[comp.unix.aux] A/UX and System 7.0

henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) (03/02/91)

As there  hasn't been a System  Software update out  since I picked up
A/UX (well, 6.0.7 but it was mostly  bug fixes), I was wondering about
A/UX and System 7.0.  Do I need a  special version of  Sys 7 for A/UX,
if so, is it/will it be part of the A/UX 2.0.1 update?  Can I just use
Installer to put it into  the  appropriate System Folders?   Enquiring
minds want to know!
--
  H3nry C. Schmitt     | CompuServe: 72275,1456  (Rarely)
 Royal Inn of Yoruba   | UUCP: Henry@chinet.chi.il.us  (Best Bet)

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) (03/03/91)

In article <1991Mar01.213402.10109@chinet.chi.il.us> henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) writes:
>As there  hasn't been a System  Software update out  since I picked up
>A/UX (well, 6.0.7 but it was mostly  bug fixes), I was wondering about
>A/UX and System 7.0.  Do I need a  special version of  Sys 7 for A/UX,
>if so, is it/will it be part of the A/UX 2.0.1 update?  Can I just use
>Installer to put it into  the  appropriate System Folders?   Enquiring
>minds want to know!

MacOX emulation is provided by a layer that resides between the
Macintosh application and the toolbox ROM and the A/UX kernel. Any
new functionaly, like System 7, has to be taken into consideration in
this layer - it does not help to just install a new MacOS system on
top of A/UX. A/UX 2.0.1 does not have any System 7 features, because
System 7 is not even officially released yet.

Regards,
Kent Sandvik

--
Kent Sandvik, Apple Computer Inc, Developer Technical Support
NET:ksand@apple.com, AppleLink: KSAND  DISCLAIMER: Private mumbo-jumbo

rsarin@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Raman K. Sarin) (03/03/91)

In article <49811@apple.Apple.COM> ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) writes:
>In article <1991Mar01.213402.10109@chinet.chi.il.us> henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) writes:
>>As there  hasn't been a System  Software update out  since I picked up
>>A/UX (well, 6.0.7 but it was mostly  bug fixes), I was wondering about
>>A/UX and System 7.0.  Do I need a  special version of  Sys 7 for A/UX,
>>if so, is it/will it be part of the A/UX 2.0.1 update?  Can I just use
>>Installer to put it into  the  appropriate System Folders?   Enquiring
>>minds want to know!
>
>MacOX emulation is provided by a layer that resides between the
>Macintosh application and the toolbox ROM and the A/UX kernel. Any
>new functionaly, like System 7, has to be taken into consideration in
>this layer - it does not help to just install a new MacOS system on
>top of A/UX. A/UX 2.0.1 does not have any System 7 features, because
>System 7 is not even officially released yet.

  In other words Kent, you can't tell us anything about system 7 and A/UX which
probably means that it's going to be a major pain to upgrade to 7 if you are
running AUX judging by Apple previous record.   Anyway, I've seen the system
7 beta release (having worked at a company that had good reason to have it)
and it's really very sharp, I must say, but while installing it I didn't notice
anything mentioning AUX, but then again I wasn't really paying much attention
to the system.

   Somebody mentioned the MACH10 OS for the Mac, and the number is
   1-800-6-MACH-10, and the add does depict a Mac Classic running the software.
   I've asked for an informational package, but it's not here yet, if
   anyone knows anything about this I'd appreciate an answer.

And now my question:  In a previous article it's mentioned that inserting a
line like "TBMEMORY=10M" in your .login will allow the Mac shell to run with
10M of virtual memory, where do you put this line?  I have it in my personal
.login, and in the one at the root level but neither seems to do the trick,
Also I did read the manpage for Login, and couldn't see any references to
this variable there at all?   Any help please?

-Raman Sarin

In article <?25-*B%@rpi.edu> rsarin@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Raman K. Sarin) writes:
>In article <49811@apple.Apple.COM> ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) writes:

>  In other words Kent, you can't tell us anything about system 7 and A/UX which
>probably means that it's going to be a major pain to upgrade to 7 if you are
>running AUX judging by Apple previous record.   Anyway, I've seen the system
>7 beta release (having worked at a company that had good reason to have it)
>and it's really very sharp, I must say, but while installing it I didn't notice
>anything mentioning AUX, but then again I wasn't really paying much attention
>to the system.

As I said earlier, the one-button installer installs a System 7 System
to the hard disk. A/UX has a sophisticated emulation layer that has
to be tweaked a little bit before features in System 7 works. Note
that A/UX supports the ROM Toolbox features, but concerning the RAM
patches/features there's some work to be done with each new System release.

I can't speak about unannounced products and talk about things that
might or might not happen. I think that history may judge if a possible
System 7 feature upgrading of A/UX was a slow one or a fast one :-).
Please let not use that old dusty crystal ball.

For instance it will take 6-9 months before the final MacApp 3.0
release level supports System 7 features. Even if work can go on
in parallel with System 7 features the real System 7 has to be final
before any other dependent tools/operating systems can be upgraded.

>And now my question:  In a previous article it's mentioned that inserting a
>line like "TBMEMORY=10M" in your .login will allow the Mac shell to run with
>10M of virtual memory, where do you put this line?  I have it in my personal
>.login, and in the one at the root level but neither seems to do the trick,
>Also I did read the manpage for Login, and couldn't see any references to
>this variable there at all?   Any help please?

.login assumes that you use csh as your default shell, and in UNIX
cshell variables are set using 'setenv TBMEMORY 10M', while in
bourne shell (i.e. .profile) you use 'TBMEMORY=10M;export TBMEMORY'.
Maybe this is the problem?

regards,
Kent Sandvik (trying to do some work on a Saturday)