panic: viaclrius called from non-interrupt
double panic: viaclrius called from non-interrupt

and the system is dead, dead, dead.  If I boot AUX and then
connect the Ethernet I get the same message, a weird screen pattern
and again, a dead system.  Anybody have any ideas?
--
uunet!swbatl!adams or adams@swbatl.sbc.com
Tom Adams: 314-235-7459: Southwestern Bell Telephone Advanced Technology Lab

lengge@chx400.switch.ch (Thomas Lenggenhager) (01/07/91)

In article <1991Jan4.235808.10194@swbatl.sbc.com> adams@swbatl.UUCP (Tom Adams - 235-7459) writes:
>I have a Mac IIfx, with AUX 2.0.  All seems well, *until* I
>connect to the Ethernet with AUX running.  The Ethernet card
>(A Kinetics Etherport ) works fine with Mac OS, but as soon
>as AUX launches I get the message:
>
>panic: viaclrius called from non-interrupt
>double panic: viaclrius called from non-interrupt
>
>and the system is dead, dead, dead.  If I boot AUX and then
>connect the Ethernet I get the same message, a weird screen pattern
>and again, a dead system.  Anybody have any ideas?
>--
>uunet!swbatl!adams or adams@swbatl.sbc.com
>Tom Adams: 314-235-7459: Southwestern Bell Telephone Advanced Technology Lab
>BOOKS WANTED: pre-1930 radio, electrical & scientific topics

Nearly the same happend to me with a Cayman GatorCard II. I am not able to
use the Ethernet Card for AppleTalk connections yet. I can only use the
TCP/IP over it and run AppleTalk through LocalTalk.

I informed Cayman about that problem and they are working on it and
hopefully turn up soon with a solution.

If you are interested to play around and try to find a solution for your
situation have a look at the file named elap which is in /etc/config.?. (I
don't know exact pathname by heart - I am at home and there I don't have
A/UX available...)

Hopefully Apple turns up with an interface which will be easier to support
by third party products under A/UX as well.

     Thomas Lenggenhager, SWITCH, ETH-Zentrum, CH-8092 Zurich, Switzerland
          INET: lenggenhager@switch.ch       | Tel: +41-1-261 8178
          UUCP: ..!mcsun!chx400!lenggenhager | Fax: +41-1-261 8133

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) (01/08/91)

Adams - 235-7459) writes:
>>I have a Mac IIfx, with AUX 2.0.  All seems well, *until* I
>>connect to the Ethernet with AUX running.  The Ethernet card
>>(A Kinetics Etherport ) works fine with Mac OS, but as soon
>>as AUX launches I get the message:
>>
>>panic: viaclrius called from non-interrupt
>>double panic: viaclrius called from non-interrupt
>>
>>and the system is dead, dead, dead.  If I boot AUX and then
>>connect the Ethernet I get the same message, a weird screen pattern
>>and again, a dead system.  Anybody have any ideas?

Your problem is almost certainly that the MacOS driver for the card does not
disable it when A/UX is booted, and your A/UX system is hit by interrupts it
cannot handle. Use the Chooser under MacOS to select network "Built-in" and
try again. Once you have a correctly configured A/UX kernel including a driver
for your card then you *might* get away with re-enabling the board for use
under MacOS.

> ...Hopefully Apple turns up with an interface which will be easier to support
>by third party products under A/UX as well.

The intended interface was probably known to Kinetics but since Apple didn't
yet use it, Kinetics didn't ship it. Kinetics was swallowed up by Novell, the
rights to the boards were sold elsewhere (Dayna Systems?) and generally all
support for existing boards vanished. The only thing where Apple is at fault
is that nobody seemed to know that A/UX needs to have the boards physically
disabled until the A/UX drivers are ready to go. I did get Mac DTS to agree
that this is a suitable subject for a TechNote and one should eventually
appear.
--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP

In <2812@redstar.cs.qmw.ac.uk> liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) writes:

>Your problem is almost certainly that the MacOS driver for the card does not
>disable it when A/UX is booted, and your A/UX system is hit by interrupts it
>cannot handle.

For the record, this is also true if you weren't aware that A/UX drivers were
a) necessary, and b) totally and utterly different from MacOS drivers.
--

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) (01/10/91)

In article <2814@redstar.cs.qmw.ac.uk> liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) writes:
>In <2812@redstar.cs.qmw.ac.uk> liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) writes:
>
>>Your problem is almost certainly that the MacOS driver for the card does not
>>disable it when A/UX is booted, and your A/UX system is hit by interrupts it
>>cannot handle.

>For the record, this is also true if you weren't aware that A/UX drivers were
>a) necessary, and b) totally and utterly different from MacOS drivers.

True, most of the MacOS drivers won't work, they want to peek and poke into
hardware memory space, which the A/UX kernel guards jealously.

Regards,
Kent Sandvik

--
Kent Sandvik, Apple Computer Inc, Developer Technical Support
NET:ksand@apple.com, AppleLink: KSAND  DISCLAIMER: Private mumbo-jumbo