[comp.unix.aux] A/UX 2.0.1

rsarin@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Raman K. Sarin) (03/04/91)

I was pokeing around Apple.com (anonymous ftp) today and found this file called
2.0.1.newunix.Z  What is this?  is this the new kernel for updating A/UX 2.0
to A/UX 2.0.1 ?  If so how do you use it?  I've been messing about with it
and there seem to be no associated read me files, and it doesn't like executing
at all.

Thank's

-Raman Sarin

p.s. Over on Comp.sys.mac.system they say System 7 is now out, and you can
      get it at any Apple Dealer just for those of you who don't read that
      forum ( oh and I'm passing this along, if it's wrong don't blame me
      I haven't bothered to check it out yet)

ron@afsg.apple.com (Ron Flax) (03/04/91)

In article <NR6-AQ?@rpi.edu> rsarin@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Raman K. Sarin) writes:
>I was pokeing around Apple.com (anonymous ftp) today and found this file called
>2.0.1.newunix.Z  What is this?  is this the new kernel for updating A/UX 2.0
>to A/UX 2.0.1 ?  If so how do you use it?  I've been messing about with it
>and there seem to be no associated read me files, and it doesn't like executing
>at all.

I suspect that file was probably left there by some unsuspecting Apple
person for some internal purpose.. upgrading from a 2.0 to 2.0.1 kernel
won't buy you much, since most of the changes consist of updates to the
mac environment, and the user commands.

Also.. the machines that you want to be "poking" around for A/UX goodies
are "support.aux.apple.com", and "afsg.apple.com", NOT apple.com.

>p.s. Over on Comp.sys.mac.system they say System 7 is now out, and you can
>      get it at any Apple Dealer just for those of you who don't read that
>      forum ( oh and I'm passing this along, if it's wrong don't blame me
>      I haven't bothered to check it out yet)

This is DEAD WRONG!  System 7 **BETA** has been seeded to selected Apple
developers for the sole purpose of making it possible for them to port
or upgrade their commercial apps so that when System 7 *is* released
the vast majority of mac software continues to run, as expected.

You will have a very difficult (read impossible) time getting System 7
from an Apple dealer at this point.  If you do, that dealer is no doing
the right thing.

--
Ron Flax
ron@afsg.apple.com

ksand@Apple.COM (Kent Sandvik) (03/05/91)

In article <NR6-AQ?@rpi.edu> rsarin@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Raman K. Sarin) writes:
>I was pokeing around Apple.com (anonymous ftp) today and found this file called
>2.0.1.newunix.Z  What is this?  is this the new kernel for updating A/UX 2.0
>to A/UX 2.0.1 ?  If so how do you use it?  I've been messing about with it
>and there seem to be no associated read me files, and it doesn't like executing
>at all.

Well, I don't know either what it is, certainly not a kernel.

>p.s. Over on Comp.sys.mac.system they say System 7 is now out, and you can
>      get it at any Apple Dealer just for those of you who don't read that
>      forum ( oh and I'm passing this along, if it's wrong don't blame me
>      I haven't bothered to check it out yet)

PSS: Don't trust comp.sys.mac.system rumors.

Kent

--
Kent Sandvik, Apple Computer Inc, Developer Technical Support
NET:ksand@apple.com, AppleLink: KSAND  DISCLAIMER: Private mumbo-jumbo

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (03/05/91)

In article <NR6-AQ?@rpi.edu> rsarin@aix01.aix.rpi.edu (Raman K. Sarin) writes:
>I was pokeing around Apple.com (anonymous ftp) today and found this file called
>2.0.1.newunix.Z  What is this?  is this the new kernel for updating A/UX 2.0
>to A/UX 2.0.1 ?  If so how do you use it?  I've been messing about with it
>and there seem to be no associated read me files, and it doesn't like executing
>at all.

I suspect this is the /etc/config.d/newunix for 2.0.1.
Totally useless unless you've got the 2.0.1 Beta already.

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix, NY
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis