[comp.unix.aux] less vs man under a/ux

wfp@panix.uucp (Bill Phillips) (01/09/91)

I've been trying to get less working on this system, which runs a/ux, and
it seems to work just fine with one exception:  when designated as PAGER,
and called from man, less displays escape sequences as "^[<whatever>",
so you end up with a lot of garbage on the screen, and no highlighting,
underlining or whatever.  I've installed less on several systems and
have never seen this bizarre behavior before.

Help!

Thanks,
bill

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) (01/10/91)

In <1991Jan9.083632.11854@panix.uucp> wfp@panix.uucp (Bill Phillips) writes:

>I've been trying to get less working on this system, which runs a/ux, and
>it seems to work just fine with one exception:  when designated as PAGER,
>and called from man, less displays escape sequences as "^[<whatever>",
>so you end up with a lot of garbage on the screen, and no highlighting,
>underlining or whatever.  I've installed less on several systems and
>have never seen this bizarre behavior before.

Edit the /usr/bin/man script so that it does

    mypager="$PAGER"

rather than

    mypager="ul | $PAGER"

and the escape sequence junk will go away. I'd also recommend using different
LESS options under A/UX commandshell windows: in particular if you use
scrolling rather than "clear screen" or "overwrite" then you will be able to
scroll backwards through the manual page using the CommandShell scrollbars,
rather than having to use less to do it.

We are using less version 48, and define LESS=mqewh20. Personally I don't like
the attempt to do bold headings and so I don't have PAGER defined, but it does
work properly as described above.
--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP

wfp@panix.uucp (Bill Phillips) in <1991Jan9.083632.11854@panix.uucp> writes:

	I've been trying to get less working on this system, which runs a/ux,
	and it seems to work just fine with one exception: when designated as
	PAGER, and called from man, less displays escape sequences as
	"^[<whatever>", so you end up with a lot of garbage on the screen, and
	no highlighting, underlining or whatever.  I've installed less on
	several systems and have never seen this bizarre behavior before.

Sigh.  WHAT version of less, what are your compile options, what is the
setting of 'term' (e.g. ``$ echo $TERM'' to find out), etc etc

I've compiled the EXACT same version of less (ver.5) to run under all of SysV
on my 3B1 systems, HP-UX 3.* and 7.*, A/UX 2.0, etc. and it works PERFECTLY
with "man" as $PAGER on all of them.  Note, though, I had to "fix" termcap and
terminfo under A/UX for proper VT100/VT200 support (since most my usage is
over the serial or net ports since I dislike the glare on the Apple monitors),
but no change was required to use the Mac's console.

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com ]

sukes@eng.umd.edu (Tasuki Hirata) (01/11/91)

In article <37824@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>wfp@panix.uucp (Bill Phillips) in <1991Jan9.083632.11854@panix.uucp> writes:
>
>	I've been trying to get less working on this system, which runs a/ux,
>	and it seems to work just fine with one exception: when designated as
>	PAGER, and called from man, less displays escape sequences as
>	"^[<whatever>", so you end up with a lot of garbage on the screen, and
>	no highlighting, underlining or whatever.  I've installed less on
>	several systems and have never seen this bizarre behavior before.
>
>I've compiled the EXACT same version of less (ver.5) to run under all of SysV
>on my 3B1 systems, HP-UX 3.* and 7.*, A/UX 2.0, etc. and it works PERFECTLY
>with "man" as $PAGER on all of them.  Note, though, I had to "fix" termcap and
>terminfo under A/UX for proper VT100/VT200 support (since most my usage is
>over the serial or net ports since I dislike the glare on the Apple monitors),
>but no change was required to use the Mac's console.
>
>Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com ]

My kludge was to edit /usr/bin/man....

	change mypager="ul | $PAGER" to "$PAGER"

Don't have to edit the termcap....

--
/ Tasuki Hirata (sukes@eng.umd.edu) | Intel 80486:                  /
/ UUCP: uunet!eng.umd.edu!sukes     | Power Tool for the Power Fool /

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) (01/11/91)

In <37824@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:

>I've compiled the EXACT same version of less (ver.5) to run under all of SysV
>on my 3B1 systems, HP-UX 3.* and 7.*, A/UX 2.0, etc. and it works PERFECTLY
>with "man" as $PAGER on all of them.  Note, though, I had to "fix" termcap and
>terminfo under A/UX for proper VT100/VT200 support (since most my usage is
>over the serial or net ports since I dislike the glare on the Apple monitors),
>but no change was required to use the Mac's console.

I'd be interested in the termcap and terminfo fixes for proper VT100/VT200
support (could these make it into A/UX 2.0.1 please someone?).

When you compiled less did you do it for "A/UX 2.0 as a SysV system" or "A/UX
2.0 as a BSD system" (or even "A/UX 2.0 as a POSIX system)? What A/UX specific
#defines and libraries do you instinctively reach for when you first try
compiling a new system?
--

ron@afsg.apple.com (Ron Flax) (01/12/91)

In article <1991Jan9.083632.11854@panix.uucp> wfp@panix.uucp (Bill Phillips) writes:

>I've been trying to get less working on this system, which runs a/ux, and
>it seems to work just fine with one exception:  when designated as PAGER,
>and called from man, less displays escape sequences as "^[<whatever>",
>so you end up with a lot of garbage on the screen, and no highlighting,
>underlining or whatever.  I've installed less on several systems and
>have never seen this bizarre behavior before.

What you want to do is modify the /usr/bin/man script, the problem is
that it calls /usr/bin/ul to do underlining before calling $PAGER, and
this causes behavoir that is incompatible with less.

Change the line that reads:
	mypager="ul | $PAGER"
	mypager="$PAGER -s "

--