[comp.unix.aux] Interchangeability Fx/Cx

seibel@bbn.com (Fred Seibel) (01/17/91)

Is it possible to take the disk and system configured for a MacIIcx, and plug
it into a MacIIfx and expect it to work without any reconfiguration?

fred
seibel@bbn.com
617-873-2445

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) (01/17/91)

In article <62149@bbn.BBN.COM> seibel@bbn.com (Fred Seibel) writes:

>Is it possible to take the disk and system configured for a MacIIcx, and plug
>it into a MacIIfx and expect it to work without any reconfiguration?

Interesting theoretical question. I don't personally know if you
have for instance same cards in the same slot IDs in the machines would
avoid a reconfiguration. In most cases it's maybe better that the
system does a reconfig when encountering new cards though.

Regards, Kent Sandvik

--
Kent Sandvik, Apple Computer Inc, Developer Technical Support
NET:ksand@apple.com, AppleLink: KSAND  DISCLAIMER: Private mumbo-jumbo

steveg@ni.umd.edu (Steve Green) (01/17/91)

In article <48194@apple.Apple.COM> ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) writes:
>In article <62149@bbn.BBN.COM> seibel@bbn.com (Fred Seibel) writes:
>>
>>Is it possible to take the disk and system configured for a MacIIcx, and plug
>>it into a MacIIfx and expect it to work without any reconfiguration?
>
>Interesting theoretical question. I don't personally know if you
>have for instance same cards in the same slot IDs in the machines would
>avoid a reconfiguration. In most cases it's maybe better that the
>system does a reconfig when encountering new cards though.

AUX will reconfigure if ethernet cards are not in the same slots.  As far
as I can remember, it does not care where the monitor card is.  I think AUX
does a sequential search for monitor cards at boot time.

--
Silica gel -- No not eat.				steveg@ni.umd.edu

gmarzot@mbunix.mitre.org (G. Marzot) (01/18/91)

In article <62149@bbn.BBN.COM> seibel@bbn.com (Fred Seibel) writes:
> Is it possible to take the disk and system configured for a MacIIcx, and
plug
> it into a MacIIfx and expect it to work without any reconfiguration?

I would bet yes. I upgraded my II to a IIfx with no difficulties with the
hard drive. Just plug
and play. If it is an external drive you may have to look into some
termination issues.
The IIfx comes with a speacial SCSI terminator - see manual I'm not sure
on the details.
GL
  GSM

Responsibility for the views expressed here
belongs only to myself and not to any organization.