[comp.unix.aux] A/UX and LaserWriter driver v. 6.0

rindle@informatik.uni-ulm.de (Kurt Rindle) (01/29/91)

Does anybody now, how I can use another LW driver with A/UX 2.0 than the
one delivered with it. (i.e. v. 5.2 or so)
It's because we have an AT network and every MacOS Macintosh uses the newer
LW driver. This forces to reinitialize the printer over and over again.
I tried it by creating a Personal Systemfolder and changing the link to a
new LW 6.0 driver from the German SSW 6.05. But it didn't work. I also tried
to use another LaserPrep.
Does anybody have experienes with that subject?

Help!!

--
Kurt Rindle

arpp@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (arpp) (02/02/91)

In article <1991Jan29.134335.8910@informatik.uni-ulm.de> rindlenformatik.uni-ulm.de (Kurt Rindle) writes:
>Does anybody now, how I can use another LW driver with A/UX 2.0 than the
>one delivered with it. (i.e. v. 5.2 or so)
>It's because we have an AT network and every MacOS Macintosh uses the newer
>LW driver. This forces to reinitialize the printer over and over again.
>I tried it by creating a Personal Systemfolder and changing the link to a
>new LW 6.0 driver from the German SSW 6.05. But it didn't work. I also tried
>to use another LaserPrep.
>Does anybody have experienes with that subject?
>
>Help!!
>
>--
>Kurt Rindle

You can use any LaserWriter print driver. I am using the System 7b2 print
drivers to match the other folks in this work area. The trick (with the
System 7 stuff anyway) was to bring the LaserWriter, Laser Prep, and the
PrintMonitor for that rev. level. I don't think that this is as important
for the 5.2 to 6.0 versions. I would do what you did, make a personal System
Folder, but then I would remove the LaserWriter driver and copy the new
version of LaserWriter into your System Folder. There is a know problem. Make
sure that you choose a printer, any printer, from a login that uses the
global System Folder before you make a personal System Folder and try to
print.

Also, make sure that you log out and then back in again to make your
personal System Folder the "blessed" System Folder.

-ped-