[comp.unix.aux] Mounting Mac O/S disks for back-up

grahams@milton.u.washington.edu (Stephen Graham) (01/26/91)

Sorry if this is in the manual set, but I haven't found it yet.

We have a Mac with one A/UX disk and one Mac O/S disk connected
(these are two separate disks, not partitions)
to a network of Suns. What we'd like to do is mount the Mac disk
on the network so we can dump its contents to our Exabyte tape drives
rather than continue to borrow someone's Apple Tape Drive. Is there
a way to do this?

Configuration:

	Mac IIfx running A/UX 2.0 mounted as a yellow pages client
	on a Sun network running Sun O/S 4.03 and 4.1.1.

Thanks in advance,

Steve Graham
graham@isis.ee.washington.edu

liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts;) (01/28/91)

In <15122@milton.u.washington.edu> grahams@milton.u.washington.edu (Stephen
Graham) writes:

>Sorry if this is in the manual set, but I haven't found it yet.
It isn't.

>We have a Mac with one A/UX disk and one Mac O/S disk connected
>(these are two separate disks, not partitions)
>to a network of Suns. What we'd like to do is mount the Mac disk
>on the network so we can dump its contents to our Exabyte tape drives
>rather than continue to borrow someone's Apple Tape Drive. Is there
>a way to do this?

No, but you can consider the following options:

1) Use the MacDump (?) program which is floating around in the MacOS world and
which talks to a UNIX host using standard rmt protocols to dump a Mac
filesystem. A version of this which works through MacTCP would probably work
under A/UX 2.0 and should do proper incremental dumping. Can't say as I've
ever tried it though.

2) Use dd under A/UX to save the complete disk image onto the Exabyte. This
has the advantage of being much faster than any file-level dumping, but of
course you have to pull back the whole thing: you can't get back individual
files. The device names to look at are (for SCSI id X)

    /dev/dsk/cXd0s31 - the complete disk image including MacOS drivers
    /dev/dsk/cXd0s30 - the HFS volume only

The dp program will tell you about the partition sizes, and the block device
drivers won't let you run off the end anyway.
--

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam@cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam@qmw-cs.UUCP

sramtrc@windy.dsir.govt.nz (01/29/91)

In article <15122@milton.u.washington.edu>, grahams@milton.u.washington.edu (Stephen Graham) writes:
> to a network of Suns. What we'd like to do is mount the Mac disk
> on the network so we can dump its contents to our Exabyte tape drives

As far as I know the only way to mount Mac disks when A/UX is running is
to run MacOS, and then the only programs that can access the disk are
MacOS programs. Since there are no MacOS programs (that I know of) that
do backups using the underlying UNIX facilities you are restricted to
ordinary MacOS programs. Hence this question belongs in one of the
comp.sys.mac newsgroups ("belongs" just means that you will probably
get a better answer there). I know that there are utilities for doing
backups over TCP/IP networks. There is at least one free utility for
this too.

For a pure A/UX solution you can do image backups. If x is the scsi ID
of your Mac drive then /dev/rdsk/cxd0s30 contains the image of your
HFS partition. You can access it under A/UX as a raw image eg you can
do dd if=/dev/rdsk/cxd0s30 | rsh remotemachine ... where ... is the
remote backup command you want to use. If you have more than one partition
on the dribe you can use pname(1) to access the others.

Maybe one day Apple will release UNIX drivers for the HFS filesystem.
It won't be an easy job writing the stuff so don't bank on it.

Tony Cooper
sramtrc@albert.dsir.govt.nz

pbuck@tcs.com (Peter Buckner) (01/30/91)

There is, to my limited knowledge only one MacOS backup program which can
also back up A/UX partitions. It works from MacOS (not A/UX), and backs up
a full partition at a time. I use Nuvo Lab's ExpressTape to my T150.  I use Retrospect for all my Mac stuff, and then ExpressTape to get the A/UX partitions (on a separate tape).