[comp.unix.aux] A/UX install

jms@apple.com (John Michael Sovereign) (03/01/91)

In a previous article barnett@grymoire.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) writes:
> The A/UX install is not compatible with any other version of
> install I have ever used. I really don't understand why Apple would
> break a common Unix utility. The simple
>
>         install file directory
>
> command does not work with A/UX. Can someone explain to me the reason?

I guess you've never used a System V version of install.  For good and
bad, the A/UX utilities are largely System V based and install is not an
exception.  Install was enhanced for A/UX 2.0 to accept Berkeley-style
arguments, but the default behavior for System V install is to complain when
the target does not exist.  Sigh.

       [root@glasnost-5] install foobar /bin
       install: foobar was not found anywhere!

On System V, you must specify a directory with -n or -f in order to
install a target which does not exist.

              [root@glasnost-13] install -n /bin foobar /bin
              foobar installed as /bin/foobar by default!

John Sovereign
jms@apple.com

#include <std/disclaimer.h>