[comp.unix.aux] Setting up UUCP under A/UX 2.0

dittman@skbat.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) (02/27/91)

I'm trying to set my A/UX 2.0 system for UUCP with no success.  I've followed
the directions in the manuals with no luck.  I've also tried a few things that
I thought wouldn't work, and no luck there, either.  I've been able to set the
system up to allow incoming calls, but I can't set the system up for outgoing
calls with cu (or kermit).  I have a 2400 baud modem on tty0 with the correct
cable.

My /usr/lib/uucp/L-devices:

DIR tty0 0 2400

My /usr/lib/uucp/L.sys:

site1 Any tty0 2400 "" "" ATDTxxxxxxx\r\ (rest of string deleted, since I'm
                                          not even getting this far)

I have uncommented the lines in sysinitrc so the following are executed:

/bin/chmod 666 /dev/tty0
/bin/chown daemon /dev/tty0
/bin/chgrp daemon /dev/tty0

I've tried:

00:2:off:/etc/getty tty0 at_2400 (and mo_2400)
do:2:off:/etc/getty tty0 at_2400 (and mo_2400)

and I've also tried combining these.  I've also tried the documented setup
to allow calls in both directions.

cu -ltty0 dir fails to make a connection, but the TR light on the modem does
come on, and after the attempt is about halfway to failing the TR flashes
once.

cu site1 gives the error that the device/destination is unknown.

So, what am I doing wrong?  Can anyone help?

Thanks
--
Eric Dittman
Texas Instruments - Component Test Facility

Disclaimer:  I don't speak for Texas Instruments or the Component Test
             Facility.  I don't even speak for myself.

paul@athertn.Atherton.COM (Paul Sander) (02/28/91)

In article <1991Feb27.010920.421@skbat.csc.ti.com> dittman@skbat.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) writes:
>I'm trying to set my A/UX 2.0 system for UUCP with no success.  I've followed
>the directions in the manuals with no luck.  I've also tried a few things that
>I thought wouldn't work, and no luck there, either.  I've been able to set the
>system up to allow incoming calls, but I can't set the system up for outgoing
>calls with cu (or kermit).  I have a 2400 baud modem on tty0 with the correct
>cable.

[stuff omitted]

>I have uncommented the lines in sysinitrc so the following are executed:
>
>/bin/chmod 666 /dev/tty0
>/bin/chown daemon /dev/tty0
>/bin/chgrp daemon /dev/tty0
>
>I've tried:
>
>00:2:off:/etc/getty tty0 at_2400 (and mo_2400)
>do:2:off:/etc/getty tty0 at_2400 (and mo_2400)
>
>and I've also tried combining these.  I've also tried the documented setup
>to allow calls in both directions.
>
>cu -ltty0 dir fails to make a connection, but the TR light on the modem does
>come on, and after the attempt is about halfway to failing the TR flashes
>once.
>
>cu site1 gives the error that the device/destination is unknown.

I had a similar problem, and found that Appletalk was running on that
serial port.  Try disabling Appletalk at the end of your /etc/rc file and
see what happens.
--
Paul Sander        (408) 734-9822  | "Passwords are like underwear," she said,
paul@Atherton.COM                  | "Both should be changed often."

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (03/01/91)

dittman@skbat.csc.ti.com (Eric Dittman) writes:
>I'm trying to set my A/UX 2.0 system for UUCP with no success.  I've followed
>the directions in the manuals with no luck.  I've also tried a few things that
>I thought wouldn't work, and no luck there, either.  I've been able to set the
>system up to allow incoming calls, but I can't set the system up for outgoing
>calls with cu (or kermit).  I have a 2400 baud modem on tty0 with the correct
>cable.

Do you now? It's really easy to screw this up. In particular, the average
mail-order (or dealer-bought) "mac to modem" cable won't work. You need
the usual ground, TxD-, and RxD- lines attached, but you also must have
Mac's Hski and Hsko lines connected to DCD and DTR, respectively. Also, (and
this is true for all mac 232 cables) RxD+ must be tied to ground.

>My /usr/lib/uucp/L-devices:
>
>DIR tty0 0 2400

Try "DIR tty0 tty0 2400"
It's not documented right but the sample file _does_ give the right idea.

>My /usr/lib/uucp/L.sys:
>
>site1 Any tty0 2400 "" "" ATDTxxxxxxx\r\ (rest of string deleted, since I'm
>                                          not even getting this far)

site1 Any tty0 a2400 tty0 "" AT[etc.]
DO NOT use "2400", use "a2400".  No, I don't remember why. Yes, it's documented.
No, Apple's docs aren't the ones that cover this...

>I have uncommented the lines in sysinitrc so the following are executed:
>
>/bin/chmod 666 /dev/tty0
>/bin/chown daemon /dev/tty0
>/bin/chgrp daemon /dev/tty0
>
>I've tried:
>
>00:2:off:/etc/getty tty0 at_2400 (and mo_2400)
>do:2:off:/etc/getty tty0 at_2400 (and mo_2400)

You need "00:2:respawn:/etc/getty tty0 mo_2400" for dialin. Use "off" instead
of "respawn" for dialout.

>and I've also tried combining these.  I've also tried the documented setup
>to allow calls in both directions.

This doesn't work. Getty now respects uucp locking, which is great, but it
leaves the line with modem control on ("stty modem"). So uucico can't open
the line, and dialout fails. There are two ways to fix this:

1) cut DTR on your cable. This is great, except that when you hangup on a
session you don't get logged out. No problem if you're not worried about
security.
2) Instead of invoking a dialout directly from cron, invoke a shell script that
first uses "styy -modem" on the line, and turns modem back on after uucico
is done. (Use "trap" so that if uucico dumps core, you can still dial in.)
If your needs are simple you can simply modify uudemon.hr.

I am using both of these techniques on a five-line A/UX system.

>cu -ltty0 dir fails to make a connection, but the TR light on the modem does
>come on, and after the attempt is about halfway to failing the TR flashes
>once.
>
>cu site1 gives the error that the device/destination is unknown.

It doesn't like your L.sys.

Some miscellaneous tips:
1) Look in the archives. I've addressed this in the past. So have a few others.
2) Don't forget to add the following line to uudemon.hr (or whatever dialout
script you devise) BEFORE using uucico: "TZ=/bin/cat /etc/TIMEZONE ; export TZ"
3) Replace the uuxqt with the FTPable copy at apple, or get my uuxqt.wrap hack
which was posted months ago.

Good luck... You'll need it. :-(
---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis